“Lovely Place”

Ranked #1 of 2 Addison B&B and Inns
Dumfries, Virginia
“Lovely Place”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed 4th of July weekend here. This historical home is updated nicely. The hosts are lovely people who want you to be comfortable and enjoy their home. They offer suggestions and are willing to help in any way.
I had a summer cold starting to make me feel badly, Kitty made me a warm O J and wine drink. It was a nice gesture. Breakfast was wonderful!
We enjoyed some shopping in the area, antique browsing at the Blue Moon and visiting the Amish furniture store. It is close to Falling Water and Outdoor water activities. A great location to enjoy nature.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Joyce R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Joliet, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband & I thoroughly enjoyed our 3-night stay in the Trapper Room. From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed and pampered. The house is beautifully decorated with elegant, yet homey furnishings. We especially enjoyed the courtyard with water fountains and peaceful nooks to sit & relax. The flowers and plants were spectacular at every turn. Kitty & David are kind, gracious hosts who were very helpful in suggesting area restaurants and places of interest. Best of all were the delicious breakfasts! Wow! Kitty has put together wonderful menu choices with flavor combos that are a delight. What a way to start the day! During our 3-night stay we were able to chose each day what time we wanted to eat, as well as which entree we preferred. Every bite was wonderful. Thank you Kitty & David for a wonderful retreat from the outside world!

Room Tip: The house is on a very quiet street in a small town. The only downside was not having a bathroom in...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert M
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The Hartzell House is such a lovely place to stay, I would come back here anytime given the opportunity. Five stars *****

I enjoyed the antique furniture everywhere. Breakfast choices were extraordinary, coming fresh out of the oven every morning. The room was beautiful, with many interesting books around. The hosts had all the information needed to get around the area. Noteworthy is also the courtyard with the little waterfalls and the Japanese maple, just lovely!

Thank you for making this place available to your guests, Kitty & David.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Christa0819
Virginia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hartzell House. The breakfasts were wonderful and the house was on a quiet street. The room we stayed in - Painters Room - has a private bathroom, but it is not connected to the room. The bathroom is hard to navigate if you prefer showers (the ceiling is angled and an adult will hit their head if they stand straight) but the tub was nice and with an attached spray nozzle you can sort of shower if you kneel in the tub. The location is central between Fallingwater and Deep Creek Lake; restaurants and shopping are several miles away.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper_Kitty, Owner at Hartzell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 11, 2016
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Artist's Suite at Hartzell House. We decided on a Jacuzzi tub for that bathroom, as we had many requests for one, and tucked it in the space under the eaves. I sneak up there on nights with no guests to enjoy a nice soak, myself, and find it most convenient to just shower off while I am sitting in the tub. Thank you for alerting me to the fact that some people who rent this room are not aware of the fact it is a tub with a hand held shower. I will try to make that more prominent on the webpage!
We are right in the midst of a fabulous, four season vacation region, and have many dining options within a 5 to 30 minute, scenic drive of the inn. I am so sorry if I somehow missed sending you our area dining and activity suggestions list. It usually goes out with my welcome email shortly after we receive a reservation. If you come back to the area, please email me and I will send you a copy so you don't miss out on the surprising amount of resources our wonderful Southern Laurel Highlands has to offer.
Wishing you happy travels!
Kitty
Wethersfield, Connecticut
Reviewed June 30, 2014

6/30/14
On our way from Hartford, CT to Chicago, we decided to visit Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater in southwestern PA. We found your website on the Fallingwater website everything looked great so we booked it. When we arrived in Addison and walked through your front door, we knew we’d made the right choice. Although we were in the area to see Fallingwater, we were very impressed with your home and all the exquisitely designed rooms to entertain your guests. The wall decoration in the “Teacher’s Room” where we stayed was amazing! Each room on the lower level was unique and had a charm of its own. We especially enjoyed the breakfast out on the patio with the fountains and flowers. Talking about breakfast…we started with homemade chocolate macadamia nut scones and ginger yogurt with fresh fruit. I had the broccoli-artichoke “quiche” with spinach, tomatoes and pignole side dish. Pat had the very light whole wheat Belgian waffle with fresh fruits. It was the most delicious and elegant breakfast we’ve ever had. We also enjoyed the complimentary wine and beer in the evening. Our stay at the Hartzell House was as enjoyable as our tour of Fallingwater. Thank you David and Kitty for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Teachers room - just for the wall decoration!!!
1 Thank BOBNICHOLAS
Port Saint Lucie
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I decided to experience staying at a B&B as I had never stayed at one before, it was fantastic!!! I loved it so much I will continue to stay at B&B.
The food was excellent, and the place was super clean!
The owners are very pleasant people as well.

Thank you Dave and Kitty for such a wonderful experience :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank XimenaMusic
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this beautiful and historic B&B tucked away in the tiny town of Addison, PA. Kitty and David, the proprietors of the B&B, are the epitome of what an inn keeper should be. They are super friendly, incredibly helpful, and keep an immaculate, comfortable and beautiful home. The rooms on the "historic side" of the home, the trapper room and the teachers room are both beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The breakfast we were served was also delicious and presented beautifully. I highly recommend this B&B for anyone traveling in the area.

Room Tip: The teachers room has a firmer bed and the trappers room has a softer bed.
1 Thank teruki_neko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
Casselman Inn
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Connellsville Bed and Breakfast
Connellsville Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 2 in Connellsville

Been to Hartzell House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!