“Avoid Allentown PA Homewood”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown-West/Fogelsville
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Michigan
“Avoid Allentown PA Homewood”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed in a number of the Homewood Suites properties and all were welcoming and pleasant, but then there is sometimes an exception. The Allentown site offers all of the same ameneties but the Management falls very short. Usually, when guests have a problem, management addresses it quickly and typically well. Four days in a row we had dried out eggs as a hot meal and were treated to a malfunctioning smoke detecter that loudly chirped about every 30 seconds - for all 4 days!!! We mentioned the matter on day one and were told what it was and how it would be fixed in a single day. We complained to Hilton of this matter and were assured that we would hear from the Allentown Manager in 3 days. In more than a week, he/she never bothered to call us. To make this Homewood work in the fine manner that we have seen elsewhere, it maybe that a management change is the best move. Until then, we would not stay here again as they do not care about their guests at this location under the present manager.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators as this hotel rings a bell everytime that you ride that elevator or aga...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank FranJimR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 24, 2011

my only complaint is the housekeeping ....... which if your anything like me thats a pretty big complaint. It is like pulling teeth to get clean sheets put on your bed and a sweeper ran through your room... We stayed there for a month and we knew of several ppl staying there as well that went out and bought there own cleaning supplies (broom, sweeper, mop, etc...) My advice for anyone who is planning to stay here for more than just a weekend bring towels, buy cleaning supplies, and come with low expectations!!!! Wish we would have read some reviews before we stayed we would have went with a red roof inn and probably had better service, but it is what u pay for, can't believe a hotel like this would have such poor quality of cleaning I would expect that kind of service at a low rated cheaply priced hotel... but a hilton? NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel........
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank demo402
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The hotel was clean and the rooms very comfortable. The manager was always around and the staff was very friendly. Our housekeeper Sharelle was a real sweetheart. The location is out of the way, but the high level of service more than makes up for it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dianer315
Parkville, Missouri
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I spent two weeks at this hotel and at first appearance this was a nice hotel. Over the two week stay I become very dissatisfied with the lack of service. My room was not being cleaned daily. The first day this happened I arrived late in the evening to find that my room was not cleaned, it was not a big deal but I was out of clean towels. Icalled the front desk and ask for towel to be left at my door for a mourning shower. They were not left. Again I made a call and the next day I had clean towels but no other service. Again not a big deal. I ask the front desk to make sure someone cleaned the room. They asured me it would be cleaned. Again it was not. Over a 2week period my room was cleaned 3 or 4 times and I started going to the laudrey to get my own towels. No one could explain why there was a problem only offered excuses. I will not stay here again andexpect better from Hilton.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank moto39
Sherman Oaks
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I tend to like these facilities so much that they are now the first hotel I look for when I am going to be traveling. A few advantages of this particular hotel. We were there on a Thursday - Monday. We went for the races in Pocono PA. This location is far enough from the racetrack that there was no price gouging. We flew into Philadelphia and this location was 1/2 way between the airport and the racetrack and both were very easily reachable by freeway/highway. Our room was a King suite - and one of the best features was that the bedroom had a separate thermostat from the living room. If you have one person in your party that loves to have a room cold enough to hang meat, this is the set up for you! The room was clean, the refrigerator was huge and quiet, which is always a big deal if you're the person on the sleeper sofa. There quite a few restaurants in the general vicinity of the hotel - we typically went with tried and true Cracker Barrel. The hotel's breakfast in the morning has a good selection, although I have to agree with earlier reviews that the eggs aren't always the best but who knows how long they have been in the servers. we got up early on Sunday to get to the track and even though breakfast wasn't scheduled to start for another 30 minutes there was a good selection for us to choose from already available - only the "entree" and the waffles were not yet available. They also serve a dinner for guests on Monday-Friday. We weren't in the hotel at dinner time either of the days it would have been served so I can't speak to the quality of that food.

The staff was very friendly and basically very helpful. We did note a drop off in service from the weekdays to the weekend. We had to ask the weekend staff for coffee, when none was left and washcloths (same). We came home on Saturday to find a very large puddle under the living room a/c, called down to the front desk and was told someone would look at it on Sunday. We left for the race, came home 4 or 5 pm, nothing had been done and the room now smelled of mildew (we had left the a/c off to be sure it didn't leak any more) The Sunday afternoon crew sent up someone with a wet vac who got a LOT of water out of the carpet, but the damage was clearly done and the dampness was on everything including the sleeper sofa. We discussed this with the manager on Monday morning and were offered a different room but we were leaving that day. They did make an adjustment to our bill for our problems.

I didn't notice any methane gas smell when I was there but I did notice a LOT of truck traffic - pretty much all day and night. The hotel is in an industrial area and there were trucks rumbling up and down both route 100 and the cross street. Our room faced out to both streets - I don't know if a room on the other end of the hotel would have had the same issues with noise or not. There was less noise on Saturday night than any other day in our stay.

The stay would have gotten 5 stars were it not for the a/c problem and the noise from the trucks.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dianeinla
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The hotel has a major problem - it is located next door to a sewage treatment plant. Perhaps this isn’t usually a big deal, but at night during our trip the plant was venting large amounts of methane gas (think of the worst bathroom you were ever in multiplied one hundred times) which filled our room late at night with an awful methane smell. This odor was so strong and so terrible it woke us up and it made us feel sick. In truth the health department should investigate it. We were in the last room at the end of the hall in the hotel closest to the sewage treatment plant which may explain why we were experiencing the smell so bad. Why anyone would ever build a hotel next to a sewage treatment plant defies logic. We reported the problem to front desk one night at around 11:30 p.m. and were told - "yes we are aware of the problem". The next morning I inquired again in person at the front desk and they said there was no report of my complaint, but they would look into it. I heard nothing back. That evening I stopped at the front desk again and spoke with the acting manager. The acting manager attempted to investigate the problem, but there was no odor at that time of the evening - apparently it is vented late at night. She then credited our account for one night of our stay and offered to move us to another room in the hotel. However, a similar sized room was not available. The acting manager then offered to put us up at another location nearby in Bethlehem, Pa for the last night of our stay. After consulting with my family we decided to move to the other hotel. This was a burden as we had to pack and then unpack for one night plus travel to Bethlehem, but given the stench, my family wanted to get at least one good night of sleep. We appreciate all that the acting manager did for us to try and make us happy - she went the extra mile, but the truth is that this situation put a damper on our vacation. Further, I’m not sure that the refund of one night compensates my family for the problems we experienced. The Bethlehem hotel was great, but I could never in good conscience send anyone to the Allentown location without disclosing all this. Also, in fairness it is possible that the problem was exacerbated by hurricane/tropical storm Irene which had just passed through the area, but I am not sure. I certainly did not see other fellow Tripadvisor reviews warning of this problem so it may have been temporary. I also understand that the hotel has established some way to communicate with the treatment plant in the future if there is a problem.

One final note and not intended to add insult to injury, but even without the smell you should know that the proximity to major road doesn't help either - hundreds of trucks go past the front of the hotel all day and all night - so a room facing the back may be a better alternative.

It is a shame because the hotel is otherwise a great value. It has large rooms, is clean, has great staff (special kudos go to the acting manager), a pool, a sports court, nice included meals (breakfast every day and dinner Monday through Thursday), and is reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank AREWETHEREYET11710
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We had a relaxing stay. Believe the reviews. The place was clean and quiet. We enjoyed the breakfast and managers reception. Wifi was strong. Staff was very friendly. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2011