“Great breakfast--Poor experience”
Review of The Winchester Inn

The Winchester Inn
Ranked #9 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Winchester Inn is set on a steep hill one block from downtown Ashland. Steep flight of steps to the entrance and very steep, long flight of steps to the second floor where many of the rooms are located. Our room was tiny, dominated by a high bed that required a step-stool (provided), to climb into. All in all not recommended for seniors. On the plus side, the theater is justifiably famous, the town is very pleasant and it was a dynamite breakfast

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pamela L
WinchesterInn, General Manager at The Winchester Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

I am thrilled to hear that you loved your breakfast! However, I am terribly sorry that you had troubles with the property. While it is true that we do sit on a hill, we do have many older clientele join us every year. We are happy to help facilitate in anyway possible, such as getting you a ground floor room. While there is nothing we can do about the grade of the sidewalk, if mobility is an issue we can arrange to have your breakfast delivered to your room. I hope you know that the staff, when notified, will make every effort to make your stay more comfortable for you. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call me. I hope that you have the chance to join us again and try things anew.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent a magical weekend at the Winchester Inn during their annual Dickens Feast. Their beautiful, highest quality guest rooms to the fabulous meals was just heaven. Then add the lovely Christmas decorations, and the live vocal entertainment what a wonderful way to start the holiday season. We will be back again next year!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jean19811

This last year marked the 30th annual Dickens' Feast, and I have to agree that it was a special one. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal, as our Chef Billy, has been working hard to find that magical balance between new and familiar. Thanks for the kind words, and we are already hard at work for the next one!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Winchester Inn provides the perfect balance of historical ambience and modern comfort. Throw in a liberal dash of great service and voila - perfection!

Comfortable beds with amazing linens
Well maintain, spotless rooms
Central location
Simply Divine breakfasts
Great Specials

I could go on....

Thanks Winchester Inn - we'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iGuy

Thanks for the kind words! Everyone does their utmost in making sure that we strive for that level of perfection that you seemed to have found. I hope you get the chance to join us again soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have stayed at the Winchester for years on trips to Phoenix and Palm Desert. Honestly? This was the best stay yet. We stayed in the Robert Gordon Suite in the right building of the property. Fresh flowers, ice, and muffins awaited out arrival. With gas fireplace, and front Living Room (where I write this), the stay was exceptional. But the best of all was the bed. A thick down comforter, sheets that felt like satin, and a pillow that for me was perfect all made this a memorable stop. We will be back and request this room again. Fabulous one night stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I agree that the beds are outstanding. I think that combined with our sheets they make a combination that is practically unbeatable. I hope that while this was your best stay yet that the next one trumps it. Thanks again for the kind words and hope that you can join us soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have just returned home from spending the New Year in Ashland. We were last in Ashland in October and knew that we had to come back and spend a day to explore this beautiful and seemingly prosperous town. The Winchester Inn is a three (I think) building B&B with a total of about a dozen rooms - each from what we could gather were, as expected, very unique. We stayed one night in the Barbara Howard room (it was supposed to be two nights but an ugly cold had me turning back home early) and enjoyed it wonderfully. Fantastic bathroom, comfortable sitting area with a gas fireplace that was most welcome and a mattress on our king bed that was simply the best we've slept on. We had dinner New Year's Eve in the Wine Bar and couldn't have asked for a better evening. I understand they are giving the Bar and Dining Room a "freshening up" (dining room was going to close after the the 2nd) which will be welcomed but in no way prevented us from enjoying our dinner. Breakfast (which is included) was also very very good. This B&B is perhaps stronger in the kitchen than it is in the lodging. We'll be back!!!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terry C

Thank you for joining us for New Years! It is always a busy time and I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it. Now that we've reopened the restaurant and bar I hope you have the chance to come and experience the face lift!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Every time I come to Ashland (I'm up to nearly ten visits over the past 7 to 10 years), I stay at the Winchester Inn. Here are a few of the reasons why: great location, amazing accomodations (it's hard not to feel pampered), the most comfortable beds and seets I've ever slept in, extraordinary breakfasts (who ever writis about breakfast?!), an outstanding dinner menu and first class wine list. There's lots to do in Ashland and I sometimes find myself wanting to hunker down and just enjoy staying put at the Winchester Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

It is always a pleasure to soak up everything Ashland has to offer. I'm thrilled to hear that we continue to be one of those pleasures. I hope you have a chance to join us again soon!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Each time I have stayed in the Winchester I notice something newly added to the richness of decor, but somehow done in the most comfortable ways. What has not changed is the incredible standard of service. From a warm welcome upon arrival, to every personal need addressed throughout the stay...its impossible to miss the superior and authentic hospitality offered by the whole staff. The warmth and attention to detail in the rooms, and the comfort of beds and furniture add to a real state of relaxation. The service in the restaurant (as well as the beautiful bar adjacent to the lobby) is swift and professional and always personal, which is the character of the whole experience at the Winchester. One of the best parts is the gardens, and the proximity to the theaters and shops. Well done, Winchester Inn. I can hardly wait to return and see whats next!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

I will pass along the kind words to the staff. They take great pride in being able to offer the kind of service that always excels expectations. We hope you have a chance to join us again soon!