“Great Hotel with great service”

Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We actually bidded for a 3 star hotel and we got the holiday inn at allentown for like 75$. In my opinion it was great for its money. The service was awesome. They treated us like Kings and Queens. If you sign up for Priority club membership you can either get a free cocktail drink at the bar or free breakfast. The restaurant looked decent but we ended up going to out a local restaurant in the neighborhood. Dorney park is just minutes away. Loved the hotel and would plan to go back. I did get a little discouraged by reading the reviews about how the neighborhood was not that great but if you don't bother anyone no one will bother you.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Allentown Center City

Reviewed June 20, 2008

I was very worried about this hotel considering all of the negative reviews. I got it off of Priceline so didn't know what I recieved until after the fact. I was pleasantly surprised upon my arrival. I'll admit you do have to go through some "not so nice" areas of town before getting to the hotel and it certainly isn't the greatest area however nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. The actual street that the hotel is on is decent - not a lot to see but not "scary" either. I would feel fine walking around at night or having a beer at one of the outside tables at the Allentown Brewery but wouldn't want to go a couple of streets down. The hotel seems a little dated but on the same note seems clean and comfortable with big rooms. The restaurant looks very nice, however I haven't eaten there so have no comment either way on the food, the bar attached is very nice with a pooltable. The swimming pool isn't huge but it's a perfectly good size as far as I'm concerned. It 's also very clean with towels and nice wicker chairs and the water is nice and warm. My kids were more than thrilled. I have to recommend a wonderful restaurant one block down on the right as you leave the hotel. It's called the Allentown Brewery, the food was excellent! The french onion soup was to die for and the house brewed beer was fantastic. I got the ribs which were great and the cheesecake was delicious. Our waiter was Jason and he was honostly the best waiter I've ever had. Anyway, just wanted to put more of a positive spin on the hotel. I would definatly go back. Staff is also very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

The Crowne Plaza has been "demoted" to a Holiday Inn by the chain. A smart move because this hotel is far more functional than luxurious.

A lot of people complain about the neighborhood, but I didn't find it dodgy. It is a downtown location in an old city, but I didn't feel unsafe there (admittedly, I didn't walk the streets either). Parking is $6, unless you find a spot on the street (but the meters begin running at 8, and its an expensive 25 cents per 15 minutes).

My room was decent (watch for scalding water in the sink), and the property is undertaking a renovation. It's necessary, because things are looking a bit tired.

Had breakfast in the restaurant because I had my kids and, with Holiday Inn, kids are free. Front desk said there would be a buffet, but they didn't offer it that morning due to low occupancy. The food from the menu was pretty bad -- probably the worst eggs I've been served this year. Drive to the nearby Farmer's Market for breakfast if it's open that day.

I received this hotel on a $41 priceline bid for a 3 star. At that price, it was fine. But, if paying my way, I would have preferred an "easier" suburban location. Not much reason to stay downtown in Allentown unless you have some business there.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed January 17, 2008

Inside of hotel very nice. Restaurant was OK. Downtown location is horrible. In a very bad area. People were screaming in the streets all night and saying rude things to me. Did not feel safe at all. Heat in room did not work.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank mikeymac15
Reviewed May 6, 2007

My first night at the Crowne Plaza was fine. The room was huge and clean, the king bed was comfortable, and the extras (including a Sony CD player/alarm clock/radio and a sleep CD) were very nice. There was very little noise from outside the room when I went to sleep. All in all, I thought I'd be writing a rave review for TripAdvisor (other than the somewhat dodgy downtown location).

However, all that changed the second night. The hotel was fully booked and while I have no idea who or what was on my floor (8th), it was the most unpleasant night I've ever spent in a hotel/motel, including one-star hotels and Red Roof Inns. People were partying, yelling, and slamming doors. The noise was incredible. After on-and-off sleeping for three hours, I was just about to call the front desk (and maybe even the police) when it stopped at 2:30 AM. Naturally, I then had trouble getting back to sleep.

The next morning, I decided for convenience's sake to have breakfast at the hotel. BIG mistake. While the newly-renovated restaurant was very nice and laid out in an attractive, terraced manner, nothing else was good. I opted for the breakfast buffet, but by the time I got there, almost no food was available (although the buffet still had at least an hour to go). I had to wait 15 minutes for *some* of the items to be replenished, and the food was barely passable. Finally, my waiter never showed up with my check, so I had to get another employee to get it for me. For the second time in my life, I left a two cent tip. When I checked out of the hotel 30 minutes later, the meal charge was not on the bill and they couldn't find my check--so they gave it to me for free, which was certainly appropriate. I was told the restaurant was understaffed, but only about half of the tables were full when I was there, and the servers really did not look that busy.

Friends of mine attending the same event got better deals at other hotels, as well as a good night's sleep. My experience may have been unusual, but I will not stay there again and risk it.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2007

This was my first time at this hotel. I travel to Allentown once or twice a month on business. They refer to the recent renovation. I can’t imagine what it was like prior to the "renovation". My No Smoking room stunk of cigarette smoke, there was a fist size hole in the wall, the security latch was broken, the table lamp was broken, the toilet didn’t flush and I had to pick the paint chips from the fallen ceiling out of the tub. The name sounds upscale but travelers beware! I found the Crown Plaza in Williamsburg, VA to be in the same condition.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank RLPM
Reviewed February 15, 2007

Really nice stay for the money. Nice staff except for the little short balding bartender. Good room and very comfortable bed. The location is convienent. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple