Review Highlights
Modest Frank Lloyd Wright

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jim R
Bellingham, Washington
Good tour and great restaurant

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
RandyRoss
Ridgetown

All reviews balter house tree tops restaurant frank lloyd wright falling water fallingwater and kentuck knob master bedroom lunch tour rare opportunity spent two nights tour includes visit fallingwater stayed one night keurig machine great architecture flw houses laurel highlands western pa
Reviewed 1 week ago

Unlike the other Wright tours available, this tour includes a very modes Wright house that's been moved here and two houses (less interesting) designed by apprentices. We didn't see it, but understand another moved Wright house is appearing soon. This tour is of a property about as far from Fallingwater as you can get, with typical style elements in a "modest" property. The hour tour was very informative. And, they allow indoor photography.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I don't know where they get the tour guides for these sites, but the one old guy we had at Polymath Park was terrible! He had this INFLECTION in his VOICE where he TALKED like THIS and made us all feel like we were 3rd graders. He just droned on and on and was so boring. He said we could take all the photos we wanted of the outside but none inside. Well, when I started to take a couple of photos outside, he was yelling at me to hurry up that they didn't have much time! Then inside, everyone with a cell phone was taking photos behind his back, but he catches me and berates me in front of 15 other people. I didn't rat them out and tell him they were all taking photos too. But he wanted me to wait outside and I didn't. I just followed along. I wasn't wasting the $24 that I paid. But I couldn't wait for this tour to be over. They need to step up the tour guides to younger people with better knowledge who don't repeat the same thing for each room of the house. What's the big deal with taking pictures in these old mid-century houses??? You can take photos in the Vatican but not some Frank Lloyd Write house? People would enjoy the tour a lot more if they could take photos to remember.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked our tour on the Falling Water website. In fact, I did not even know that Polymath Park even existed before visiting this site (to book a Falling Water tour).
This location currently contains the Duncan House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and the Balter and Blum Houses, designed by Peter Berndtson, a FLW apprentice. Another FLW house is in the process of being moved to the property and will be opened for tours next year. Also, there is a great restaurant, Tree Tops.
These houses were less expensive houses, intended for sale to the general public, as opposed to big custom houses like Falling Water. I still found them quite interesting. While photography is not allowed on the general tour, our great guide allowed us to take pictures, so long as we did not delay the tour.
At Tree Tops restaurant, my wife and I both had the steak salad and found it excellent. To drink, Lynda had a Pumpkin White Russian and I had the Maple Old Fashioned. Everything was great!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Assortment of Frank Lloyd Wright and apprentice homes. More being relocated in near future. A little rushed and not a lot of history on the homes themselves but definitely worth seeing.

Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

We visited the Frank Lloyd-Wright related houses in Polymath last Sunday. Well worth visiting to see some variations on Lloyd-Wright’s style and the tour here encompasses three houses over a one hour period.

The restaurant, Tree Tops, is fantastic. It has a great location with a raised terrace for outdoor dining almost in the tree tops. The menu is interesting with Steak Sandwich, Reubens Sandwich, Ravioli etc. And, finally, the execution of the menu is superb. Could not ask for better.

Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I recently went on their house tour with dinner. Do not recommend it.

2 of the houses were designed by wright’s apprentices. Nothing really special. The third house was one of Wright’s Usonian homes that was moved from Lisle, Illinois. Without the FLW furniture, it looked like a basic 1960’s house.

But my problem is not with the houses, they were fine. My problem is with the tour. I felt very rushed. We were hustled from site to site and really never had the chance to explore and ask questions. We were only given a few minutes @ The Duncan House before we were rushed back on the bus.

And then there was dinner. Included in the package was a 3 course dinner with a glass of wine.

The tour started around 3:15. We were seated in a cramped, hot corner of the restaurant by 4:30 with our appetizer and wine waiting for us. A salad quickly followed, then our mains. The food was fine, not great, but OK. We were finished before 5:30.

What did I expect? A more leisurely dining experience starting with wine on their deck, then some appetizers. And finally dinner served more during the dinner hour ( not 4:30).

Go to Falling Water, go to Kentuck knob. Skip this joint.

1  Thank stephen96821
Reviewed October 3, 2018

Polymath Park is privately owned which made the experience different from most FLW tours. We ate in the Tree Top Restaurant. The menu had the flair of chef that we later learned was one of the owners. Out tour guide was good. There are three house now, with a fourth almost complete. There are two house by Wright students. The third house, and ultimately the fourth house, were designed by FLW.. Duncan House is a Usonian design which was new to us, but is was meant to be for the average family. We chose to stay at Duncan House for one night because we would probable never get to stay in a FLW house again.. It cost more that a motel, but splurge and stay in one of the houses at least one night. You will not regret it.. The park is also close to Falling Water and Kentuck Knob. It would be shame not to make it a triple play.

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Robert was an excellent driver, tour guide, and all around site supporter. We are glad to see the houses preserved and believe the special events and tours are a hopeful way to generate funds to restore these homes to pristine condition so they can really wow visitors. Wish the coffee shop in the check in center had been open. Will consider returning for an overnight or special event.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

As a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright staying in the Duncan House was a true dream come true for me! It was the highlight to our trip to Fallingwater. Heather and her husband have an interesting story of how the Duncan House came to them and their preservation has done it more them justice. We were also fortunate to have a great meal at Treetop restaurant. I am looking forward to returning to stay in the Lindholm House also designed by FLW!

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Delightful host and informative too. Such a beautiful setting, friendly and helpful. A perfect event for a Sunday afternoon. Lunch was delicious and beautifully presented and the staff friendly and efficient.
We’ll be back!!!