“Great authentic barbecue, fun atmosphere”

Grumpy's Bar-B-Que Roadhouse
Ranked #34 of 481 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 4, 2012

First off, the wings here are AMAZING. As much as I love traditional, deep-fried buffalo wings, Grumpy's wings are smoked, and they are falling-off-the-bone tender. I always start off with a plate of these. It's just a no brainer.

Their barbecue is authentic and slow-smoked, and you can't go wrong. It isn't mixed with barbecue sauce, but you can add your own (they have their own house recipe barbecue sauce on the table in two different heat levels). I usually just put hot sauce on mine instead of barbecue sauce.

The ribs are another standout. Again, they're smoked, and they're very tender. The dry rub that they use has good flavor without overpowering the porky goodness of the ribs. You can add barbecue sauce if you want, but I think it drowns out the flavor of the ribs.

The atmosphere is fun and a little loud, but not in an annoying or contrived way like you'd find at a chain restaurant. The people here are genuinely enjoying themselves.

They have a great selection of draught beer.

I can't speak to the desserts--I never have any room for them.

I go here about every month or two, whenever I need a smoky barbecued meat fix.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

I was skeptical to try this place after reading mixed reviews. Two of us ordered a full rack of ribs and basket of fries and we had enough ribs left over for one lunch the next day. They were huge and meaty! We also got the jambalaya soup which was tasty. It is not a quiet place- they have a huge bar area with live music some nights. We sat at a long table while another couple sat at the other end. Over all, the food was great, atmosphere was good if youre not expecting a quiet romantic dinner. Service was friendly- they were very busy but still attended to us nicely.

1  Thank triplescoop
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Best ribs and wings in the area. I've had most of the stuff on their menu and almost all of it is pretty good. I would say the ribs and wings are their specialty. The chicken dinner is my favorite though. Their soups are consistently good. You won't regret a cup of gumbo.

2  Thank Sean P
Reviewed January 3, 2012

BBQ is good, live music on the weekends. Can be very crowded and service is hit and miss.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Their jambalaya tastes more like Spanish rice! Their so called "southern" food tastes to northern. The decor of the place is the only thing it's got going for itself.

3  Thank Pogo5816