“Another Great Stay”
Review of The Winchester Inn

The Winchester Inn
Ranked #9 of 30 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed here to see six shows at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. It is our go to place when we are in Ashland and they do not let us down. It is a home away from home. We are treated as family by everyone with outstanding service, food, and rooms. This time we also ate at their in house restaurant and it was outstanding. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
WinchesterInn, Owner at The Winchester Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thanks for joining us again! I am happy to hear that you feel that the Inn is a home away from home. We hear that from many of our long time guests and it never fails to make us happy, knowing that you are happy. See you again next year!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Winchester Inn. This lovely B&B is just off Main Street, and walking distance to nearly everything. The beautiful Lithia park is only a couple of blocks away. The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. Our room was very clean and comfy; we got a great night's sleep. We had dinner in their Alchemy restaurant; the service was excellent and the food was beautifully prepared. The grounds are very nice, many flowers and vines - a very relaxing atmosphere.

I also must mention that I let them know when we checked in that I have certain dietary restrictions and when we came in for breakfast, the staff was already aware and automatically served me food that is on my diet. The breakfast service is very nice, several choices, and elegantly prepared.

I highly recommend this lovely B&B.

Room Tip: Call when making your reservation. They will happily discuss the options with you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the kind words! I am thrilled that the staff took care of all your dietary restrictions. The kitchen especially is always happy to make accommodations. You are on vacation, and you should be able to eat like you are on vacation. I will be sure to pass your praise along to the staff.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

What a great place to stay in Ashland! The Winchester is a well-kept and charming inn that is just two blocks from the theater. They have some private parking around the inn, as well as unrestricted street parking. Besides the proximity to the theaters, we found many other reasons that made us happy we chose this place. They understand that hospitality is made up of many small kindnesses and thoughtful gestures. Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. We loved the luxurious linens, comfortable bed, the baked treat we found each afternoon in our room, the turn-down with another sweet, the provision of wine glasses and cork screw and other little conveniences. It really can be called a B and B Inn. We expect a great breakfast in a B and B; the breakfast here surpassed our expectations! In addition, they have a cozy bar and a fine restaurant. We have stayed in four or five other B and B's in Ashland; the Winchester Inn is now our favorite.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for joining us! We agree that the finest hospitality is made up of all the little touches and gestures that a guest encounters. I hope you have the chance to join us again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I spent 3 nights at the Winchester Inn, whilst visiting Ashland on business. The Inn is excellently situated in the center of town, although on a nice (albeit hilly) side street that guarantees a measure of quiet not so easily assured on the "main drag". It's only a few minutes walk from the theaters of OSF (Oregon Shakespeare Festival), a plethora of fine dining establishments, and even a delightful park with numerous walking trails and a bubbling brook. What more could a person ask for, to ensure an idyllic and restful visit? Well, how about some of the finest dining in the area (courtesy of their in-house restaurant, "Alchemy"), cozy rooms with sumptuous beds, large bathrooms, and refined touches of hospitality such as a different "Amuse Bouche" awaiting you in your room at the end of each day, presented under a small glass dome?

Breakfast, included in the price of lodging, is a delicious and delightfully languid affair, with delicious (and filling!) dishes, presented with obvious passion for the art, as well as craft, of cuisine.

My business trip was one of the most rejuvenating sojourns I've had in a long time: much needed and much appreciated, and in great part thanks to the kind and gracious people at the Winchester Inn!

Room Tip: The Inn is split in to 3 small buildings, though literally 10 seconds walk from one another. I enjoy...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
WinchesterInn, Owner at The Winchester Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you so much for joining us! We don't get as many business travelers as we do relaxed vacationers. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I would agree that Ashland has that idyllic charm. I hope you have the chance to stay with us again, regardless of business or pleasure, and if you are traveling on business, be sure to let us know, as there are discounts for business travelers.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed in the "New Suite" as well and loved every minute of it. It was wonderful to have our own building as the interior was like the perfect apartment and the 2nd bedroom looked onto a small patio, with privacy from the back of the bookstore. The windows were position high so we didn't even see the alley or parked cars. The kitchen had everything we needed, the beds were luxurious, the bathrooms beautiful and spacious. We have stayed at the Winchester once before and love it there. The gourmet breakfast was delicious, the staff was so friendly and helpful, and the surrounding gardens were in bloom - a perfect place to celebrate my daughter's 30th birthday!

Room Tip: Great location just off the main street. Free parking at the Inn and you are within walking distanc...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
WinchesterInn, Owner at The Winchester Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thanks for joining us! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the "New Suite". Embarrassingly, we are still trying to come up with a proper name for the room. We also feel like it is everything anyone might need for a family or couple's getaway. Hope you have the chance to join us again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is the fifth time in this property. We stay in the Robert Gordon Suite, which suits us well, in the building next door to the main building. What impressed me most is the bed! The sheets were like silk, & the covers were heavy & warm! I slept like a baby. The breakfast the next morning oh OJ, Strawberry Mousse, & sweet roll, followed by Poached eggs, with Prosciutto on cheese biscuit, while my bride has Brioche French Toast. Unbelievable experience all aroun.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the kind words! We are working towards that #1 spot, but there are a lot of fantastic properties in town. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the sheets (we are rather partial to them, and do happen to have them for sale) as well as the breakfasts! Hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I booked two nights at the Winchester Inn based on the reviews and their website, which promised charm, sophistication, and relaxation. We rented "The New Suite," which judging from their photos, offered all of these things, with the added benefit of a lot of space. We were traveling with our two boys and liked that it had two bedrooms and a living room area.

When we were given the keys and found our suite, to our shock, it wasn't even attached to the inn's property - it is a small stand-alone building, perhaps a converted garage, across an alley! I wonder why they failed to mention this when trying to rent the room?

Now, to be fair, the room inside was great - everything the photos suggested. It was very comfortable, and spacious, and charming. The only trick here is - never open the blinds to see outside, because you'll never see anything but the cars of the other hotel guests, or the back alley of a coffee shop with all of its trash cans. And if you feel creeped out walking down an alley at night in a foreign town, this also may not be your cup of tea.

From what we could tell, the main Inn was very nice. And the staff was friendly and attentive. They didn't even give me any hassle when I asked to cut our stay short by one night. I imagine they have run into this often when renting the New Suite. Warning: don't be fooled like we were.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank toomuchfire

Thank you so much for writing! I am so terribly sorry that you felt fooled. It is not our intention to fool anyone, ever. We are a property of five buildings, the New Suite being one of those five. It is actually a historic property and part of the downtown historic block (it was a surprise to us too when we went to renovate it). While the building does lack the views of some of our third floor rooms. We do try to make up for that with spacious sitting areas, and outdoor areas for when the weather provides.

I also understand the idea of being uncomfortable with being adjacent to an alleyway. However, Ashland is a very small safe town and the alleyway that we share is with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, the Columbia Hotel and the Bloomsbury Books Coffee Shop. We are always wanting to give our guests the stay of a lifetime, and I am so sorry that you feel like this one fell so short. Please, come directly to us and we will always do whatever we can to make your stay better. If you are displeased with your room, we will fix it. Flat out. We never want to see anyone leave unhappy.

I hope that you and your family have a chance to join us again so that we can give you the experience that you expected.