When I booked this property for a trip to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (fabulous!), this property was part of the Windmill Suites (very small) hotel franchise. Since I really enjoy staying at their other properties, I booked this reservation with complete confidence. I was very surprised upon check-in to immediately note the difference in amenities and customer service.
First, general info - the hotel is right off the 5, so it is easy to get to, with on/off freeway access. However, it is quite a ways away from the main drag, which is where the action is. You MUST have a car to drive back and forth. Downtown parking is rather scarce, so that is problematic. Most visitors arrive by bus or car, but if you stayes closer to town, you can walk all over. "Town" is literally two long streets, so you will walk, regardless.
I interacted with three different front desk staff members, and all three looked like they desperately wished to be somewhere else. Although I tried, I could not even get a smile from any of them. They looked bored out of their wits and were reluctant to answer any questions or offer any assistance.
The property is huge, but there were very few guests staying there, and most of the hotel was shut down. There was not the usual free, full Windmill breakfast offered, just a breakfast basket that one could order that is brought up to the room in the morning. For 3 out of the four days, it consisted of 2 slices of bread (!), jams, a banana, an orange, a granola bar, and your choice of coffee or tea. The tea was Lipton. One day we received an English muffin. In each suite is a toaster, a microwave oven, and a small fridge, so one could purchase food and prep it in the room if they wished. The room was very nice, with an uber-comfy Heavenly-style bed. The price was reasonable, but I booked it during a Windmill Inn special, so I don't know what the regular rate is.
Maybe my stay would have rated a better review if I hadn't thought it was going to be comparable to a stay in a familiar hotel franchise. The rooms were just as nice, I didn't see a pool, and the fitness center was the same - a room converted over with a treadmill and a TV. What was so great about the Tucson Windmill Inn was the stellar customer service and awesome, full breakfast and service. If I had not stayed there previously and thought I was traveling to another franchise, maybe this would have been okay. All in all, Ashland Hills was rather disappointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a quiet side of town and just 3 miles from downtown Ashland this 14-acre property boasts panoramic mountain views, intimate courtyard patio, a seasonal outdoor pool and jacuzzi, as well as two tennis courts. Experience an uplifting 1970s retro-modern, timeless design, comfortable furnishings and over 160 spacious guest rooms and suites. Our guests enjoy complimentary continental breakfast, wireless Internet and parking. It's a perfect destination for families, business travelers, and anyone coming to explore this part of Oregon. Its location offers easy access to all the treasures and attractions of our region, including pristine mountain lakes, charming Ashland with the renowned Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and a fantastic dining scene. Just a short drive from the numerous golf courses, local wineries, hiking, biking, jet boat trips, rafting, fishing, bird watching and skiing. We are also excited to now offer our on-site restaurant, Luna Cafe and Mercantile. Serving specialty coffee and fresh baked items for sale from 8am - 11am, and then serving a full menu for lunch and dinner from 11am - 9pm. While you are Orbiting Ashland we hope you land at Luna! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Travelocity so you can book your Ashland Hills Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Village Suites At Ashland Hills Hotel Ashland
- The Village Hotel Ashland Hills
- Windmill Inn Of Ashland