Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
$87
AscendHotels
$63
ComfortInn
Red Roof Inn Allentown Airport(Allentown)(Great Value!)
$69
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
$118
$109
All reviewslittle thingsvery pleasant stayhotel stayrooms were very cleanexercise roomcheckin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Allentown. Overall it was a good experience -- with a few pros and cons.

We arrived late at night, and the man at the desk was extremely friendly and helpful. In fact, every staff member we met was very pleasant -- answering our questions, helping us print out materials at the front desk and making sure we had everything we needed.

The room was pretty standard. I'm not sure if I'd call it a 3-star hotel (as described by Priceline), but it was clean. It also had great AC, which is always a good thing. Some of the cons included beds that weren't all that comfortable, a broken ice machine on our floor, no fridge or microwave in the room and a fee for parking ($6). It was also disappointing that housekeeping never cleaned our room during our two-night stay.

The surrounding area is a little iffy, but I didn't find it to be as bad as some other reviewers. The street on which it's located is actually kind of charming, and it looks to me as if they are trying to build up the area. My boyfriend and I went out walking around midnight -- no one bothered us and we felt safe. We went into the Allentown BrewWorks -- a fantastic pub that's about a block away. I highly recommend you check it out if you stay here. The hotel is also close to Dorney Park -- about 3 miles. Though there are plenty of hotels across from the park -- including a Holiday Inn.

So if you need to be in the area, it's not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MBear24
123staff, Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

We appreciate you leaving a review of the hotel and we hope that you come stay with us again if your in the area again.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is located in the ghetto I was afraid for my life and the safety of my family. The hotel it's self is very dirty trash thrown in the lobby floor upon entering and the horrible smell of this hotel made me sick. How do you offer a pool and it doesn't work?? Due to the location and the cleanliness issue I would never stay at this property again I had to write this review so you don't waste your time nor money here.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Theadvisor123468
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Theadvisor123468,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 11, 2013

There are 3 1/2 star hotels and then there are relative 3 1/2 star hotels. This hotel relatively speaking in 3 1/2 stars if you compare it to what else is available in Allentown Pennsylvania. I am not going to slam Allentown Pennsylvania as a whole because I was just passing through on business and I know the people there are proud of their town and rightfully so. I will say that a 3 1/2 star hotel, especially a major chain hotel, should be a 3 1/2 star hotel. This is not 3 1/2 star. I honestly feel it could be close to to a 3 but I would give it a solid 2 1/2 star.
Pros:
1.There was in room internet that was complementary at least when I stayed
2.There was a restaurant/lounge associated with the hotel
3.There was on site parking for on $6/night with validated ticket
4. The staff was helpful

Cons:
1. The room which was listed as non smoking smelled like smoke
2. I went to the lounge on a Thursday night, the staff there was eating at the bar and was LOUD and boisterous. Now I do realize that this likely is a nice hang out spot for the local town folks and I do realize that this is also in a region of the country that is more friendly and lively but again 3 1/2 star hotels allow guests, from my experience, to feel some what sequestered from the the surrounding area so you can decompress a bit , as a traveller. I suspect it is a matter of taste.
3. I agree the area at night does not look very safe (I am not necessarily affraid of rough areas. I travel alot but I can see how someone might be a bit wary). That being said, it may be just because Allentown is in a process fo rennovation and there is reclaimation of the downtown area. I did take some pause to make sure things were good when crossing over from the parking structure (an alley/small street separates the two) to the hotel.

In summary it's unfair to completely slam the hotel without taking into consideration that it is located in the heart of an area that may not have seen the best of times in recent years. My only contention is that it is not a 3 1/2 star hotel. If it was listed at 2 1/2 stars it would have that rating solidly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear melafela,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I would also like to apologize for the undesirable smell in the room. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times because I have an ongoing work assignment at one of the major office buildings across the street. As this is really the only hotel in the downtown area, if that's where you want/need to be, this hotel itself is okay. But this part of downtown is pretty darn scary, with lots of empty and run down buildings. There are plenty of folks who appear down on their luck just loitering about all of the time, or the occasional man singing/dancing with a bottle of wine. I went for a walk at 8:00 a.m., and felt uncomfortable enough that I put my iPhone away and went back to my room. The folks I am working with, who work permanently at the office building and live in the surrounding areas confirmed my discomfort - no fewer than six separate people warned me not to venture out on foot more than 1-1/2 blocks in any direction. There is a police station just up the street, which might have made me more comfortable, had it not appeared so busy and necessary.

On the plus side, there are three good restaurants within 'the safety zone' (e.g., Allentown Brew Works, Sangria, Bay Leaf), though since no one hangs around downtown after dark, they often close pretty early. There is also a parking garage very convenient to the hotel ($6/night)

The hotel is showing its age a bit - peeling paint, worn carpets, etc. The room are acceptably comfortable, though the linens tend to appear wrinkled. They offer pillows of varying firmness, labeled with a little ribbon. The windows don't open, and the rooms can be a bit stale/stuffy. On a couple of occasions I was appalled to find a gross, moldy toilet bowl. I assumed it would be cleaned after the first night of my stay, but it was not. The staff is cheerful and tries to be helpful. I would just warn that do not assume this is the type of downtown business class hotel you would find in major cities. If you have a car, consider taking one of the more suburban locations 5 - 10 minutes out of downtown.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
123staff, Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We are sad to hear that you don't feel safe in this area, it is just like any other city. Hard for the hotel to do anything about the public surroundings. We hope you will continue to stay here at our hotel and we can make your accommodations better each time you stay.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was the first time I booked through Hot Wire and did not know the exact hotel when I hit "submit". My husband and son were going to the DCI East in Allentown. These are two good size men. The room had one bed and pull out. When my son pulled out the bed there was no sheet on the bed. He looked in the closet and there was none. He called down and the worker INSISTED he was wrong and the sheets were there. After back and forth they finally sent up someone with one sheet NO Blanket or pillow. When he asked if he could have one he was told there were no more pillows available and sent him up three sheets to use as a blanket since they had no more blankets either!?!? My son went to college in Allentown and we have stayed at many of the local hotels there but never had horrible service. I would not recommend this hotel. And as for using Hot Wire, I dont think I will take a chance again. PS Lounge closed around 12 on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: check TV right away. My husband said reception was "SLOW"
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
123staff, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

We apologize for the inconvenience with the back and fourth with the front desk staff, I do know that night were were limited to supplies due to a sold out night.