“Nicest B&B I've stayed in”

and 1 more site!
Hartzell House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Addison B&B and Inns
Oak Harbor
“Nicest B&B I've stayed in”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I always do my homework searching reviews and all were great for this place with raves about the food. Stayed in September 2012 and all reviews were correct. Great place, great hosts and great breakfasts! Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob were just a short drive from Addison. Kitty was helpful with dining locations and a great antique place in Maryland. David is truly a gourmet cook. Really enjoyed our stay and would love to come back again this year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a much needed weekend getaway. I found the Hartzell House online and wanted to stay here because of the reviews online and the description of the food. I have to say the breakfasts were fantastic. There were always a few items to choose from and it was hard to choose. My husband and I always got something different so we could share. There was a light first course usually consisting of a homemade pastry and fruit and yogurt followed by a main course. We ate later in the morning so we only needed a light lunch later in the afternoon.
The house itself was very warm and inviting. We stayed in the original part of the house. I loved the history of the home, and it was very well decorated with plush furniture and warm lighting. Sometimes B&B's can feel very museum like where you are afraid to touch anything. This was not the case here.
The hospitality provided by Kitty and David was top notch. They were available to chat, but also respected our privacy. David provided extra logs on the fire so my husband and I could enjoy a glass of wine late in the evening. We loved learning about their home and all the work they have done. Every square inch is very well thought out and you can tell they had the guests in mind when doing the work. They were very accomodating on all aspects of our trip.
We had a wonderful weekend and were able to relax and reconnect. Thank you David and Kitty, we will be back!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast, and as someone who is used to staying in hotels, I was skeptical. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my stay at Hartzell House was much more comfortable and convenient than my typical hotel experiences.

Kitty and David are wonderful hosts. They seemed to have a sixth sense about just how much socializing we were in the mood for, and were solicitous without being obtrusive. We decided to follow their advice on where to eat in the area, and were not disappointed. Kitty also has a really comprehensive itinerary for a day trip to and from Oakland, Maryland that's an enjoyable way to explore the area and has something that would appeal to everyone.

Their breakfast menus are impressive and no matter what you choose, it will be delicious. The portions are perfectly sized to be filling enough not to need a snack before lunch, but not too filling that you're too bloated to do anything.

The house is filled with comfortable places to lounge and have a glass of wine and play chess. The room itself was clean, beautifully decorated, and well-stocked with toiletries and common medications. The bed was very comfortable and I probably slept better than I do at home.

Room Tip: The Traveler's Room has a private bathroom, which is very convenient. We had the place to oursel...
1 Thank Teresa Q
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I surprised my husband for his birthday, and took him to see Falling Water, and to stay at Hartzell House. It was fantastic! We had the Angler's room and it was comfy, and cozy, and full of anything you could need, even the best smelling lotion! The breakfast was simply amazing, with three courses I was beyond full, and completely satisfied each time. Coffee was great, too. The place is stocked with snacks in case you get the munchies, and the owners were super hospitable. They made suggestions on where to eat out, and both times the restaurants were a hit. They even called ahead and got us into Autumn, last minute on a Friday night.

Room Tip: I think we had the smallest room, the Angler, but it was just perfect for a romantic getaway, and ha...
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It is a pleasure to recommend the Hartzell House B+B 100%. Kitty and Dave are just terrific hosts. The whole place is beautiful, inspired, elegant, comfortable. Bed linens/dressing are sumptuous.
Each room a blend of elegance, attention to detail, with comfort and antiques galore put together with a designers aesthetic and an artists soul. Food is to-die-for, indulgent and super healthy.
From beginning to end this was an absolute lovely experience. Conveniently located to Fallingwater and the Purple Fiddle and many things in between. Highly recommend!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I highly recommend Hartzell House to anyone staying in the area. Kitty and David are fabulous hosts who really care about their guests comfort. The breakfast is delicious and their home is spotless! Kitty helped us plan out the day when we had to change our original plans due to the weather. We had a great time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at Hartzell House in early October, 2012. Wrote a review and TripAdvisor ate it,so here's a revised version.

First, Kitty and Dave are gracious and considerate. I stayed in the Travelers' Room, and my back didn't take kindly to the foam mattress topper. Since I was staying several days,I asked if they could remove it. No problem; the topper was taken off right away and I slept much better.

The food is delightful. I should have taken a picture of the first omelette Kitty made me. It looked like a painting. She and Dave are people born to be innkeepers; they act as if having guests is the most fun they can possibly imagine!

I really enjoyed the area on the first floor where they left an electric kettle and very good selection of teas. Could make my own any time. (The lavender tea was especially nice.)

A couple of points which kept me from giving this a five-star rating. The Travelers' room has a lot of lighting, but it's quite dim, especially over the sink. I had a hard time putting on make-up because the sconces weren't very bright. And the en suite bath is tiny. You can't open the door all the way because the toilet blocks it. That being said, the shower is quite roomy and loaded with wonderful bath products that are worth trying.

Kitty and Dave are constantly renovating and adding to the property. I'll definitely stay there the next time I'm in Addison, so I can see what they've done next.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Innkeeper_Kitty, Owner at Hartzell House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
We are so sorry this guest was not 100% delighted with her visit to Hartzell House, because yes… having guests IS the most fun we can possibly imagine!
We feel the need to address a couple of issues that were pointed out in this review.
When booking, this guest alerted us to the fact that she was visually impaired so we offered her the extremely roomy and light-filled Patriot’s Suite (our fully handicap accessible suite), with its bright, big-enough-for-a-small-army bathroom, but she elected to stay in the historic wing of the house preferring the period ambiance. When we gently modified the Traveler’s Room to include an en-suite bath, we did so with care not to compromise the integrity of our 1870, Carpenter Gothic Victorian, while still offering visitors the convenience of a private bath. To address her visual impairment in preparation for her visit, we exchanged all the energy efficient LED lighting to high wattage standard bulbs in her room. If she had let us know while she was with us that she needed additional lighting we would have happily and immediately provided additional light sources (with the same swiftness and discretion that we removed the top-of-the-line Memory foam mattress topper from the Stearns and Foster mattress when she complained about the sleep quality of the room). In the eight years that we have had guests staying in the Traveler’s Room, this dear visitor is the first to complain.
To clarify about the area where we “left an electric kettle and teas”; this is a kitchenette off the east-wing dining room with a guest fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and teakettle, with teas, cocoas, ciders, and a hearty selection of complimentary munchies that are accessible to snack-seeking guests 24/7.
We love our guests, and try to make any adjustments necessary in order for them to walk away relaxed, rejuvenated, and planning their next visit to our B&B!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
Casselman Inn
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa
Historic Summit Inn
Historic Summit Inn
#2 of 4 in Farmington

Been to Hartzell House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!