“Surprise Bill”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I used to visit here often – for both business and dates. I like the food and the atmosphere upstairs. During my most recent experiences I’ve found the service to be much slower, so plan extra time, or skip entirely.
What prompted this review was the surprise on the bill for the bartender’s decision to use top shelf liquor for our drinks – pushing the price of a martini to $12. Previously, the waiter asked if we had a preference on brand. Remember, we go here often and know what the drinks cost. This was a small increase in our total bill of about 10%, but I still felt ripped off. I protested to our server, and a friend suggested that I take it off of her tip when it was not removed from the bill. I didn’t reducer her tip, but probably should have so it doesn’t happen again. This $8 premium will cost Checkers our future business (and hundreds of dollars) for such a small attempt to increase that one bill.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Wouldn't suggest it. Fine to grab a beer, but the food was so-so and service far from outstanding.It's an easy walk from the HGI but worth driving down the street to go somewhere else.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We came to this area on our way up north to work hurricane Sandy. Many places are w/o power. This one just re-opened today and the staff is bending over backwards running around to please their customers. They lost a lot of food, but are gracious and know how to treat their customers. Good food!!!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Recently moved to the area and have been very intrigued to try this restaurant. It is beautiful inside, very unique and warming. We ordered the potsticker ap.. they were out of them. We ordered the french dip... they were out of the meat for it. 0 for 2. We ended up getting pretty lacksadasical and dry subs (meatball and chicken parm). I will say the waffle fries were pretty good. The waitstaff was excellent as well, very nice and accomodating (other than not refilling our waters at all). I really wish the food was better because the atmosphere was excellent but the food not so much.

1  Thank speechie87
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The family and I go here for dinner when we can't decide where else to go, which is fairly often. They have a pretty complete menu from burgers to steaks, and the food is actually pretty good. Service is good to very good. The decor and restaurant theme never fails to amuse and confuse me. The second floor looks very bright and modern with lots of big windows. But it seems like it's decorated with every available item from Toscano's gothic catalog... just a curious mix. The first floor has a totally different vibe, which we find noisy and uninspired.