“Henty's Salt of the Sea is Delicious”

Henry's Salt of the Sea
Ranked #2 of 459 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Allentown
“Henty's Salt of the Sea is Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We love love love Henry's. Where else can you go for a Lobster Francese? Salad bar is terrific.
You had better wear your loose pants. I am not kidding. The restaurant itself is very small so you need to have a reservation. They do not open until 4:30pm. The service and food are both excellent.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Susan P

• Hebrew first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Almost perfect, save for the waiting staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Hands down the best seafood in Allentown, and possibly the Lehigh Valley. Its also one of the few places locally that I can order my favorite dish: escargot. exactly the way I like it: in garlic butter. And its not just the seafood either. I've ordered numerous entrees, ranging from steak to chicken, and it was all top-notch. Heck even their mozzarella sticks are handmade and are delicious. Did I mentioned everything is cooked a few feet away from you in the open kitchen?

And speaking of the mozzarella sticks, which are about $6 for 4 of them, it can be derived from this that Henry's is a high-priced restaurant, but with a low-key atmosphere. So its a definite go if you and/or your guest simply enjoy top-notch restaurant entrees, and don't want to deal with the pretentiousness of an fancy restaurant.

My only issue with the place? The waiting staff can be extremely grumpy and judgmental, particularly of younger generations. Their demographic is generally 50+, and I'm 21, and every time I've been there, when I'm first approached by the waiting staff they come off as extremely grumpy, like they're upset that they have to wait on a young kid whose going to order all the cheap stuff and give them a tip that's not worth their time, and they would only check up on us when we're deciding what to order half as often as they would for the other tables. Don't believe me? The moment I order an expensive appetizer, a bottle of wine, and one of their upper-priced entrees, the expression on their faces, their mood, and their attention to my table changes so dramatically its quite obvious they were quick to judge me and my expenditure by my young appearance alone. The Maître de, who you call to make reservations, also sounds very grumpy when you make reservations during prime hours, and doesn't thank you for your reservation either.

All in all, as long as you're not bothered by the occasional grumpy/rude waiter/waitress, I can't recommend this place enough, mainly for date-nights or for special occasions among a few people, because of the high prices. The food. Its fresh, cooked a few feet away from you, and perfect no matter what you order. What more can you ask for?

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Benjamin H
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Amazing dinner...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I went with two friends and we all loved our meals...and the salads. Pasta with seafood dishes...yummy. Will go back again soon. Great good, clean restaurant, good prices and friendly staff.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank SGTAS
“No franchise here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Masterfully prepared meals that are always consistent. Eating at the bar is special because of the great service and watching the attached kitchen prepare the meals. You can't beat the early bird specials. Been here many times and will return.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Steve L
Allentown, PA
“Good local restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Reservations are a must. The food and service are good, sometimes very good. The restaurant has been around for at least 30 years, and is very popular.

• Visited May 2013