Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Allentown, New Jersey
“Roaches”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel was horrible, the rooms were filthy, stains on curtains, the ceiling was coming down. And in the morning when I put the light on, i saw several roaches crawling on the walls by the sink. Would never go there again, nor would I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2013

While traveling for work I was searching online for a hotel room and came across the Howard Johnson and it had a special offer so I decided to check it out. It was great I checked in on a Thursday afternoon and was staying until the following Thursday. The staff was very friendly and when they asked the reason for my stay I was offered tickets to see the Harlem Globe Trotters so that I could have some time for fun instead of "all work no play" I believe the gentlemen put it. It was great, I got two tickets at no cost! At check out the lady at the desk asked how my stay was and I told her it was great and that another staff member had given me the tickets and she told me to come back in the summer they sell discounted amusement park tickets for Dorney Park right across the street so I am sure I will be doing that. Aside from the free ammentities the stay was excellent. Free WiFi, heated indoor pool, clean room, free breakfast in the morning, in walking distance to a lot of really good food. If you need to stay in the area I suggest the Howard Johnson and the Chicken Lounge across the street (make sure you show your room key at the restaraunt you will get a discount)

Room Tip: For $20 more I upgraded to a suite which all have brand new beds in them and were very comfortable...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My family traveled to Allentown to visit the in-laws and we usually try to stay as local as possible, this was our first stay at the Howard Johnson due to a bad experience at the previous place we had stayed. We could not have been happier with the accommodations and the staff. The room was very clean and even for a smoking room did not have the usual odor that comes with reserving a smoking room. The kids had a blast in the pool while we relaxed in their hot tub, it was all indoors and heated which made it very enjoyable. There was a strong chlorine smell that to some may be something to complain about but to me it assured me that it was properly maintained and very clean. Also there were so many resturaunts within walking distance that most offered a discount just by showing your room key.

Room Tip: The suite we had was great, had two beds as well as a pull out sofa
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah M
WILKES BARRE
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The breakfast buffet could have been nicer. They could have served hot foods instead of having just toasters and a microwave to warm up the food. Also they could of had a little more choices. Some of the electrical outlets in our room did not work and we did not get new coffee for the next morning. Also, new cups...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank CHRISTINE S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We walked in on a Friday afternoon and they were able to accommodate us with a handicap accessible room. The ENTIRE staff was helpful and very polite,and the room was very spacious and comfortable. We had breakfast at their small cafe' which was free. This was our second stay here and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Allentown area. Nice choice so close too restaurants,including a couple within walking distance. Our room had all the amenities like coffee maker,fridge,microwave,free wi-fi,which is a huge plus! We loved their indoor heated pool and jacuzzi. I would highly recommend this place to someone looking for a value!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Emily L
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I traveled to Allentown to visit family and booked this hotel for 4 nights. That was a mistake.

I saw the AAA approved sign and the fact that it was across from Dorney Park and figured that it couldn't be all that bad, but I was sorely mistaken. As soon as my wife and I saw the room, we went back down and canceled the last three nights. We only stayed the first night because we were so tired from driving for 9+ hours.

Our room, 203, was tiny. Only one person could walk between the bed and dresser. I didn't mind the size of the room, but it was very dirty. The carpets, bed covering, and drapes were stained. I have no idea how the drapes got stained....I don't even want to know! The sheets were clean, so we just threw the covering on the floor. The fire alarm was hanging by wires. The bed was firm, which I like. Cobwebs decorated the corners of the room. The lobby had a really strange smell. I don't know what it was, but our room didn't smell.

The breakfast seemed poor. I didn't eat anything, instead going across the street to Dunkin Donuts. I never saw anyone eating any of the food. They had two cereals, some bread, and a few pastries. None of it looked appetizing.

I booked through the HOJO website. One thing that really ticked me off is that you aren't supposed to be charged until check-out. Upon checking in, the lady asked for my credit card and she told me that it was just an authorization. What she really did was charge my card. I was planning to pay cash, but found out upon check-out that my card was charged when I offered to pay for the room, even after being assured that it wasn't during check-in. I decided to leave the charge on the card because I didn't trust them to refund it.

In the past, I've stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites, which is just a couple of buildings down from HOJO. I recommend staying there, instead of this place. I wish I had this time around.

Room Tip: The best tip I have to offer is to not get a room here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve G
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Very unkept & run down. Doors to the the rooms were dented on the outside as if they were kicked one two many times. Fixtures in the room were hanging off or not attached at all. The microwave in the room didn't work & the remote wasn't programmed for the tv in the room. But the worst was the two roaches we seen in the bathroom. Unfortunately we weren't able to get another room last minute. I will NEVER stay at this hotel ever. Dorney Park visitors beware!!!

• Stayed January 2013