“Another Sandy nightmare...”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Branchburg, New Jersey
“Another Sandy nightmare...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Another disappointed guest who stayed at this hotel. Never use Expedia to book hotels and avoid this hotel. Wife, daughter and I booked a room in the midst of Sandy black out and arrived to find no power or heat. We only agreed to stay because the manager offered a discount off for the night. When we went to check out they never gave us the discount and when we tried to go back after the fact the manager's story was bascially "sorry you have to go back to Expedia first and we will give them credit and they will pass it to you" which of course was not the story when I tried three times to get it through Expedia. To top it all, the manager I dealt with at Hilton property on site was super agressive within ten seconds of the start of our conversation as if "he was going to show me" and that nothing could be done. The only positive is they gave me a few bucks off on second stay but it was never in lieu of making good on the way we were overcharged on the first stay for a place with no heat or lights. Avoid this property you have plenty of other options in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding our property and how we faired through a natural distaster.

Understanding that our computer systems were down, prohibiting us from contacting our arriving guests - we did the best we could with the information and resources that we had.

Unfortunately, with Expedia reservations - part of the 'fine print' mentions that the hotel is not directly billing you, thus, we can not alter, extend, cancel or discount your reservation, as our computer will not allow it.

Our staff did what they could to make right on the mistake and offered a discount towards a future stay with our hotel, should you need to travel back into the area for any reason.

Once again, we appreciate your understanding, as Hurricane Sandy wrecked havoc on our property and communities. Please accept our apologies with any miscommunication on our end. We are here to serve the customer and will continue to do so.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel weekly since August for business. The location is great. Shopping, dinning, and Starbucks all right across the street. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. Leonard Palmer, Office Manager, is wonderful. Always greets you by name and just provides excellent customer service.

Room Tip: If you don't like sleep number beds be sure to book rooms with double beds.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lprimeal
Thanks very much for your positive feedback on our property.

We take pride in our customer service and are glad to hear that you appreciate all we do for our most loyal guests.

Additionally, thank you for choosing our property while staying in town on business - we understand you have a number of choices and greatly appreciate that you choose our hotel.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed for convenience to places and people I was visiting. Clean room, pleasant staff, good breakfast. Nearby food choices. Stayed one night and plan on going back for Thanksgiving holiday. Typical Garden Inn quality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stanley Y
Thanks very much for your review of the hotel.

Glad to hear you enjoyed everything while visiting the area. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Recently stayed for a 3-night weekend work trip; I couldn't have asked for more. Others had issues with noise, I did not. I did stay in a room facing the front of the building (odd numbered rooms), so perhaps that had something to do with it. The room was clean and comfortable and exactly what I expect for a Hilton Garden. The property is right in the middle of a major dining / shopping area and is less than a 5 minute drive to ABE airport.

What stands out about this property is the staff. Everyone from the gentleman at the desk in the evening (who made it a point to call me by name each night) to the waitress at breakfast each morning had a great attitude and knows what customer service means - something that seems otherwise lost today.

If I were really stretching to find something wrong with the property it would be the business center. Unfortunately they don't have the computers locked down very well so they're bogged down and are extremely slow trying navigate / print. Not a huge deal to me at all - but if I were looking for something wrong here, that's my only gripe.

Overall, great property - I'd definitely stay again if I were in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room facing the front of the building to avoid noise from an adjacent indust...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ROTPS144
Thank you very much for your positive review on our property - we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly look forward to your return in the future.

You will be happy to know our hotel is undergoing renovations at the end of the year, which will include our business center - we will be upgrading our computers, lobby, breakfast area and decor.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

After my glowing review a few months ago they have let me down badly. First of all when I checked in on Sunday evening I was given a room that had not been cleaned since the last occupant had left. The hotel lost power on Monday evening thanks to Sandy - OK you have to accept these things but would have expected the next night for their to be some contingency for guests after all where is the duty of care. No reservation made in any other hilton that had power in the area, no contingency for hot water, heat or light. In fact the emergency lighting for the unlit stair wells was glow sticks. Told we were welcome to check out although there was no other hotel accommodation available or we could stay as it was - not helpful.

I would have thought that with a group the size of Hilton that any hotel within 20 miles that had power (and there were) should have accommodated those from other hotels that did not as the first priority, it seems this did not happen. Our company travel agent found us some accommodation in the Allentown Holiday Inn on the Wednesday and Thursday nights and I was flying home on the Friday.

I perfectly understand that natural disasters happen but there was a weeks notice for this and it was almost a certainty as I understood when I got there that they would lose power, so the least you would expect is emergency lighting and some other contingency for heat and hot drinks.

Very disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We are very sorry for your recent experience with us in conjunction with Hurricane Sandy. Please know that we did our best to keep all of our guests safe and comfortable as we experienced this abnormal situation – we hate to disappoint any guest and we truly appreciate your honest feedback on how the situation was managed. We will use guest feedback as we review our policies and procedures to be better prepared should a similar situation arise in the future. We appreciate your understanding and hope you will accept our apologies for the unfortunate circumstances.

Mays Landing, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We walked in on a friday afternoon and they were able to accomodate us with a handicap accessible room. The entire staff was helpful and very polite and the room was very spacious and comfortable. We had breakfast at their small cafe and it was worth the money. This was our second stay here and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Allentown area. Nice choice to close by restaurants including a couple in walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you very much for the positive feedback!

We appreciate that you enjoyed our hotel and look forward to hosting you again.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

To be fair, the room was clean and the linens were fresh. Other than that I was disappointed in the amount of noise coming from the industrial area behind the hotel. They were backing up all night and every time they did it would let out a loud beep beep beep... so much noise coming out of there. I was also not able to get the room to cool down to a comfortable level even though the temperatures were in the 50s (as a high). Normally I am freezing cold but the combination of not being able to get the room to cool down and the heavy comforter it was hot and miserable. I got hardly any sleep for the 3 nights I stayed there.
The location aside form the trucking company behind, it is close to restaurants and shops which I enjoyed. There were things close by to go do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tripcasey
HGIABA, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Allentown-Bethlehem Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay.

We sincerely apologize that you experienced such a dissappointment with the noise coming from the business located behind us. We continually take preventative measures to ensure this noise does not disturb our guests, but we are very sorry that you lost sleep over this.

We will continue to work with this other local business to ensure they understand the importance of our guest's sleep.

Please consider giving the hotel a try again, we will ensure you have a front facing room and that you are comfortable and relaxed the next time around. Thanks so much again for bringing this to our attention!