“Friendly staff, clean room, but property needs some work, but generally ok.”

Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The good: nice and clean, comfortable beds, average (paid) breakfast bar, and minutes from Parkettes Gymnastics. The bad: when we were there the pool and the restaurant were closed. I won a $60 per night bid on priceline but I should have paid less considering the state of the amenities. Also, the area where the hotel is located is industrial and basically in the middle of nowhere. The plus factor: a bar with pool table in lobby (if you care). And Winston's Jamaican restaurant is across the street. Winston's has excellent reviews online. We didn't have time to eat there but stopped in and checked it out. According to the Jamaican with our group-we missed a great cultural dining experience. We plan to stay at this hotel again (and verify that everything works before we get there) and eat at Winston's before we leave!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelsAlot123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear TravelsAlot123,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am happy that you found our beds to be comfortable. However, please accept my apologies that you were inconvenienced by the condition of the facilities during your visit. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Regards,

Pam G.

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on 4/12/13 - 4/14/13. The first night of stay was great. I had just spent 12 hours of airports and flying. Then drove 70 from Philly. I had to park in the parking garage across from hotel that patrons are allowed to stay at for $6 per day, which was pretty good.I was so tired that not even a train could have awaken me on my first night. The beds were very comfortable. Room very clean. Hotel is located on a one way street in the downtown area, so please have your GPS handy. After I was rested up and done running around the 1st day,I returned to the hotel around 6pm to enjoy my evening. All the time I was watching tv, i kept hearing noises unaware of what it was. I kept asking my daughter,what is that noise? At about 10pm i turned off the tv to retire for the night. It was then that I learned that the noise was traffic outside. I was on the 5th floor and could barely sleep. My daughter heard it the first night. Also if you want to stay here the hotel will charge $54 per night, PRICELINE charged me $70 . DONT BOOK THROUGH THEM. Overall, great price good stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Take note that the reviews on here are very mixed. There are several that are “terrible” and several that are “excellent” and then everything else in between. This hotel is average and I think the reviews are indicative of that.

The location of the hotel is in downtown Allentown. Allentown is a bit run down and though I certainly didn’t feel unsafe, it’s not a place where I’d want to spend the weekend. It’s a depressed area and not the most convenient if you’re looking for a place to stay that offers easy on/ off interstate access. We checked in late at around 11pm and the two people at the front desk were very friendly. The lobby is okay – nothing special. There was loud music coming from the bar and it didn’t look like a crowd I’d be comfortable hanging with, but we were exhausted and just headed up to the room.

The comments about the heating system are true. We stayed here in March and had the heat on and it was so uncomfortable. We just couldn’t get the temperature right in the room. It was one of the most uncomfortable night stays at a hotel that we’ve experienced in a long time and a big part of that was due to the lousy thermostat. The mattress was seriously lopsided. It clearly dipped on one side (and that was without anyone in the bed.) So, we woke up the next morning tired and disappointed because it was not the solid night’s sleep we were hoping for, and needed, in order to make the next leg of our 13 hour drive. The bathroom shower was dirty. There were stains on the wall, the carpet and dust ruffle under the mattress. Not cool. Parking is $6 and is in a garage across the street.

We purchased this room through an online bidding site which made the disappointing experience a bit more bearable. This bidding site classifies the hotel as a 3-1/2 star, but this is definitely not comparable to other 3-1/2 star hotels we’ve stayed in. It’s closer to a 2-1/2 or 3-star establishment. If you decide to stay here, try and get the room at a discount by bidding for it. Don’t pay more than $60/night.

The rooms need some deep cleaning and the location isn’t the greatest, but the front desk employees were very pleasant and checked us in right away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whereigo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear whereigo,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my husband on a business trip. The hotel is just on the outskirts of several very dilapidated urban neighborhoods. Although the lobby decor was on the newer, more comfortable side, such was not the case with the hotel accommodations. The bed was uncomfortable, the sheets scratchy, the towels old and the pillows were lumpy. As well, the television didn't work because the batteries were dead. I had to use my own. There is no room service, and the only food available during the day is breakfast, which is served until 10am. The front desk staff was lovely, but this hotel felt dirty, although it appeared clean. Must be due to the old furnishings and dismal atmosphere in the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RubyP_23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Ruby P,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the room condition. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel started out as a Hilton, then became a Crown Plaza and is not a Holiday Inn. The rooms are large but the ambiance is low. The total environment reflects a declining property. While it is clean, it is not modern in any way. Everyone in the hotel seems sad. The hotel will have real trouble (as the only current downtown hotel) when the new Marriott opens down the street by the new arena. Check-in process is very slow.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Robert W,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am sorry that our check in process was an inconvenience for you and you were unhappy with the ambiance of our property. Rest assured that your comments are documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate parties to consider for upgrades needed at our facility.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Pam G.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night and had a comfortable stay. The price was very right through an online bidding site and my room was large, clean and comfortable. The downtown Allentown area is a little shaky and the hotel itself is dated, but clean. Parking is behind the hotel and costs $6/night. Nothing around the hotel so I had dinner before and hunkered down for the evening. I would stay again, but would bid for it.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a higher floor because the rooms were better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kt3
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Just spent an overnight at the Holiday Inn Center City and had a very nice stay. All the staff were very friendly and the room was clean and roomy. We needed to have a late checkout and they were very accommodating. We had breakfast here and the meal was very tasty and filling. The location was extremely convenient for what we needed and the parking garage was right next door. I used the exercise room which had all the equipment that I needed. Will definitely return here again.

Room Tip: I would get an upper floor so that you get a good view of the city and are away from the street nois...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family