“Craving Great Food and the Nostalgia and Service of Yesteryear?”
Review of Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Let's start with what is most important, the food. My wife and I have been traveling to Gettysburg for almost 10 years and rarely miss an opportunity to stop in nearby Abbottstown, PA for some old fashioned, nostalgic, German cuisine.

From the complimentary house cheese (hint of horseradish and a zesty zip), to the homemade green garlic salad dressing (a must to try), what comes with your meal is scrumptious. In the day of easy ala carte, the Hofbrauhaus bucks this trend and includes with its dinners homemade soup, salad (with homemade dressing), and two sides of your choice. What you get is a variety of hand crafted German cuisine that is second to none.

I special order the Veal (Wiener) Schnitzel with the Jaeger (brown mushroom) sauce because it is that good. My wife heavily recommends the spaetzel and the hot potato salad to try for your sides. There is a variety menu for those who may want something more traditional (American cuisine), however, I suggest you give German food a whirl.

I've heard a few people complain on Trip Advisor about the business's interior being dated, however, I look at it completely different, The Hofbrauhaus, to me, is an old school, charming, family business that invests in what is important: The food and service. If you are looking for new, fresh, modern ambiance, you may be disappointed by what you see. However, my wife and I (who have been to some of the best restaurants in the world) do not come here for the bricks and mortar, we come here for the service, the smile, and the superb, authentic food.

Keep up the good work, Hofbrauhaus. We'll see you next time!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Ate here today on our way back from a match. When you walk in it is very ketchy German with all the mugs and other paraphernalia on the walls. We were seated immediately and the waitress was kind and cheerful. Though the drinks came out pretty fast the rest was slow. We were told we would get some cheese and crackers which came out about 15 minutes later. The cheese was interesting with a slight horseradish taste but crumbly not easy to spread on the crackers which were stale. The bread came out and it was cold, not warmed up at all. After about 45 minutes the food came out. I had a sausage platter with warm potato salad and red cabbage. It was okay but very bland. Everyone else said the same about the food, not a lot of flavor. Not having had German food I am not sure if this is the way it should be or not. Again the waitress was cheerful and attentive which made up for the lack of taste in the food. I would not drop by there again, not much to offer for my taste. Cost was reasonable for what you got and some of our party ordered sandwiches that were big and cheap so it is up to you to decide what to eat.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have been eating at Hofbrauhaus probably since 1980 and it hasn't changed one bit. Same German atmosphere and you get a lot of food for the price inclusing soup and salad. The horseradish cheese is excellent. Saurbraten is my favorite. Good selection of German beers too.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We went here on a whim. What a mistake. We should have left after seeing the menu, but we were starving. Honestly, you can get better food at the grocery store's hot food section. High prices, poor food and no atmosphere.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Nice family run restaurant. The monthly Friday buffets are nice, you get to sample several choices. A nice little gem tucked in a small quiet town.