Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
$109
Travelocity
$150
Travelocity
All reviewslittle thingsvery pleasant stayhotel stayrooms were very cleanexercise roomcheckin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I travel well over 100 days a year for business and several weeks for vacation. I am not kidding when I tell you all that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in the Holiday Inn brands! THEY LIED TO MY FACE ABOUT THE ROOM PRICE! EVEN THE MANAGER DID THIS!!!!! Three of us from my company were told we would have a reduced rate due to the work we were doing with the utility company. To top it off I was not given a receipt upon leaving because their computer system is so bad it was still down from the night before! Their internet also so unbelievably slow (if it works at all), that I was continuously kicked off every night that I finally gave up each night. It didn't really matter because it was so slow that trying to do any kind of video news, shows or the like took FOREVER!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! I am a platinum member and I have stayed at so many hotels in this chain I can't count them. This place fails so bad in every way I could write a novel! Oh, did I mention the food smears on the wall of my room by the microwave? It could have been boogers which is what I thought at first, but I didn't get close enough to try to figure it out.
They ignored my request for a top floor so I didn't have people stomping on my ceiling and then put a family with some kids above me who stayed up to 11:48pm running around, yelling and I suppose jumping off of the beds.
After calling to make them send me a bill because they again lied and said they would send one right away, which they did not, they refused to email the bill to me! What is wrong with these people? I had to finally tell them to send my receipt snail mail which I just received. Guess what? Not only was I charged the full price I was told I would absolutely not be charged, there is a mystery $85.98 charge!!! So, I calm down, then I call to speak to a manager. I reach the front desk, tell them I was charged wrong and want to talk with the manager. The guy says okay, I'll get her. He then comes back in a couple minutes and tells me that she is gone. Really? I can make a pretty good guess that she just told him that so someone else will have to talk with me tomorrow. What a joke. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay at another hotel. Not updated, dirty and bad location for anything but right downtown. Not a good crowd that walks the streets after hours either.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear macnutwino,

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Reviewed July 12, 2012

When I booked on the phone the lady said that every room comes with a fridge and microwave but my room didn't have any. Since we forgot to buy milk for the kids earlier we didn't complain, but it just shows how inaccurate their information is. I showered my kids, then myself and by the time my husband got his turn the bath tub was more than half way full. I guess the drain was clogged, it took a while for it to drain away. We went to bed, beds were comfy and clean, the whole room for that matter was clean, bathroom had granite, looked renovated. But when we were about to fall asleep we heard a bunch of people yelling outside, and there was music too. We couldn't see anything from the window, we realized it was coming from the bar downstairs, and we were on 5th floor!! That noise of guys yelling and girls laughing along with some type of Jamaican music went on well past midnight. That made me not want to book this hotel ever again. The whole neighborhood looked pretty ghetto. Also another bad thing was some art they had in the hallway from the parking lot to the lobby. They're paintings for sale, paintings of scary faces, zombie-like creatures, all kinds of obscene "art". My four year old daughter got scared I had to put my hand over her eyes and lead her to the door. Finally there was another painting that pissed me off. It was a naked girl with a censored strip over her breasts, but on the strip it said " actual boobs underneath, by boobs I mean boobies". I mean come on, they should've said families not welcome, only single wierdos and I would have never booked it. Not far from dorney park, about a 5 min ride, which at this point doesn't even matter. There were lots of hotels right across the street from dorney park. Next time I'd rather book one of those and walk, save $15 on parking.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank SlavicaI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear SlavicaI,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was back in town for a friend's wedding being held at the Allentown Brew Works. This hotel has a nice location, near the Brew Works (fabulous!) and other nice restaurants, symphony hall, art museum, etc. Don't let anyone tell you that this is a dangerous part of town, most of Allentown is perfectly safe if you use good travel sense (don't walk down unlit side streets late at night, etc.)

Covered parking is only $7 per night, which is a bargain for garage parking in an urban area. Lobby was extremely dated, as if it hadn't been touched since the 1970s, and smelled strongly of chlorine from the pool. I requested an early check-in, was told they would see what they could do, and ultimately could not be accommodated, but I understand, since the hotel seemed pretty full. The elevators were very slow. These are my only real (minor) complaints about the stay.

The room itself was quite nice, with modern features like an LCD TV. Bathroom was clean and spacious. Cleanliness was average for a chain hotel. I had a good night's sleep and all the staff that I encountered were pleasant and courteous throughout my experience. My large group had a sit down breakfast in the restaurant, and we were all satisfied with the good food and service there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndrwTC
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have to say I was scared after reading all the negative reviews. The hotel was really great! I booked through TRAVEL NOW/EXPEDIA which was the wrong thing to do. Book directly with the hotel. Expedia gave me all the incorrect information about the hotel. I was booked in a king room with a sofa bed, the room was very nice and the redecorating and upgraded amenities were good and the bed had a pillowtop mattress. However, I wanted the junior suite and was told it was smaller than the king room "thats why they call it a junior suite" they said!!! They also told me there was a complimentary breakfast that is not the case. They did have a $5.00 breakfast with eggs, sausage, home fries, toast and coffee. They also told me my room would have a refrigerator and microwave that was also not the case. The refrigerator and microwave are $10.00 each per day. The hotel staff was wonderful and tried to make up for the mistakes Expedia made. They bent over backwards to make sure our stay was good. The bar was great for a little unwinding after being on the road for 12 hours. We ordered a pizza from Delicioso and it was really good, it's a block away from the hotel and they deliver. There was a game room on the lower level for my teenage son and he had fun. The parking is "no big deal" the garage is right next to the hotel and is secure 24 hrs. a day and the cost is $6.00. Some of the reviews said they had to walk down a creepy alleyway that was not the case either. There was live entertainment across the street from the hotel and everyone sat on the lawn and enjoyed it. They also had a fire throwing show and that was awesome!! When you arrive at the hotel it's on the corner of Hamilton and 9th street take a right on 9th and the unloading and check in driveway is there. Don't pay for the meters out front. I would book at this hotel again it exceeded my expectations. The pool was smaller than the pictures on the website but it was very nice. They also have a Brazilian restaurant onsite but we did not eat there. The price I paid was on a 24 hr. sale and it was a great price for a king room with a pull out sofa. ($96.88). Close to Dorney Park.

Room Tip: Higher Floor quietier and ask to be away from the elevators
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank horsecountry250
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Located downtown Allentown. Place is old and disguising. Service was horrible. Ask for a rollaway bed and it took 3 hours to get the crib. Pillows had nasty stains.

• Stayed: July 2011
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear kaopsu13,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn during your travel and leaving us a review. I would like to apologize that our services fell below your expectations. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our guests enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Zelyn N