All reviews bed was super comfy columbus day weekend ihg member front desk juice machine double queen dorney park business center room was clean stay there again next morning top floor a great stay water pressure nice breakfast bagels breakfast was included
Reviewed November 25, 2017

We have been staying at this property since it was new and branded as a Best Western. It has been declining just a little bit each time and after this trip, we probably won't be back. The young man behind the counter was friendly and efficient, but overly friendly with "my dear" and "dearest," which is a turnoff for me. The room was mostly clean except behind and underneath furniture, and there was black mold on the tiles in the shower. Water pressure was good, as was the availability of hot water. The beds were way too hard and uncomfortable, and our room facing Tilghman Street was distractingly noisy. Be sure to request one on the other side of the building. The HVAC is old, noisy, and blew a lot of cold air onto the nearby bed. We left our room later than usual one morning and when we got back that evening, it had not been cleaned, despite meeting their requirement that the room be available by 11 or 11:30am. Not sure why, since we saw active housekeeping carts when we arrived at 4:30pm on Wednesday. The front desk gave us some towels and apologized, but didn't seem too concerned about it. The free breakfast was just okay, with some foods more palatable than others. I was advised at check-in that the fitness center had some broken machines and I could go to Planet Fitness if I wanted to work out. Why not fix them than send your guests somewhere else? There are too many indications that maintenance and improvements are not priorities these days. On the positive side, wifi was good and the mini-fridge was decent. Did not use the pool or television. Sadly, we will seek accommodations elsewhere when we come to Allentown to visit family. Given the room rate compared to lower-priced alternatives, the value doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the residential street. Those facing Tilghman Street are very noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank dmguardino
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allentown West, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2017

Hello dmguardino,

Thank you for choosing our location again and for sharing your experience. It is unfortunate that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay with us due to the condition of the room, the bed and air condition unit. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the level of service you received and the food selection may have caused you. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. We are confident that necessary steps will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to a business conference I was attending. Comfortable room, but my key didn’t work when I got to my room at first. Fortunately an employee was on that floor to let me in so I didn’t have to take all my luggage back down to the lobby. Breakfast was good, and the employees were friendly.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

Stayed recently while on a business trip. Looked really nice. No big complaints except for cable tv. It went out every 3 or 4 minutes for a few hours. Very frustrating. Room overall nice, breakfast ok, water available was a nice touch. Desk help very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allentown West, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2017

Hello joewS3789KM,

Thank you for your recent stay and for writing us a review. I am pleased you have regarded our room and breakfast to be nice and found our front desk staff to be friendly and helpful. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. However, I am disappointed to see that the issues with the cable TV fell below your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you the improvements made.

Dianne L

Reviewed October 9, 2017

My wife and I have friends that live near Allentown and a couple of times a year we go visit. We stayed at this hotel. It was not the first time though it will be the last.

First the pleasantries. The room was clean and ready. The housekeeping staff very pleasant.

And now...

My wife arrived at 5:45. It took us 30 minutes to get registered. The gentleman behind the counter was at best inefficient. He was also incompetent. There was one person on line in front of us. A ling that grew before this person was finished. The line stretched to the door before they finished. While serving this person, the gentleman excused himself having to "go upstairs." Can you see why the line grew? Well, it seems there was some trouble with the keycards not working. More on that in a bit. When he returned to a long line of trying to be pleasant people who just want to get to their room and clean up an woman walked up to the desk and he waited on her - completely oblivious to the long line of getting irritated. This should not have been permitted. But as I said the gentleman was not very good.

We booked the reservation under on credit card which was later cancelled. We tried to switch it to a new card at the desk. The gentleman stared at the desktop as if it were getting free movies. After a few minutes of waiting for him, I piped up and asked if we could just get to the room, "Now."

Well, after 30 minutes, I exaggerate not!, we got to the room. Both keys didn't work. We were the first people this happened to, but after the third, yes, I said third try, we managed to get a working card, in the room and freshened up. It was 6:32; forty-seven minutes later.

I went down for the fourth try on the cards and found the couple behind me were still at the desk.

My room was clean and comfortable. It was relatively peaceful; there were families from two groups one hockey tournament and one a soccer tournament. Kids were running all over and parents had that glazed over eyes that read, "I am too tired to stop them anymore."
Even with this, the noise was minimal at most.

On bad experience should not break a place, but this was so unbelievably bad, that I will not give them another chance.

PS. There must have been a problem with the lock system because we had to exchange keys on Sunday and Monday when we checked out, the key wasn't working. And people who checked in on Sunday had the same problem and I would not be surprised it it was happening on Monday.

Room Tip: If Bob is behind the desk, go get a drink.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank T. M
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allentown West, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2017

Dear T. M,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am glad you liked the cleanliness of the room you received. I would like to apologize for the experience you had during check-in and the response you received from our staff. I am also sorry for the inconvenience you had with your key cards which affected your stay. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

Anthony M

Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

When we make any sort of reservation we carefully read the reviews in advance. I did not do that for this hotel because we had just stayed here about 6 mo hrs ago and had a very pleasant experience. Clearly, something has gone horribly wrong since our last stay.

Upon arrival we attempted to check-in to our room at 5:45 pm. This was well after the 3 pm check in time. We were met with several other families all waiting to check in. There was one desk clerk, an elderly man named Bob, who was trying to check all of the guests in by himself. This was Columbus Day weekend with a fully booked hotel including 2 youth sporting events staying at the location. Bob was polite but clearly unprepared for the job. He did not know how to make room keys as ours needed to be made 3 separate times before we got 1 working key out of the pair. We watched at least 4 other people come down to exchange non-working keys while we were attempting to check in. Bob also did not know how to change a credit card over from the one you reserved the room with to another card. Nor did he know how to enter IHG rewards information. Dakota was able to do this for us the next morning without any issues.

From what we were told by both guests and staff, much of the housekeeping staff quit the day we arrived. The question is “Why?” The housekeeping staff was busting their butts trying to get rooms turned over and cleaned as fast as possible.

Our room was comfortable and clean with the exception of mold on the tile in the bathroom. Clearly, there is not enough staff to run this hotel. I’m sure housekeeping isn’t spending the time in each room that they should because they don’t have the time. It was reported to us that each housekeeper was cleaning 30 rooms each on Saturday. Some guests were waiting over 3 hours to get in to their rooms!

On Sunday, we quickly stopped back at the hotel between breakfast and our activities of the day. We weren’t there for 15 minutes. My husband walked in, observed a man filling out a job application. By the time he came back to the car the man had on a Holiday Inn shirt and was sweeping the front lobby. While I’m glad they hired more help, there’s no way references could be checked this quickly. Was this new employee given access to guest rooms? This is pretty concerning.

We really like the property and had a good experience in the past. However, we’ve been left with a very negative impression of this property and will chose another hotel in the Allentown area next time.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MM8803

Dear MM8803,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We would like to apologize for the level of service you received from our staff and for not living up to your expectations regarding our room cleanliness. Reviews like yours are very valuable as they enable us to target areas we need to improve on. Rest assured your feedback will be forwarded to all concerned departments to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Joel A