“More than I expected...”

Merchants Square Model Train Exhibit
Ranked #11 of 32 things to do in Allentown
More attraction details
Owner description: The Merchants Square Model Train Exhibit has over 40 model trains rolling down 18,000 feet of track; more than 1,000 miniature structures, some handmade from scratch; 30,000 lights illuminating the stars, sky, moon, and buildings; and a real thunderstorm!
Reviewed September 3, 2018

Visited here several months ago with family and was not disappointed. I believe the cost was $8.00 each, not sure about the children. The exhibition show lasts less than an hour but I really enjoyed it. I believe it is worth seeing at least once...

Date of experience: December 2017
"antiques"
in 4 reviews
"structure"

Reviewed August 19, 2018

We have been to quite a few model train exhibits and I think this is the best one we have ever seen! They call it the 8th wonder of the world and while certainly an exaggeration this exhibit has everything. It is not just model trains; there are working amusement park rides, cars and trucks that go whizzing by, a working ski slope and on and on. You just need to slow down and carefully look at each section; there is so much to see. I even noticed that there was a Ford showroom and inside the car on display was turning on a turntable as this did it in the old day. They now have little ladders so children can get up higher. It is a 30 minute show because they turn on the lights to all the buildings (and there are many), have a couple of thunderstorms with rain and run the numerous trains. If you want to come back for another show, there will be one in a hour (at least when we went). I would suggest going to this other place on the 1st floor of the mall at the other end to get a bite to eat. It was called Kremmer's. It doesn't looks like much of a place and I was skeptical but I had a great lunch for $8.42. It was a chicken breast sandwich with fresh shredded lettuce, onion and nice roll, a huge quantity of steak fries and a can of Diet Coke. The chicken was a very thick piece of meat perfectly cooked. It was enough for my husband and I. Nice surprise. The rest of the mall has interesting places to buy antiques or a piece of nostalgia; fun to look around and you might find that perfect present for someone. All in all a very nice visit but I would check the website for operating hours because it is not open every day.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank irishdi
Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

I was so impressed with the display. I've never seen such attention to detail in a train display. And it was extremely well maintained. Nothing looked old or worn. The designers take great pride in the display. My 11 year old loved it. I will definitely be returning and bringing more family and friends along.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank rosa6988
Reviewed May 13, 2018

A bit out of the way but worth the trip. If you're visiting the Mack truck museum this is about 4 blocks away and worth the detour.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank localyocal823
See more reviews
Reviewed February 15, 2018

We were looking for something to do and saw an ad for this place. Glad we did as it was a wonderful experience. Don't have to be a train nut, but there is a kid in all of us. This is on a second floor (elevator available) this large building of antique and collector's stores. So there are many other things to do here. There is a small place to eat. They take cash only, it only runs for 30 min and a 30 min wait between shows. Everything here is working, unlike the place in Flemington, NJ. Bring your cameras as there are hundreds of detailed structures. There are small stools for the little ones to see over the glass. This place is rather large, you go between the center and wall display. Everything is working, the lights dim (camera phones beware if they are not low light) and you get thunder and rain too ! It runs year round but not every day. It is closed over the summer.. just a warning. There are no tours and no audio to go along with the show. There are tons of moving rides, cars as the trains go by. Staffed by volunteers and no reservations so not sure what happens if someone calls in sick or there is a huge crowd.

Date of experience: February 2018