“Suitable for the whole family”

America on Wheels Museum
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Allentown
Toowoomba
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Suitable for the whole family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband is the car buff who enjoys looking at the cars, reading about them and taking plenty of photos. This one did not disappoint him.
I like to walk around and read only about the cars that interest me. However there was a short movie on how mail is delivered plus two other short ones around the museum that I found interesting to listen too. There is also an old diner open from 11 am to 3 pm from Thursday to Sunday serving small meals.
For children there is a few knobs to turn to work out what vehicle suits them. A car to hop in and have photo taken in. As well as sit in the drivers seat of a Mack truck and see and hear the truck going down the road.
All in all everyone should be happy here for at least an hour.

1 Thank toowoombababe

• Korean first
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice Museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I visited the museum in June 2013. We decided to check it out since we were already in Allentown for the day. My husband is a classic car buff, and we have been to many other car museums. This museum was very nice and clean. We were there on a Friday afternoon, and it was pretty quite and hardly anyone was there--which was nice--we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.

The museum is located in a run down area, almost all by itself, at first we thought we were lost, even with our GPS. The museum had beautiful flowers all around the outside, and it looked like a brand new building.

The gift shop downstairs as you enter was really nice, and the prices were not bad either. They had a jukebox that played 50 and 60's music for free. (well it was free the day we were there) I played a couple of Elvis songs--I couldn't resist!

The Hub Cafe upstairs was nice, but a little disappointing. There was no one in there and no one at the counter, so we didn't know if it was open or not. The lady downstairs said it was open, but like I said there was no one there. My husband snooped around for a bit and he finally found someone to wait on us. It was very hot in the cafe--I don't think they had the AC on--or maybe no AC at all. The man that waited on us was nice, but he didn't really know what he was doing. I think he was filling in for someone. He was stocking something in the back when my husband had to go and find him. I got an ice cream cone and my husband got a cookie dough milkshake. The guy made the milkshake and he put way too much milk in it (and he knew that--but served it to my husband anyway for 4.oo) I tasted it and it was all milk and watery and very little icecream--so needless to say we paid for a 4.00 cup of milk. We were the only ones in the Hub Cafe and my ice cream melted so fast due to it being so hot in there. I am sure it's a nice cafe at other times--i guess we just picked a bad time to go in for some ice cream.

If you have some free time in Allentown, like we did, and you enjoy classic cars and history--definetely check this museum out.

Leesburg, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Well Worth Visiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This museum - about transportation, trucks and cars is facinating - especially to an "old car" person. The displays are excellent and the staff and volunteers are very willing to provide information and background. The facility is supported by Mack Trucks, which has its HQ in Allentown and the truck display is great. Two floors of exhibits make this at least a two hour tour - well worth it...

norwood, nj
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“FABULOUS MUSEUM...but”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

As a car guy this museum was fantastic from the peddle cars to the motor cycles to the NASCAR and racing display to the trucks. Everything was great...however someone in housekeeping has to spend some time scraping the wads of gum left by the numerous school groups that have visited the facility. Coming off the elevator to the second floor one is greeted by a multitude of colors of chewing gum wads that have been stuck to the columns along the wall. I realize that this is a disgusting job to have to do, but my experience in public education assures that if the area is cleaned on a daily basis, future school trips will not be alerted to the habit and perpetuate it. Otherwise the rate would have been excellent.

1 Thank hioctane
Lake Oswego, Oregon
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great presention of classic cars, trucks and motorcycles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is museum is a class act. Very high quality displays with many great cars, motorcycles and trucks. The museum lays out the history of transportation, so you learn about route 66, the Pennsylvania Pike, and other great roads. In addition to the many cars, on the second floor is a exhibit explaining how cars are restored. There is a tribute to Mack trucks, a company with has its roots in Allentown (I didn't know this before I visited). There are some AC and B model Macks and company memorabilia. They have regular revolving displays; when I visited they had almost a dozen 1940s to 1950s vintage woodies - some Chryslers, Chevys, Mercs, Fords and Chevys. The museum includes a vintage diner on the second floor called the Hub Cap Cafe. It wasn't opened when I visited, but it appears you can get an old fashion malt and other drinks. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Richard C