“Kid friendly interactive, educational site.”

Da Vinci Science Center
Ranked #8 of 41 things to do in Allentown
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Many hands on exhibits with signs inviting exploration and thought, and explanations of why things behave as they do. Room to roam, volunteers avaiable for help. Elevator to second floor. Gift shop with themed gifts. Sign on bee exhibit said "bees are better pollinators then bees". The use of then instead of than drove me nuts. Perhaps they have corrected the sign now. (If we want our kids to be super scientists, lets be sure they can adequately report their discoveries.) Lots of signs telling of local scientists' discoveries gave a personal touch. Some food available at certain times. Ample parking, senior and military discount.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

The DaVinci Science Center is a wonderful little museum located in Allentown, PA. One can find special exhibits, as well as ongoing ones such as a touch tank that houses sea creatures. They have a weather station where one can pretend to be a television meteorologist, an awesome tunnel where kids can navigate through a maze, and a shadow room which allows participants to contort themselves in the darkness and see their shadow when the lights are turned on. DaVinci Center has a nicel gift shop, programs of various interests, and classes for kids. It is a great place for young and old alike. We are seniors and enjoy going there, even without our grandchildren!

1  Thank jessecat_10
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Went on a Monday following Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. Museum was virtually empty. Went with 3 children - two teen boys and an eleven year old girl. Almost every exhibit was a hands-on type which really made the difference. The staff was excellent and patient. For example, they were willing to accommodate my daughters repeated requests to use the shadow room where a strobe light leaves a shadow impression on a glow in the dark wall. This is not a place where you will spend all day - two hours is sufficient. It is very clean and fun. The only food available that day for those interested was a few vending machines. Other than my son's souvenir yo-yo breaking almost immediately it was a good time.

2  Thank AREWETHEREYET11710
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I just took my children (ages 6 and 8) to the center, finally, after passing it several times. Upon arrival, the building is new and neat and the interior is clean. However, after going to the exhibits, I was thoroughly disappointed. First, the building is misleading to the size of the exhibits. The area for exhibits is very small. The majority of the space is used for offices, classrooms, and an eating area. Upstairs is merely a hallway filled with exhibits surrounded by classrooms and offices. Most of the exhibits are self guided which does nothing for children who can't read. I even had trouble understanding the point of some of the exhibits because they do not have an explanation. At the time my family went, there were 6 exhibits closed in addition to an indoor/outdoor bee hive with no bees. I don't base my rating on this but given the limited number of things to do, I think this is excessive. Of the workers we saw, a couple of them were helping children with some of the more difficult or dangerous items but the rest seemed like guards patrolling making sure the children wait their turn. Lastly, and most important, the price was astronomical for the product. A family of four costs $41. We went through all the exhibits, then let the kids roam freely and we were still done in 1.5 hours. I think the center has a lot of potential and is a much needed place for children in the Lehigh Valley, but I will not go back until the center expands it's exhibits or the price matches the experience. My children did love the center but they don't pay the bill or understand value yet.

13  Thank LifeInER
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Spent the weekend in Allentown and while going to the shopping center, I noticed the words "DaVinci Center" on the wall of a building...Decided to look it up online and learned it's a science and technology center. The website mentioned recipricol admission if you have membership to other science museums (which I do--we got in for free!). So, we decided to go..myself, my husband, and my 3 teenagers (well 17, 19, and 20 yr olds)...It's not just for kids...We were all entertained and amazed with all the hands-on science stuff...they have a bunch of brain teaser puzzles that kept us busy for a while, they have a tank where you can touch starfish, snails, sea urchents, shrimp, etc...trhey even have a real beehive!!!(in a glass box with a tube opening to the outside). There's also a wind turbine outside. Here's the web link http://www.davinci-center.org/exhibits.html Great spot!!!

1  Thank WittyLena