“Absolutely the most quaint village - Ever - Worth Visting”
Review of Stoudtburg Village

Stoudtburg Village
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Adamstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Stoudtburg Village is primarily a residential hamlet that is reminiscent of a village in Germany. We have a few individually owned specialty shops, and a café that serves food and alcohol. The Village is always open for strolling our walkways and admiring the unique architecture and lovely gardens. You can also sit and relax in the plaza while listening to the sounds of the water splashing in the fountain. At the top of the fountain sits a cherub, affectionately known to villagers as "Peaches." We will let you figure out why :). Picture taking is a common occurrence in Stoudtburg Village. We often have wedding parties taking advantage of this beautiful location for pictures of their special day. So come and enjoy this unusual setting...take a stroll, sit and chat awhile, stay as long as you like!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stoudtburg Village is absolutely the most quaint and unusual small village. Apparently, others think so because on just the five times in the past two years that I have visited the village, each time there were photographers using the village as a setting for a prom, weddings and other photo shoots. The houses are adorable as are the winding narrow little pedestrian streets dotted with unusual shops and cute little court yard style gardens. The pedestrian walkways are cobblestones and an antique-looking fountain sits in the plaza. While there are only about 12 or 14 shops in the village, there are many other things in the area all within a mile of the village. There are lots and lots of antique shops on Route 272 very close to Stoudtburg Village, spediality markets, a micro brewery, and nice restaurants. The village has a bed and breakfast. I made special trips to attend the arts and craft festivals in 2012 and 2013 - over a hundred juried arts and crafters for two days and there is no charge for parking or an entrance fee. There is a Christmas holiday event each year that is wonderful. You feel as if you are in a quaint, old Bavarian village. Go to this event in the evening - the golden glow of the lights outside each house makes this a destination in itself just to feel the atmosphere and soak in the charm. I have been told that the village is still growing and when finished could end of being twice as large as it is now. There is so much to do in the general area that it is a place you should not missing visiting. I am looking forward to a return trip in December for the holiday events.

The only negative thing I experienced in the village is the candy shop. If you have a sweet tooth, then bring your own candy to munch on.. I bought a pound of assorted chocolates and other type candies. I purchased the box of chocolates as a gift for the person watching my pets while I was on a weekend get-a-way to Lancaster/Adamstown and surrounding areas. Glad I was tempted to sneak a piece of the chocolates before giving to my friend as a thank you gift. The candy was so stale that I threw the box of it away. Not only was that an upset, but the candy was a bit high in price and was a well known brand of candy. I wonder if the candy supplier knows the shop sells the candy when it is not fresh. I would really have been embarrassed had I given it to my friend as intended. And, the shopkeeper was not the friendliest person. She seemed like tending the shop was a chore. She was abrupt and not a plus for that shop. Do not know if she was the owner or an employee.

5  Thank Robert H

Reviewed October 15, 2013

First thing on walking through the entrance gate, my teenage son started singing the "Welcome to Duloc" song from Shrek. It looks exactly like that, even down to the empty, ghost-town appearance. No one is there! We were not thrilled with the shops. Other than the flags waving out front, it was hard to tell what was a shop and what was a private residence or office, or whether or not they were open. It is impossible to tell what kind of shop/merchandise was inside without going in. There were only a few shops & some of them had very little merchandise in them. There was a primitive/country gift shop, a private winery's wine shop, a store that sold vintage/used boy's collectible toys, a "hippie" gift shop, and some shops that were hard to categorize because they were bizarre (like one that had a couple knick-knacks, a few homemade baby clothes and little else). There were a few cafes, but we did not try them. It is pretty to walk through, but not a good shopping destination. It could be a great place if it had some quality shops.

4  Thank MountainTraveler370
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Love the colorful shops, I went to a winery, Candy shop and a bar at the center by the fountain. Very cute place.

1  Thank Mariaura
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The concept of Stoudtburg Village is great but they really miss the mark. After our second trip there we felt we had to write a review. The first time we went was in March. The lady at the candy store told us a lot of the shop keepers go to Fl in the winter so not many shops were open. We just went back in Aug. thinking everyone would be open and we'd get to experience the real village. Also, they were advertising vendors and a farmer's market so we were excited to experience that too. There was one produce stand, a pierogie stand and one sad looking vendor table of knitted pot holders. Again, not all of the store were open and it seems like more residential than business. The brochure and the website make the village look like so much more than it is.

5  Thank heika27
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Unfortunately not too many of the shops were open, the place seems more deserted than a village. The shops that are there also weren't that interesting. I stopped into the antique part and the smell set of a migraine for me. This was not a high point of my day.

2  Thank cjj223