Tripadvisor
Allentown

“Fantastic Food, Reasonably Priced”
Review of The Wicked Chef

The Wicked Chef
Ranked #124 of 546 Restaurants in Allentown
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Even though this place is a bit out of the way for me, I have been there 4 times in the past month. The food is studpendous, and very reasonably priced. Everything is made from scratch... John even stuffs his own Kielbasi.
My favorite dish is the Potato pancakes (3 GIANT ones for 6.95), seriously the best I have ever tasted (Sorry mom!). And the homemade applesauce increased the level of enjoyment.
The Blackened Prime Rib Sandwich (12.95) was similarly awesome...Blackened prime rib served with balsamic roasted tomatoes, arugula, fried onions, on a ciabatta roll with an apricot sour cream spread on it.
The German Potato salad had larger pieces of potato in it than usual, but the taste was exactly like I remember my great-grandmother serving us in Germany. Absolutely the best German Potato salad I have had in the US.
The Smoked Chicken Wings (10.95) tossed with a sweet and spicy jalapeno plum sticky glaze, and the Gobbler (9.95) fresh ground turkey mixed with smoked gouda and roasted red peppers on a brioche with mayo, arugula, and Roma tomatoes are also among my favorites.
I have had a couple of dishes that were merely good, in my opinion, but that is the worst I can say.
The chef is pleasant to talk to and always accomodating. This place is a true hidden gem.
Just beware, it does close by 7:00 pm.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (4)
Reviewed January 15, 2020

Stopped in for lunch following up on a strong recommendation from someone who had tried it.

Immediately greeted by someone at the counter who it turns out is John, the owner. I asked him for suggestions and he accommodated. The sandwich I had, a bargain at $10.95, was a Kresge, substituting for the chicken breast excellent, overflowing, tender smoked brisket accented with layers of flavor that I found unusual for this type of cuisine, but very welcome.

John is clearly knowledgeable and appears to be as careful with food handling as he is with taste and presentation, very important in terms of defense against food-borne illness. Nearly as I was able to determine the kitchen and serving areas were spotless.

This place is not easily visible from Cetronia Rd and therefore may be described as a hidden gem.

I suspect they do an impressive carry-out business because there is no appreciable competition in this particular ethnic market space.

I'm hoping the restaurant increases its menu offerings to include appetizers and desserts and would expect them to be prepared with the same attention to taste and texture as the items already offered.

For now the restaurant earns five stars. I'll be back and am anxious to see the direction its owners take to broaden their approach.

I wish this restaurant continued success.

Date of visit: January 2020