“Decent lodging. Online pricing worth the value.”

Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was looking for a place near Dorney Park that fit 6 of us with an indoor pool for the little ones and found that this Ho Jo's was the best value for what I was looing to spend. I took two king rooms and it was sufficient. The rooms were a little smelly especially with a/c. Hallway sounds came right through the door at night. Rooms were otherwise clean with nice basic amenities, microwave, mini fridge soap shampoo, conditioner, lotion.
The pool was sufficient for quick swim/ playtime. Kids liked the hot tub. Little dark though even during daytime. Continental Breakfast was included which was nice. Would possibly do again. For the price it was worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank LLaury

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Just to worn people staying here this hotel is dirty we stayed here for the 4 th of July the room was ok the food was nasty pool was small and there was roachs I was the only one in my family that sat in the jacuzzi tub everyone else took showers and then I woke up to what I thought was a bug bite now a month later i find out its ringworm and it spread all over my body I called and complained I didn't want anything just wanted them to be aware and they basicly said it couldn't have happened at the hotel really ill never stay at this hotel again ill pay extra for a better one you don't have to believe me that's fine but whatever you do don't sit in the tub

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank mclovesjj
FourStar1, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Our hotel is one of the cleanest hotels in the Region. Our Housekeeping teams use the best cleaning products as well as preventive cleaning methods. We strongly feel that your health issue occurred elsewhere It is not fair to blame one of the best hotels for your issue. The claim seems to be more of a personal hygiene problem

Our management team takes great pride and respects all views but this incident did not occur at our hotel. Your doctor would advise that your medical condition most likely occurred at a public place like a Park, Mall, or public restroom. It also can occur if you have poor health.

Again, our hotel is very clean and has always maintained a high level of excellence and cleanliness.

We always exceed expectations. Thank you

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The hotel and room was dirty. I would never stay there again. The breakfast in the morning don't have many choices. There was a dog in the pool area. The only positive thing I can say is that it is in a good location.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Dawn S

Thank you for your comments. Howard Johnson has undergone a $2 million upgrade including:
new Carpeting, Serta Perfect Sleeper Beds and Pillows, Refrigerator and Microwave units, carribean Blue Pool. In addition, we have been awarded best new Hotel design of the Lehigh Valley. We apologize that you felt otherwise but we would love to have you revisit our hotel.

Our Housekeeping team has been recognized as "the BEST" in Allentown area. Our hotel is very CLEAN and modern.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This place is old and run down. First thing we saw was the old pool- they allowed us to use it since we arrived 40 minutes before 3 and they didn't have any rooms ready. Anyway, the pool water was very cloudy, and it was so cold in the pool area that my husband and I were wrapped ourselves in the towels provided by the hotel. They were small and thin but at least there were a lot of them.

Finally got our room key (I had to go ask, even though they said they'd bring it to us as soon as it was ready), and the first thing I saw in the room was horribly stained carpets, and water stained walls. Even worse: the shower was not clean. There was hair everywhere, and it needed a good bleaching. The bedspreads were stained. At least the sheets were cleaned: I had to walk past the laundry facility to get to my room and saw them cleaning and ironing the sheets.

Walls were thin: could hear our neighbors who weren't necessarily being overly loud.

Then, we packed up our bags to leave and I hadn't even walked out the front door when I realized I forgot something in the room, so I turned around and went back to get it and the housekeepers had already found my boxes of fudge and salt water taffy and had the fudge open and were reaching in to it. My room was on the first floor, and I had been gone literally 2 minutes! If it was forgotten I guess it's fair game, but they sure didn't wait long enough to be sure I wasn't coming back.

It is convenient to Dorney Park, we walked there from the hotel, but you do have to cross a very busy divided highway. If I ever go back I'll pay more to stay at someplace less run down and cleaner. I've been in old motels and hotels before, but this one just felt like a dump. Even the color scheme- browns and yellows- was depressing. Pay extra and go somewhere else, there are a few places right down the street that looked newer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christina Z
FourStar1, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Allentown/Dorney, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had booked this hotel because it was the cheapest for the location next to Dorney Park. The hotel itself is a 10 minute walk from the park which saves you alot on parking and it is also walking distance from great restaurants, stores and icecream. The hotel itself is pretty typical. A little overpriced for a Howard Johnson but i guess they can get away with it because of it's location to the park. The room itself was clean enough, the bathroom had stains on the wall and the shower curtain could have been cleaner but nothing horrible. The sheet didn't fit the bed and during the night we were basically sleeping on the mattress. My biggest complaint was we were 2 doors down from the lobby so from 7am on it sounded like people were literally in our room during the continental breakfast. I would have requested a room as far away from this as possible if i had known. The breakfast itself was fine, cereal, bagels, muffins and coffee. Nothing great if your looking for a good breakfast go elsewhere. But for what it was which was a 2 night stay to go to the park it was fine! Staff was friendly as well!

Room Tip: Request as far away from the lobby as possible!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poprok17
Reviewed July 22, 2012

first you walk in the lobby all you smell is cigarette smoke then you get to the desk the woman wasnt friendly but the guy was! pok now the room! what was suppose 2 be a 2 room suite was their old office as stated on the door when you go in! we had to rearrange the chairs to open the sofa bed! toilet paper was"gray"as were the towels (of what we got of) ok off to pool! omg can you say chlorine?didnt stay there too long way too much of it! as for breakfast..... please pass free or not!! too many people in a small space for bootleg fruit loops and microwave"frech toast"as the many kids sneezing all over everything as the lazy desk attendant texting on her phone! the one thing that was ok was the air conditioning and the conveinece of places to eat across the street !

Room Tip: dont look for a "suite "here! or a decent meal! omg this place was the worst
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank catdine
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Rooms are over priced for what you get. There's a light directly outside the window that will keep u up. The airconditioner is noisy, and the TV doesnt work unless u mess with it... Disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2012