“Better than expected”

Ranked #21 of 461 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Taste of Italy Bar & Grill is family owned with a high selection of traditional Italian favorites. The atmosphere is family-friendly, yet suitable for a business setting. We can also accommodate small parties and events. We offer a full variety of seafood, veal, chicken & pasta. Every entree is prepared fresh to order. We also feature a full wine and beer selection as well as spirits.
Slatington, Pennsylvania
“Better than expected”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This eatery doesn't look like much from the outside, as it's stuck in a strip mall beside a Bottom Dollar grocery store. It's more cozy indoors, and was doing a steady business during the dinner rush on a Saturday night. Tasty baguette with olive oil/dried herb mix served after drinks arrived. Server was pleasant and checked in often enough. We really enjoyed the appetizer we ordered to share (a bruchette/caponata baguette, $9). Salads were good-sized and included iceberg and same baby greens with cucumber and tomato slices; balsamic house dressing on the side as we prefer. Ordered the Dean Martin Chicken (rich, slightly sweet sauce with real lump crabmeat...NO pasta or potatoes, ~$24, really delicious but smallish portion), tilapia and shrimp over anger hair (lemon caper sauce, slivers of red sweet pepper, ~$20, very tasty belly-filler), and chicken florentine over angel hair (scant spinach, plenty of basil, chicken bland; $16, a bit disappointing but lots of food).
Total bill with 2 (real!) iced teas/no alcohol came to $75 before tip.
We will be back; but we'll skip the chicken florentine. Most of the meal was excellent!

I know it's not the server's fault, but the grade-schooler behind us was playing an electronic game loudly...it's a shame folks aren't more considerate of those around them.

• Visited November 2012

Rochester
“Delicioso!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Good food, friendly service, reasonable pricing, comfortable atmosphere. Fresh salad, warm bread, reasonably priced wine, delicious garden vegetables - over angel hair pasta. Will definitely return!

• Visited November 2012
Staten Island, New York
“Expected it to be the best”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The local newsletter gave them a rating of the best pizzeria restaurant but it was a merely opposite. Coming from an Italian family, my expectation was dropped to low when I tasted their appetizer, and it was awful. When I ordered a pasta, the sauce was watery, and I was very upset with my order. This is not something that you should see on your italian plate and this is not the place to be if you wanted to go out to have a hearty pasta dinner.

Visited May 2012
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good stromboli & pizza, poor etiquette & hygiene”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I've been to this restaurant a number of times over the last few years and have always had a good experience with their basic Italian food (pizza, stromboli, subs). I few times I've had pasta dishes that were also good, but are huge portions, and overpriced. I would rather have a more reasonable portion for a reasonable price.

Today my husband and I ordered a stromboli which came out in about 15 minutes. While we were waiting someone started vacuuming another part of the restaurant, which ruined the ambiance. We ignored it. Within 5 minutes of getting our food someone parked a dirty looking vacuum across from us and plugged it in behind us. We both felt this was a very crude and tasteless thing to do around customers in a restaurant. But we ignored it and went on with our conversation. We received our food and started to enjoy it but within about five minutes or so someone turned the room lights up. As we were wondering what was going on they turned them up on high. It dawned on us at this point that they wanted us out of the restaurant. I went up to the pizza counter and asked if they were closing and was told yes. It was 9 pm and they were closing. I would much rather have had the waitress simply tell us in person than have to experience all those rude things.

We were only 1/2 way done with our meal and basically made to feel like we were unwelcome and in the way. Wow. Talk about disrespect and ignorance in restaurant etiquette. Unfortunately we didn't realize they were closing at 9 pm or we would never have ordered a meal there. However, if you are open until 9 pm and someone comes in before nine (we came about 8:35 pm) the staff should expect to have patrons still in the restaurant awhile after 9 pm.

I immediately asked for our bill and box for our food so those "poor" folks could go home. God forbid they should allow people to finish their meals in peace. I told the waitress that I wish I would have known they were closing so soon or we wouldn't have ordered. She said, "Oh, no rush." Right. The staff basically made the atmosphere so unwelcoming that it was quite evident they wanted us to leave.

Taste of Italy has good food but their manners and business etiquette is horrible. Someone needs to train staff about respecting and honoring customers. I know those values are sadly becoming rare in this country, but I think we shouldn't just put up with it, but expect and encourage others to practice these good manners. If anyone from Europe would come to a restaurant here and be treated like this they would be in shock.

This restaurant's prices are in line with a higher-end eating establishment, so I as a customer expect them to start acting the part.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank summersun31
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Best local Italian food in the LV!”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Taste of Italy has been our go-to place for local Italian since it opened a decade ago. The experience is great whether you're in the mood for a fabulous cheesesteak or a shrimp scampi entree. Plus, they make a great raspberry martini, even though they swear that they don't know how to mix it.

Visited July 2012