“Reserved three nights, only stayed for one...”

Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Chicago, Illinois
“Reserved three nights, only stayed for one...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Typically you would think that the Hilton Garden Inn would be a staple of consistency... Unfortunately, this hotel doesn't fall into that category.

Instead of staying at my normal hotel in the Allentown-Bethlehem area, Homewood Suites, I thought I'd try this place and expand my options of places to stay...

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay more than one night... Why?

For one thing there is a distribution center right behind the hotel -- which means noise and lots of it.... From semi's pulling in or leaving to the forklifts going back and forth with the beeping occurring every time it went backwards.

I had reserved this room in advance and as a Hilton Diamond member, I would have thought that the staff read my request to stay away from elevators, ice machines and away from any other noise... apparently that didn't happen.

I barely slept that one night and in the morning I packed my bags and checked out. The front desk manager was apologetic and explained that they have many repeat customers who stay there, but I will not be one of them going forward... Although I got a complementary night for my troubles, it was a hard lesson learned.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, request a room that is not facing the distribution center located behind...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
We are deeply apologetic that you had an unpleasant stay with us not to long ago.
We take pride in ensuring our guests have everything they need for a clean, comfortable stay at the HIlton Garden Inn Allentown Bethlehem Airport.

We do work closely with the trucking company located behind us and notify them when our guests experience overwhelming amounts of noise - we will definitely address your issues with them and hopefully, we can have their understanding for future guests.

Again, our sincerest apologies for an unsatisfactory stay at our property - We understand you are not interested in returning; however, I ask that you give us another shot and we will ensure your room is on the front side of the hotel, away from additional noise (elevator, ice machine, etc)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
La Palma, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I chose this property because I had a 6 AM flight out of Allentown Airport and it is one of the closest hotels to the terminal. From that aspect, this is a very good choice. They have a complimentary airport shuttle that runs on demand. For my 6 AM flight I asked for a 4:45 shuttle pickup. I was in the terminal by 4:50 and through security by 4:55. I only wish I could get away with that at LAX or other large airports!

The property itself is your typical Hilton Garden Inn. When I walked in, the first thing I saw was a bunch of tarps as they were busy renovating the lobby. It was quite noisy at the time, but that's just a temporary inconvenience and the front desk was very apologetic about the noise. I also thought the rooms could use some renovation. Mine looked a little on the tired side - nothing that was particularly off-putting other than it just seemed a little old. Still, it was a perfectly comfortable room and I would stay here again if I needed something really close to the airport.

I didn't try the hotel food, but if you've ever stayed in a HGI you know exactly what to expect for breakfast. There are a couple of restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel which are good for dinner.

Bottom line is this is a great place to stay if you need something close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jandrfas
Thanks for your feedback regarding our property.

You are correct - we are currently undergoing renovations - thank you for being patient with our appearance.

Our property is wonderful for early morning flights out of ABE - our shuttle service works out favorably should anyone want to leave their vehicle in our parking lot and not have to pay top dollar for parking.

Thanks again for staying with us - look forward to seeing you again!
Flanders, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel had the most uncomfortable and sagging mattress I ever experience…..unacceptable for a Hilton hotel.
Also the room smell like cigarettes even thought it was a smoke free room.
Check-in & Check-in out was fine
Staff were friendly
Location is very Convenient

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We apologize for you unsatisfying hotel experience you had, while staying at our property. We do follow strict Hilton guidelines and only carry the approved bedding as requested by Hilton.

In the future, should you have an unpleasant smell, please notify us, as we have specific measures we can take in maintenance to rid you of the unpleasant smell.

Thank you for leaving us feedback - we will work to improve - we hope to see you again!
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I met my wife for a 5 night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. The room was clean and the staff was excellent. My first floor room was across from the rear pool entrance and was VERY noisy. I admit we did not ask to be moved and just dealt with it. The bed was TERRIBLE. I have stayed in hotels all over the US and this bed was sad. It was suppose to be adjustable for firmness but nothing I did with the control on the bed helped or made any change at all. My wife visits me about once a month and we try to stay some place nice. Not sure this will get another chance. We tried the hot breakfast but it was very ordinary and quite expensive for what we got. There is a Waffle House within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob S
Thank you for your feedback regarding our property.

We apologize that you did not care for our beds - however, they are Hilton Brand Standard bedding and we follow strict guidelines to replace them every other year to ensure quality.

You will be happy to know, we are undergoing renovations at the moment and will be featuring some new menu items in our Great American Grille once the project is complete. Please consider trying our hotel out again, as we do strive make all of our guests satisfied.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was there on Business for a full week. Very Clean and fresh smelling room. Everyone was very friendly. Room Service was the Red Robin that is adjacent to the hotel. The food was good and they were quick to deliver.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jan D
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding our hotel!

It is great to hear how positive your stay was with us - we do hope you come back and join us again in the future.
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

First let me say, the staff here was wonderful. I requested a non smoking room and was given one on the first floor by the back entrance at first. We tried it out, but the room smell of cigarette smoke as did the lobby. I asked to be moved and we were moved to an upper level non smoking room, but the smell of smoke in the hallways was overwhelming. Had we not be able to open the window, I would have probably gotten sick from the smell and perhaps checked out.

Again, it is a shame because the staff was so nice and polite and helpful. I wish Hilton would do what Marriott have done and make all their hotels 100% non-smoking.

Room Tip: I would do upper floor away from the pool. Also a front room is better due to a truck stop in the b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jj1994
HGIABA, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I do apologize for your inconvenience at my property. I had my maintenance staff take a look at the ventilation of the building and they could not find any blockage of any kind. However, we did do a full investigation on the problem and we are confident we have resolved it. Im glad my staff was very helpful and kind as they always are. We hope to see you again soon.
Hollywood, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Nice hotel and even helped me out when my flight got cancelled so 5 stars from me. Internet was great, the staff was real friendly and made it very easy. Staff was also very knowledgeable and just overal a real great place to stay at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stuart R
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our property!

It is refreshing to hear how well our staff was during your stay with us. We do hope you come back and stay with us again in the future :)