“A Fun Hands on Experience”

Da Vinci Science Center
Ranked #8 of 39 things to do in Allentown
Bellmore, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A Fun Hands on Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Went on a Monday following Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. Museum was virtually empty. Went with 3 children - two teen boys and an eleven year old girl. Almost every exhibit was a hands-on type which really made the difference. The staff was excellent and patient. For example, they were willing to accommodate my daughters repeated requests to use the shadow room where a strobe light leaves a shadow impression on a glow in the dark wall. This is not a place where you will spend all day - two hours is sufficient. It is very clean and fun. The only food available that day for those interested was a few vending machines. Other than my son's souvenir yo-yo breaking almost immediately it was a good time.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank AREWETHEREYET11710

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“I beg to differ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

I just took my children (ages 6 and 8) to the center, finally, after passing it several times. Upon arrival, the building is new and neat and the interior is clean. However, after going to the exhibits, I was thoroughly disappointed. First, the building is misleading to the size of the exhibits. The area for exhibits is very small. The majority of the space is used for offices, classrooms, and an eating area. Upstairs is merely a hallway filled with exhibits surrounded by classrooms and offices. Most of the exhibits are self guided which does nothing for children who can't read. I even had trouble understanding the point of some of the exhibits because they do not have an explanation. At the time my family went, there were 6 exhibits closed in addition to an indoor/outdoor bee hive with no bees. I don't base my rating on this but given the limited number of things to do, I think this is excessive. Of the workers we saw, a couple of them were helping children with some of the more difficult or dangerous items but the rest seemed like guards patrolling making sure the children wait their turn. Lastly, and most important, the price was astronomical for the product. A family of four costs $41. We went through all the exhibits, then let the kids roam freely and we were still done in 1.5 hours. I think the center has a lot of potential and is a much needed place for children in the Lehigh Valley, but I will not go back until the center expands it's exhibits or the price matches the experience. My children did love the center but they don't pay the bill or understand value yet.

13 Thank LifeInER
Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“DaVinci Science Center at Cedar Crest College”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2009

Spent the weekend in Allentown and while going to the shopping center, I noticed the words "DaVinci Center" on the wall of a building...Decided to look it up online and learned it's a science and technology center. The website mentioned recipricol admission if you have membership to other science museums (which I do--we got in for free!). So, we decided to go..myself, my husband, and my 3 teenagers (well 17, 19, and 20 yr olds)...It's not just for kids...We were all entertained and amazed with all the hands-on science stuff...they have a bunch of brain teaser puzzles that kept us busy for a while, they have a tank where you can touch starfish, snails, sea urchents, shrimp, etc...trhey even have a real beehive!!!(in a glass box with a tube opening to the outside). There's also a wind turbine outside. Here's the web link http://www.davinci-center.org/exhibits.html Great spot!!!

1 Thank WittyLena
Langhorne, PA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Awesome find for kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

We took the kids to the Allentown area for a long weekend recently and decided to stop in to the Da Vinci Science Center for an afternoon. We found this to be a wonderful stop for kids interested in fun and learning. It is chock full of activities, all hands on, for kids. Learning about engineering, sciences, etc is what this place is all about. Even an exhibit and activity on how to make paper airplanes that you can then fly down the hall. The completely dark maze was the highlight of the downstairs (teaching about the sense of sight).
We participated in a demonstration or class about liquid nitrogen that was fantastic for the kids and adults alike, so be sure to ask about special events while you're there. The instructor for that event did a great job of teaching about the nitrogen and showing the group about how COLD it is.

I'd say the age range is likely mostly 4-9+ or so. I hadn't found much information about this museum, but it is well worth a side trip for inquisitive kids. I don't recall a particularly good food offering there, so you might want to call to check or plan meals elsewhere.

1 Thank relambjr