“Comfortable stay”

Staybridge Suites Allentown West
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This was the first time I tried this hotel and a Staybridge having always used the Holiday Inn across the road before. Definitely a big step up from the Holiday Inn. Rooms are clean, bright and well equipped with a kitchenette area. Staff were friendly and professional. Breakfast is included and is basic but adequate. Each weekday evening they have a mini free buffet - food was not much to write home about but free beer (and soft drinks) on tap! Next door is a Bostons which give 10% discount upon presentation of room key.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark S
There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Allentown West

Reviewed August 17, 2011

Having not stayed in a "suite" before, I was very pleased with the layout and features in the suites here. I don't have a basis for comparision when it comes to suites though.

Everything was clean, organized, and well stocked for sleeping and eating in the room. The layout was nice, especially having separation between the sleeper couch and the bedroom (I was staying with friends, and it was nice for all of us to get a good sleep). The 'living' area was great for some games and conversation with friends, but it was tight by the TV when the sleeper was pulled out.

Breakfast was fine. Waffles, cereals, fruits, and more. The lobby and exterior area were pleasant to be in as well, although I didn't more than glance outside because of the weather.

I was happy with it for the price. I'd definitely consider it again, depending on what I needed during a particular trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank hope42morrow
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Based on reviews for this hotel, I was expecting something a little nicer than the average Holiday Inn with the added bonus of a kitchenette in every room. And at first glance , that's exactly what it seemed like. Larger than average rooms with a sofa, desk, and very decent kitchenette with everything you need to cook (except for a nonstick pan). Plus there is a dishwasher and a toaster which is a nice bonus. Although the rooms are nice and more spacious than usual, this hotel has some major issues, most of which can be attributed to extremely poor management. My first indication that things were not right was in the fitness room. Almost none of the machines work, and the only one that did made a loud clunking noise when you used it. So the fitness room is basically unusable. To me, if you advertise a fitness room for your hotel, it should be in working order or at least in somewhat decent condition that can be used. This was not the case at all and was a big disappointment. Next was the hotel staff. They were very young and inexperienced and clearly did not like their jobs. It was as if they were operating in a state of fear, completely oblivious to what was going on around them yet terrified of making any procedural mistakes. Even more disconcerting, was the performance of the housekeeping staff. One day they did not clean my room at all, and another day they had left my door wide open all day long until I came home after eight o'clock at night. Let me tell you, that was shocking. I don't think that has ever happened to me before. Luckily none of my stuff got stolen.Lastly, the free breakfast is a good example of the old saying "you get what you pay for". Granted, it's free, but I would not feed this food to my dog, let alone eat it myself. The only redeeming aspect of the breakfast is the fruit (bananas and apples). Everything else looks and tastes like it was cut out of a cardboard box. So don't plan on this being one of your "free" meals. All in all, it's really not such a bad hotel if you only consider the room itself, however due to the poor management and the general culture of apathy and neglect, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone staying more than one or two days. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank DM30
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel is awesome! We stayed here in a 1 br suite with our two baby daughters on the way to visit family. The room itself is very comfortable, with a great bed and a very convenient kitchenette. The kitchenette was HUGE for us as we were making bottles and snacks for two babies. The folks at the front desk were awesome.

The living area was fairly comfortable, the couch was a little hard and quite close to the tv but it was workable. There was also a desk and desk chair. We had an exersaucer with us and it fit nicely by the window and was out of our way.

The bedroom was nice and the bed was super comfortable. The linens were decent. The bathroom, located in the bedroom, was great. The vanity and sink are separate from the shower. The shower felt a little like a hospital (everything white on white) but the very nicely appointed sink/vanity area made up for it. We had a pack and play and a bassinet with us and we all fit nicely.

The breakfast was awesome and they even offer free dinners on off-days (like some weekdays)! You can use the grill outside if you want, which is cool but I don't see us doing that. You can also use the "library" with comfy seating and books and board games. Good if you have older kids. There is also a mini-store, which I admit I used at about 10 at night when I wanted some Ben & Jerry's. We didn't use the pool but it looked adequate. There is also a decent gym attached to a laundry room, the latter of which we did use. The laundry machines were free but you need to buy little soap packets (or bring your own). They even supply a laundry basket in your room's closet. I loved doing laundry at the hotel so I wasn't faced with it all when we got home the next day.

This hotel is convenient to the highway. There are a couple restaurants around there, too. Bring beer if you want some because PA has weird alcohol rules and you can't just skip over to the 7-11 and get it. Just FYI.

The only down side is getting a room right next to the kitchen. It was very loud in there and we heard it right through the wall. One stay we weren't near it, but the 2nd time we were. It wasn't horrible, but it was pretty distracting with all the pots and pans clanging.

Anyway I highly recommend this hotel, they make you feel at home... but even better because someone else makes you breakfast!

Room Tip: ask to be far from the kitchen
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank shamity
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here in June of 2011. Have reservations here for the end of August and the end of October. My daughter is in college in Allentown and this hotel fit us perfectly. Clean rooms, decent beds and bedding, very friendly staff nice breakfast buffet. Obviously I liked it, I have plans to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike A
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were on vacation to Dorney Park and we wanted a hotel close by that would let us bbq outside. Staybridge was very accommodating and we had no problems bbq-ing. There were 5 of us staying in a 2 bedroom suite. I would have given the hotel 5 starts but the room we stayed in did not have a pull-out couch despite being told on the phone that it would. Luckily our 5th person was small and was ok on the couch for one night. They did also give us a small discount to make up for this inconvenience.
Breakfast was good and plentiful and the pool and hot tub were very nice as well.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ywilbur
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights simply due to trip advisor rating, and we were glad we did. Very conveniant to Dorney Park (less than 10 minutes). The food was so good, We ate at Boston's both nights, which is right in front of the hotel. They offer a 10 % discount (including alcohol!) There's a mini golf right on the other side of the highway. Which was fun with the kids. The hotel itself was clean and spacious. We had a one bedroom, with 2 Double Beds. Very comfortable. The breakfast was good, Basically bagels and muffins and make your one waffles. We paid $146 including tax. Walls were a little thin, but nothing that would cause you to lose sleep over. We plan on staying here again next year.

Room Tip: Buy Discounted tickets at ront desk to Dorney
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family