“Chesapeake Bay Seafood in Allentown, Pa. Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Youell's Oyster House

Youell's Oyster House
Ranked #11 of 459 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Youell's Oyster House, one of the oldest continuously operating restaurants in America, was destroyed by fire January 22, 2013.Visit our beautiful new restaurant. Now open Sundays. Fresh Seafood and Steaks, Raw Bar, Varietal Oysters, Seafood Towers, Gastropub Fare. Full compliment of Craft Brews on draft. Generous wine, scotch, cognac and cocktail selection for the most discriminating imbiber Upscale, casual atmosphere for any and all occasions, including business and family gatherings, as well as private parties on our mezzanine level.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Chesapeake Bay Seafood in Allentown, Pa. Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Upscale, quiet atmosphere of fine dining. A definate special occasion restaurant for the seafood lover. This is not your Red Lobster, the food actually looks like they advertise but don't deliver. Deliver they do at this long time Lehigh Valley decades old family run establishment. A little tricky to find but can be done, very close to Hamilton and 24th about two blocks and in one street. A full menu but except for the finnicky seafood is the way to go.
Softshell crabs most of the time, cooked as you like them. My mouth waters when I think of the place but, bring your wallet and/or credit card.

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 792michaelm

pa
“What's so Great ?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I went here this past Sat. with another couple. My friend had the calamari for an appetizer. They were loaded with batter and grease , I had a piece and only found a tiny piece of calamari in large chunk of batter. Heart attack waiting to happen! I had the clams on a half shell they were good. For dinner I ordered the special crab cake no fillers. What I got was no crab cake at all .I asked the waitress if I got the correct dsih she said that it was. It was a small casserole dish with crab meat laying in it , no cake, no butter ,no seasoning , no flavor! The other members in our group had the broiled seafood platter, the steak with crab platter which they liked. I guess I ordered the wrong dish. I wouldn't recommend the crab cakes.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Great Pub Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2011

Ate at Youell's last year; we stopped here again this month and were not disappointed. Eating in the bar area is just such a warm and friendly experience. And, oh yes, the seafood is excellent!! Worth a trip to Allentown.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank JerrySaywell
Allentown, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Only Seafood Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Aside from travelling to the ocean, Youell's is the only true Seafood restaurant around. In fact I prefer Youell's over many of the shore restaurants I've visited. The crabcakes for example: All jumbo lump crabmeat - no filler - no Old Bay Seasoning.
Friendly, casual, neighborhood restaurant that's been around since the early 1900's. We love having an order of raw oysters or clams at the bar before dinner (not to mention a cocktail). Great selection of seafood. Check out the menu online. A great value and a great experience. We'll be sure to return again.

1 Thank A-DINER97
Macungie, Pennsylvania
“Superb Crabcakes... where's our waitress?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

This restaurant is a Lehigh Valley institution, and its reputation is built upon the wonderful seafood served there. We visited on a week-night and getting served seemed to be a major challenge. We were seated right away; then ignored. After 20 minutes of no one even coming near us, I went to the bar, interrupted the hostess and the bartender (neither seemed to care why I was standing there) and ordered 2 beers. After I brought these back to my table, I went over and asked a waitress for some waters. When she brought them over, we finally got to order; 30 minutes after arriving - on a slow night !

If the crabcakes weren't THAT good, we never would have put up with this nonsense... but they are (sigh).

• 3 of 5 bubbles