“Gorgeous”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hamilton Blvd
Description: Located in Allentown's downtown, across from Allentown Symphony Hall.
PA
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Where to start? OK, go to Cosmopolitan and get the Wagyu steak. It will be THE BEST steak you have ever had. I have been to steakhouses, and this was better. Also, go on Thursday for 1/2 price bottles of wine. This is a real deal - you can either go cheap and get a bottle of wine for $20, or you can get a fabulous bottle for half price. Here are the things currently that are yummy: gnocchi, crab cake, beet salad, onion soup, short ribs, chicken, and yes, the WAGYU!!!! The filet is great too. Oh and the bearnaise is perfect! Finally, if you like champagne, their house champagne is yummy. Not too bitter. Very nice. (And also half price on Thursdays!!) Ask for Nino as your waiter, but really they are all working hard and it shows.
Not to mention that cosmo is THE most gorgeous restaurant in the Valley - and they have valet parking. So, go.

• Visited May 2013

“Surprisingly disappointed”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I expected a lot when I made the reservation for dinner, my niece loves this place and has intentions of booking this venue for her wedding. So with great anticipation, I made reservations for 3 for dinner on a Saturday evening at 7:45. We were 5 minutes early and they made us wait the 5 minutes for our table. When they brought us to the dining room, there were a few empty tables. They sat us at a corner booth and instead of setting 3 places facing the dining room, they set it so we would all be facing away from the other diners. In other words, facing the walls. That was the 1st turn-off.
Our server was "pleasant" in a ditzy sort of way, she took about 10 minutes to offer us drinks and when she did, she asked if we were also ready to order because it's so busy in the kitchen. She said "I'm sorry" twice by this point.
So, we ordered our drinks, appetizers and dinner all at the same time. She assured us she would be right back with drinks and bread.
We received our bread and appetizers at the same time. Still, no drinks. As soon as the appetizers were placed in front of us a "manager?" appeared asking how our food was and were we enjoying it. We hadn't even picked up our forks yet which is precisely what I told her. She said "sorry" and walked away. Still no drinks. Oh no, wait...we had water which had been delivered as soon as we were seated.
Halfway through our mediocre appetizers, my husband had the onion soup which he said was very bland. My friend and I shared the artisan cheese and meat plate. Again, nothing special. Anyway, halfway through our appetizers, our server appeared saying the cosmopolitans would be out shortly they "didn't have enough martini glasses" so they're being washed now. 4th "I'm sorry".
Whew, finally drinks arrived when appetizers were almost finished.
We had a nice lull between starters and dinner. We were able to drink our first of 2 cosmopolitans slowly and enjoyed them,.
Dinner arrived. Plate was placed in front of my husband, what he ordered. The other two plates were not what my friend and I ordered. So they were all whisked away to another table. 5th "I'm sorry".
Another 5 minutes or so, dinner arrived - correctly this time. Another "I'm sorry for all this".
I have to give credit where credit is due - dinner was fabulous. Seared duck breast with apple farro, bussel spounts with pearl onions.
So, all in all, I have to say I doubt I will go back to this restaurant as there are so many places to choose from.
Did I mention how elegantly appointed this venue is? No? Well, let me tell you it feels good even when you walk in the door. Really and truly a beautiful place.
Don't let that put you off going though, you can dress any way you want. As a matter of a fact, on a Saturday evening at 7:45 there were diners there in tank top t-shirts and shorts. Another disappointment!
Guess all I can say is "I'm sorry".

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great dinner for that special occasion.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I ate here for our anniversary and were very pleased with the entire dining experience. Decor, service, food, atmosphere, etc... Everything was spot on. Unfortunately the rooftop lounge was closed due to construction. My wife can't wait to go back and enjoy the blood orange cosmos on the roof.

Allentown Pa
“Cosmopolitan stepped up their game”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I ate here some time ago and things have changed for the better. The ambiance is city hip, reminding me of a Steven Starr kind of place. Service was really professional and attentive from the moment we walked in the door to when we left. The food was tasty. I started with gnocchi and had the short ribs, my wife had grouper. Everything was really good. My wife loved her $5 Martini. This was a nice experience and we are glad we gave them another shot. We will return and are happy to see this place doing well.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“A Touch of New York City in the Lehigh Valley”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

"The Cosmo" is an elegant restaurant located in downtown Allentown. The decor is exquisite, right down to the old crystal chandelier from the original Hess's Store in Allentown. The entire staff from the valet parking attendants to the busboys were very courteous and friendly. Although the prices were a little high for a limited menu on Valentine's Day weekend, the food was excellent and prepared to perfection. Presentation was superb. Special kudos for the arugula lobster salad and the strawberry pie made according to the original recipe from the Hess's Patio Restaurant. A little too pricey for an everyday meal, but we will definitely be back for future special occaisions.

• Visited February 2013