“Don't believe the website”

Lithia Springs Resort
Ranked #3 of 30 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2006

The grossly misleading website led us to expect a quiet rural retreat. Instead we found a roadside hotel next door to a Chevrolet dealer and a Mexican diner. The `spas' are plastic jacuzzi baths in the hotel rooms and while the water may well be healthy it smells very strongly of sulfur.'

The breakfast was the only redeeming feature but overall we felt that the experience was not worth the money especially as there are many alternative places to stay in the area.

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank RamblingRob

Reviewed September 6, 2005

My husband and I recently returned from a wonderful 3 night stay at Lithia Springs.

We didn't mind it, but the slight smell of sulphur everywhere inside is not for everybody. The slippery quality of the water is interesting, and after the first day, I was really looking forward to it. Ashland is famous for this water. The two-person Jacuzzi was great, and yes the mineral water runs through all the taps. Bottled water is always stocked in the fridge provided and is also available in the main office (all room keys open the door if it's locked).

The breakfasts are great as are the hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon (try the Lavender Lemonade). The restaurant was closed, but there are so many wonderful choices 5 minutes away, we weren't bothered.

The room was quiet, clean, restful, and loaded with fresh towels. I must say that I was worried about the proximity of I-5, but my fears were assuaged by our room's location.

The gardens are beautiful, with lots of blooming flowers and fountains.

We will definitely return to this unique B&B.

(I think the management must have changed recently, which explains some of the cranky reviews).

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank RoxyPaloAlto
NY
Reviewed July 20, 2005

Okay my wife and I booked this hotel for a night, which was supposed to be a romantic getaway for our anniversary. We got to the hotel and were greeted by someone at a desk who said hello, okay, here's your key, your room is at the end of the building. Some conceirge! So we check into the room which is nice, but the window treatments don't close all the way so passer-by's can see into the bedroom, most of the windows directly face the bed too! So after driving about 5-10 minutes into Ashland town to get some food, we drove back to the hotel for a romantic night! Firstly the jacuzzi tub was not really clean and the "mineral" water from the faucet smelled like rotten eggs! I turned on the jets to find clumps of hair and other substances floating (very romantic). My wife and I decided to take showers to try to get rid of the smell only to find out that the entire water system is well water that smells like sulfur! So no resolve! I intended to speak to someone from the hotel, and walked to the "front desk" to find the office closed.

Long story short, don't ever stay here unless a cardboard box is unavailable on the side of the street! For the price you pay for this room you could buy a new appliance and keep the box for shelter!

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

My husband and I just stayed one night at the Lithia Springs and were very disappointed...Our room was clean, but upstairs with a view of the local trailer park...and weeds. We could hear the I-5 freeway noise...had to go downtown for evening meals. CD library disks were all empty.

Not the garden oasis as promised...the dinner restaurant is now closed, the water from the tap/shower is not useable...bottle water only, but never stocked as noted...spa was closed on the 4th, breakfast was told to start at 8am...but the hot dishes were not ready until 8:30 am.

Poorly run...I think they are in some type of transition...would never return...

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank ktrmeadow
New York
Reviewed March 3, 2005

I highly recommend that you make reservations. The first time I attempted to eat here, I traveled to Ashland specifically to visit this restaurant for a review my managing editor wanted done for the NY Times. I was turned away. So I reviewed a different restaurant. Most recently I was in Ashland and this time I was seated.

I found the menu delightful. I was told that my original press release information had changed. The chef, Helena Darling, was no longer there but no matter-the food was fresh and fabulous!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 21, 2004

This inn could be quite lovely but it is so poorly run with confusion and undelivered promises by staff who seem to be more involved in some internal program than in customer service. My wife and I would not go back.

6  Thank travelterry
Petaluma CA
Reviewed September 4, 2004

We were there in June, and had a truly lovely time. The breakfasts are beyond compare: superb fresh fruit, cooked eggs and meats, fresh breads, yogurt, all with delicacy and superb taste. I'm a gardener and flower-lover, and the grounds kept me ever-appreciative---bounteous and varied flowers everywhere, everywhere well-tended and beautiful. The spa too is a delight and soothing to the body. A wonderful place for a true respite from work and home, a gem. It's near a bike path for running, and about 2 miles from downtown, its only drawback (for some this may be a plus).

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member