“Glad we tried it!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Glad we tried it!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been wanting to try Altland House for some time. I was pleasantly surprised by the interior. It was very nice. There was a wedding going on and I expected bad service from the start. The bread at the beginning was very good. My kids really enjoyed it. The menu has a lot of choices. They even have a BLT section which I think is fantastic. My kids both ordered different BLT's. I ordered a steak and my husband a pasta dish. The kids loved theirs. My husband loved his. My steak was undercooked. I never send back steaks and I ate it the way it was. The crab cake was fabulous. I think the service was lacking. She may have been the only one there at the end if this wedding service as I didn't see anyone else. They should have had more staff. Overall, the experience could have been better. I will dine here again sometime hopefully soon and I hope that the service is better. This place has been around for a long time, there is no excuse for lazy or lacking waitstaff.

Visited September 2013

York, PA
“Total let-down”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had been wanting to try the Altland House for several years...it is very nice-looking on the outside. I finally was taken there for my birthday. What a total let down. Our bill for two of us was $120...which I am more than willing to pay for a delicious meal. However, I'd rate it maybe a 3 out of 10 - not worth that price tag.

I had the filet, which I swear was not seasoned at all. The bleu cheese mashed potatoes were lumpy and not very good. The best part was the steamed broccoli. I ordered creme brulee for dessert, which was slightly better than the rest of the meal...but not by much.

Service was slow. There was only one other table with people at it while we were there...really no excuse for the lack of attention we received.

I will say, though...the bread at the beginning, with roasted garlic cloves to be used as a spread, was delicious.

I won't be back any time soon.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank kelee79
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“Quaint atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I stopped here on our way down rt. 30. The restraint/hotel was very quaint and had the look of a small town tavern. When we walked in there was no one around and we waited almost 10 minutes before someone showed up. It appeared they had just opened (11:30am). We chose to sit on the porch and take in the town as the restraint sits right off the main traffic circle. The brought us these homemade chips with a balsamic drizzle. They were fantastic and on the house! We both ordered the cheese burgers. They were ok, but definitely not homemade, but premade patties. They were not that great, I would not recommend them. The sweet potato fries were good and my boyfriend had the regular fries and they were good as well. Over all, not the best food, but good service. The waitress was very attentive. If you’re looking for a quick bite as your passing through, why not stop!

• Visited September 2013
Virginia
“Poor management ruined a good meal”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We have been dining at the Altland about once a month for nearly twenty five years and consider it one of our favorite restaurants. However, our stop there last evening was anything but pleasant. Stood by the vacant reception desk for at least ten minutes until someone wandered over and that was just the start of terrible service. Waits for drinks, appetizers and the main courses were mind blowing. Did not recognize any of the staff in attendance and heard there was a new chef but, whatever, we will not return for another try until a lengthy period of time goes by. The food, by the way, was good but not worth the aggravation.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank greybees
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Try Downunder”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Two of us were early for a reunion dinner in Gettysburg, so we stopped by for cocktails in the "Downunder" bar in the basement. Dark, cozy and cool on a warm summer evening. The cone of homemade gourmet potato chips were delicious and irresistible. They appeared very quickly after we were seated. We ordered our martinis and a couple of appetizers: veggie egg rolls and a firecracker shrimp cocktail. Both were excellent, with lots of spice and flavor. I practically licked the mango salsa out of the shrimp cup.

We weren't there long, but would definitely go back. Their menu was interesting and the staff very friendly and accommodating - a nearby table did not like the seasoned chips and asked for a replacement with nothing on them. Not everyone is up for an adventure or something out of the ordinary, and the waitress handled the request very graciously and promptly.

• Visited August 2013