“Excellent meal along Main St.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Main Street Cafe

Main Street Cafe
Ranked #5 of 5 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Rafael, California
“Excellent meal along Main St.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a delightful lunch, in the window of Cafe Main Street. Our waitress was very caring and suggested the Monte Cristo sandwich, something we hadn't had in years. A nice way to people watch from a window table and take in the flavors of the excellent soup and sandwich we had.

Visited May 2013

SJ CA
“a tasty treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We got there almost at 2pm but we were seated, told the specials of the day and we were given great service. the food was very good. The special that day was the Montecristo sandwich and it was fabulous. We alway have had a great meal at the Cafe Main Street.

Visited April 2013
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
“Bad experience that lasted 2 days”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stopped in for a chicken salad on sunday 3-10-13 . Chicken salad was cut into pieces and mixed into my salad. I have eaten there many times and the chicken was always laid in strips on top of the salad. I ate it and missed two days of work because I was so sick. I called on 3-13-13 and the owner was not in so the lady who works only in the mornings took my name and number said she would have him call me. The only reason I am writing this is because he did not care enough about me to call me so I don't care about him or his business reputation. I have never written a review before in my life but this makes me feel better to get it off my chest ( I would only have told him).but now I am posting this because of no phone call. My date was sick also.I will never ever eat there again and will tell my friends about my experience. He can still call me if he would like to he has my name and number.

• Visited March 2013
16 Thank John P
York, PA
“Unless you are desperately hungry, so elsewhere!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

A total lack of competition is the reason Main Street Café is in business. There is really nothing appealing about this place. The atmosphere is sort of Sports Bar-ish: jerseys and photos on the walls, TVs – even in the bathroom (gimmicky); but the overall look is haphazard and tired. Stackable metal banquet chairs and chipped veneer tables complete the décor.

Upon entering, we were approached by a very young girl who barely spoke to us and did not dare crack a smile. I believe the entire staff is prohibited from smiling and being pleasant to the customers. Every single waitress looked the same: super skinny, torn jeans, severally pulled back hair, and no smiles except when they laughed and talked among themselves. I watched our waitress approach our table smiling and laughing with a coworker, but as soon as she arrived; her smile disappeared as if flipped off by a switch. I also did not appreciate having to help her do her job. Every time she brought me something, she insisted on handing it to me from across the table instead and placing in front of me. There was no reason she could not have walked around to me as the table beside us was vacant the majority of the time we were there.

I had a cup of the chili – it came with no cheese, lots of beans, little meat and even less spice. For my dinner, I ordered the beer battered haddock. It was over cooked, dry, and flavor-less except for a very slight fishy taste that told me it had been frozen. No lemon wedge was served with it. The French fries were also frozen and just ok. My husband had the ribs which were baked, not smoked, and were a little tough and dry. The sauce was something out of a jar/bottle and very bland. His side dish of potato skins were limp and soggy and the cheese was sauce from a can. Their only redeem quality was they were topped with pieces of real bacon.

The other members of our party had equally mediocre food. The sweet potato French fries ordered by one member of our party were left virtually untouched. Everything that was eaten was due to hunger, not taste. The waitress did ok with drink refills, but otherwise did not bother with us. A small, pleasant surprise can when the waitress asked if I wanted a box and I told her no. I must have said it in a dissatisfied enough way because it prompted to her to ask if I didn’t like it. I told her I didn’t and she took it off the bill. But that was all she said. No “Sorry, you didn’t enjoy your dinner.” Just, “I took that off the bill.” with an unsaid “Now get out so I can roll silverware and laugh and talk with my friends.”

We were there on a Saturday night, about 8pm – prime time for a sports bar so maybe we just hit them on an off night, but I sort of don’t think so. Perhaps they read me as a one-time, out-of-towner and figured I wasn’t worth a smile. Friends local to this area choose this place; I would have rather gone elsewhere.

If you can wait 10 minutes, drive a little over 6 miles on Route 22 to Hoss’s. They have a friendly, smiling wait staff, a nice salad bar, and decent food. It’s not 5-star dining, but it’s predictably good and they appreciate my business.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Jennliner
“Wings beer and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I love this place! Their wings are great, it's in a great spot right on a river with outdoor seating with a view of that river! Their sandwiches are well worth the price and all of their appetizers are wonderful! You won't be dissatisfied if you go there expecting great bar food!