“Maybe.....”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Maybe.....”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Pros:
-Clean Room
-Room Service Available
-Front Desk Staff Pleasant and Helpful
-Nicely lit meeting space
-Okay distance to event location (Art Museum)
-Was able to check in early
-Was able to modify reservation
-Plenty of Luggage carriers

Cons:
-AREA IS UNDER HEAVY CONSTRUCTION! Downtown is growing so be on the alert
-Not enough towels and qty not replenished
-Room Service sslllooowwwwww
-They FRY their steaks!
-Broken Air Conditioner - took hours to get fixed - and the fact that he was ready and able to replace the unit tells me they were already aware of the issue.
-Poor staffing, attitude of staff and late opening of restaurant/bar
-Meeting room tables not correct - was not offered correction by hotel staff who was meadering around picking and choosing who he would help. I was unable to leave my table to run after him for the brief time he was in the room.
-NO ONE to help you to your room - hotel is understaffed - one person at desk, one in dining/bar area....

Overall I was satisfied - but this is NOT a "destination" hotel - just a clean place to hang your hat when in town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
123staff, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay here in Allentown, I appreciate you leaving feedback in regards to your stay here with us. We will make sure to make some changes in the areas where we can improve. Thank you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Madison, Virginia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hotel was rated 3 stars on Hotwire. I feel that the rating was a bit high. The hotel was acceptable - lobby smelled of chlorine - rooms were only average in condition. Hotel was located in a questionable part of Allentown - more like the slums! My husband was with me and I was still leery of staying there. We would not stay there again for any reason.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
123staff, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We regret to hear that you didn't feel safe in the area, and our lobby smells like chlorine because our indoor swimming pool is right of the lobby. We take our guests feedback seriously so we will do what we can to make things better for our guests.
Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn City Center Allentown for the IlluXCon convention. It was the convention hotel. It was nice & offered an affordable conference rate of $89/night plus tax. The garage parking was really affordable...$6/day. This was the least expensive hotel we stayed in on our cross-country trip to get to PA.

The bulk of the convention was at the Allentown Museum of Art, which was about a 1/2 mile walk along Hamilton. There were enough restaurants nearby & it seemed generally safe during the day or in a group. Although it is advised to not wander around aimlessly off the beaten path.

Within walking distance, there is a lovely linear park with a hike/bike path along the Lehigh River. And there are some nice parks within 3-5 miles.

Being from the Southwest, I had preconceived notions of Allentown that were a bit off. It actually is a pretty interesting town that has a lovely park system, interesting architecture & a history.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SweetHopfrog
We are happy to hear that we were able to provide great service for you and your entire group that was here. We look forward to having you guys again next year!
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a good-but-not-great hotel in the center of Allentown. (It's a bit hard to find because its address is on Hamilton, but the entrance is around the side and not really visible.) There was nothing outstanding, but nothing really bad. (My two complaints are that they stuck us in a double-double, which made the beds way too small and uncomfortable, and the shower exhaust fan blew *in*. Smelled pretty good in the morning, though, with the odor of breakfast coming in.) The wifi was wimpy.

Room Tip: Don't get a double-double!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkLOlson
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay here with us, we will work on making it easier to see the location of the hotel. We apologize you weren't put in a room that best fit your and your guests. If your ever in the area again please give us another try.
Atlantic City area
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I wanted to extend my husband's ski trip at Bear Creek Mountain, so I jumped on a bidding site and was offered a low price on a "3 star hotel" in Allentown.

To preface: All the staff at this hotel are actually very lovely, and I feel sorry for them. They obviously care and are doing the best they can. I called Holiday Inn Corporate this morning to complain.

The air quality in our room was so bad that we started having breathing problems and migraines. I had a couple of surgical masks (from a visit to an immuno-compromised relative) in our luggage, so we wore them so we could get some sleep. Holiday Inn Corporate did NOTHING. They saw that I was a bidding website customer, called me "price conscious," called the Front Desk before we checked out (which I asked him NOT to do), and said he could get us a room at Staybridge or the other Holiday Inn for $120-140.

Here's the problem. Based on basic amenities, I suppose this hotel has certain things: attached restaurant, morning breakfast, pool, fitness center, etc. The problem is that the hotel is super-old, with really bad air in the ductwork. The room is also sub-par. In order to fix the problem, I think the hotel would have to start from scratch, demolish the whole thing, or rip out all the ductwork. Expensive, right?

And since the clients of the hotel are either people who don't mind or notice, or are coming off of bidding websites, the hotel figures it can sacrifice the quality and just keep riding along. Corporate clients would certainly never stay here, so they keep it as a lower-tier hotel. I am FURIOUS at the bidding website for scamming me with a "3 star" rating. This is a 2 star hotel, at best. If you have a choice, DO NOT STAY HERE. If you are booking in the Allentown area with blind bids: PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Here's the other tip, folks: if you have an annoyed customer like me, coming of a bidding website, you might offer me 50% off a room at your chain of hotels for a 2nd night. And maybe don't insult me and call me "price conscious." Then you wouldn't have a "price conscious" but SOCIAL MEDIA SAVVY person, angry and writing bad reviews on Trip Advisor. Bad form, Holiday Inn. Bad form.

Room Tip: There are a ton of hotels up the road. Go there!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nayacat
We regret to hear that you couldn't breath in your room while you were here with us, we are looking in to that to see what we can do to make it better for our guests. We take guest comments very seriously and are working to make things better every day.
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Don't let prior bad reviews of this hotel scare you. It's got a parking garage, on site restaurant that served a breakfast buffet for only $8.95, clean comfortable rooms, coffee makers and coffee in the lounge. Fridges with ice compartment in the suites. I booked a room here since it was the preferred hotel for my event. But I was afraid. No need to worry. I was pleasantly surprised by the helpful staff and the amenities. It's not fabulous for the price, but it's fine. I'll stay here again. The only thing that was a surprise was that the entrance is on the side street. You have to turn right immediately after passing the front of the hotel. (I wish someone had told me that when I booked my room.) The pool looked clean and was a cute squarish shape--not suitable for lap swimming.

Room Tip: Suites are large with a king bed, closet, and kitchen with an ice compartment in the fridge! Perfect...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank waltzlover
123staff, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel, we appreciate you stating that you enjoyed your stay. Next time your in the area please choose us as your local where you will stay.
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Allentown. Overall it was a good experience -- with a few pros and cons.

We arrived late at night, and the man at the desk was extremely friendly and helpful. In fact, every staff member we met was very pleasant -- answering our questions, helping us print out materials at the front desk and making sure we had everything we needed.

The room was pretty standard. I'm not sure if I'd call it a 3-star hotel (as described by Priceline), but it was clean. It also had great AC, which is always a good thing. Some of the cons included beds that weren't all that comfortable, a broken ice machine on our floor, no fridge or microwave in the room and a fee for parking ($6). It was also disappointing that housekeeping never cleaned our room during our two-night stay.

The surrounding area is a little iffy, but I didn't find it to be as bad as some other reviewers. The street on which it's located is actually kind of charming, and it looks to me as if they are trying to build up the area. My boyfriend and I went out walking around midnight -- no one bothered us and we felt safe. We went into the Allentown BrewWorks -- a fantastic pub that's about a block away. I highly recommend you check it out if you stay here. The hotel is also close to Dorney Park -- about 3 miles. Though there are plenty of hotels across from the park -- including a Holiday Inn.

So if you need to be in the area, it's not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MBear24
123staff, Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We appreciate you leaving a review of the hotel and we hope that you come stay with us again if your in the area again.