“"It's the Water"”

Ranked #4 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, Oregon
“"It's the Water"”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Lithia Springs Resort. This is not the same as the Jackson Well Springs next door...I know several people have gotten lost and headed next door.

I was curious about the mineral water. I had been exploring the possibility of "alkalizing" my body and received information from an accquaintance that these mineral waters contained not only alkaline, but lithium. Hey I'm all for trying to get rid of the winter dulldrums by soaking in lithium and alkaline to boot! I again don't know alot about it but am dabbling only....
I was also told this was/is a favorite bathing spot for the Native Americans (there is an article in the lobby or ask Duane or one of his staff..he loves to talk about his property)
The staff was so accommodating and pleasant, as was Chester the plump icon cat. They advised me there was afternoon tea which includes these wonderful little scones and homemade lemon curd!....Breakfast is a minimal fee from $6.00 (I had the eggs benedict...wonderful) and also an Oregon wine tasting for $4.00 or you may purchase a glass for $5.00.

I strolled through their winter gardens..(and it is even more beautiful in the spring - fall months)....to my room. It was very very clean, comfortable...and oh the large jacquzzi bathtub....yum. Could hardly wait. It felt so good to just relax ...enjoy a glass of wine....listen to nice soothing music from the DVD player...
The bed was so comfortable.

I had a wonderful experience, soaked in the waters. It was just heavenly.

I didn't see much of Chester except for breakfast....I think he is so sought after by adults and kids alike....that he just tolerates us...let's us pet and uh and ahhh over him...and then he must head off to soak his weary bones in the mineral waters perhaps?

I would definitely recommend this property. The drive to Ashland is a short 1 1/2 miles perhaps?....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
California
Reviewed October 2, 2008

We made our reservations not expecting too much, and were dazzled by everything. We have decided to make Lithia Springs Inn an annual vacation. We stayed in one of the English Cottages, which has two rooms, a living room and bedroom with king size bed. The living room has a jacuzzi and a wet bar plus TV, stero and table big enough to play games on or to put two laptops on. The breakfasts were wonderful. The grounds lovely. The sulpher water is hardly noticeable, and I soaked in the tub each day and it soothed my sore muscles. The staff was very friendly and efficient and the owner stopped by our breakfast table and encouraged us to let him know if they could do anything to improve the service. We couldn't think of anything. We think you'l love this beautiful inn.

• Liked — size, layout and comfort of rooms/breakfast/friendliness of staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Cave Junction, OR
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Although this bed and breakfast is only 75 miles from our home, we decided to spend the night when traveling to Ashland for a play. We stayed in the Emperor's Room, which is an eclectic room that feels like being in a museum! It has a double jetted tub that is perfect for enjoying the natural mineral hot water that gives the resort its name. The room also has a gas fireplace that adds a special ambiance in the evening. The resort has lovely grounds, full of birds and flowers. The morning breakfast was excellent: eggs benedict, fresh fruit, scones, and herbed potatoes. All in all, we had a wonderful time and would definitely stay again!

• Liked — Quiet location close to Ashland, beautiful grounds, terrific room, excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jann01
Rocklin, CA
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Wow, we had the opposite experience of some other reviews. Arrived on a cold rainy day, and found we were upgraded from a "garden room" to a suite. It was lovely! You enter to a sitting area with fireplace (gas), couch, TV, CD player, and then a small bar and the hot tub with the mineral springs water. Yes, the water tasted and smelled SLIGHTLY of sulphur, but it wasn't that overwhelming...and they offered filtered fresh water with carafes in the lobby area and filtered ice if you preferred. We enjoyed taking a nice hot bath in the water, and it didn't leave us with anything but a relaxed feeling.

There was a separate bed and bathroom, which were also nice and roomy. (Also a shower, if you're not into the tub.) I will say some of the furnishings was slightly worn, but certainly more than adequate.

We had the breakfast and it was above average for a more or less continental style and there was no problem with availability (we were there off-season and it was clear the inn wasn't very full) There's a large lobby/library/dining area, all charmingly decorated with a big friendly cat taking care of the place. There are flowers and gardens throughout the site. Service was great!

• Liked — overall comfort and charm
  • Disliked — can't think of anything.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DuffyMo
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We went to Ashland with another couple for a week long holiday. We rented a house that didn't turn out to be what was represented on line. We decided we really couldn't live there the entire week and started looking for another place. Well, August is high tourist season and most places were booked. We went by the Lithia Springs Resort just to talk to them about their upcoming availability and to see the place before we made any decisions. The grounds were unreal! All of the gardens and patios were extremely well maintained and made it so comfortable to be outside and enjoy the weather. The manager was very accomodating, understanding our situation and rearranged guests so we could check in the following day and make sure we had a room right next door to our friend's room. The rooms were clean and spacious. Yes, they were just a little tired but had many extras that made a longer stay more convenient. The staff was helpful with dinner reservations and directions. The breakfast every morning was fully stocked with a variety of breads, cereals and two hot dishes. The cookies that were available throughout the day made snacking very easy. Yes, the water smells a little unpleasant at times but it rarely lasts for more than a few minutes. We throughly enjoyed our stay and will go back.

• Liked — The gardens, gounds in general and patios
  • Disliked — Rooms could use a little freshing up
  • Stayed August 2007
3 Thank temp.europeans
Vancouver WA
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Went to celebrate our honeymoon. Booked a cottage & they gave us a lesser rm and charged us more than they originally quoted. Room was ok but every time you flush the toilet or run water it smells like someone passed gas! My husband & I actually ended up leaving this hotel early only to stay at another where we could shower without worrying the whole world could smell rot on our skin.I would not wash my big toe in Lithia springs (mineral) water! The jacuzzi is a joke and breakfast was stale and cold like it had been heated out of a frozen entree.The staff was rude and made our stay unbearable. My husband and I joke that one of the staff reminded us of the main character in the movie "SYBIL" if you are unaware of it, I'll say it simply.. multiple personality disorder. They would tell us one thing and then do another. We were told when we got there they accidently booked our room so they were giving us a better rm. Only to stick us in a smaller less than average rm. The next day we were moved again because a customer that checked in could not climb the stairs to his rm so we needed to give him our rm. So we packed everything up and moved, the next day (even though we said we did not want to move again) we were told that the rm we wanted originally was vacant & we needed to pack up & move because it is what we asked for & someone else requested the rm we were currently in. Then we were charged the highest rate for the nicest rm for every night we were there even though we only had the nice rm for 1 night!!!
The drive in should have been my first RED FLAG because you drive by beaten up houses and its next to a car lot. Oh well at least hopefully I can save one of you the money and time for NOT STAYING AT LITHIA SPRINGS!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — THE SMELL AND THE RUDE STAFF
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank travelgurus07
ashlandinn, Manager at Lithia Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2009
We failed to meet the needs of these two newly married young travelers, which is most unfortunate.

Yes, this is a hot springs and yes there is sometimes a sulfur smell to the water, but usually only at peek-use times. As to the rest of the confusion, I have no explanation, as no complaint we given to our staff.

However, we offer, on the web site and in our Room Binders, that we guarantee your satisfaction or we will refund the cost of your accommodations.

I wish we had been given the chance to refund these young people's money, they would have felt better, as would we.
chelan
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I would recommend that you do not stay at Lithia Springs Hotel in Ashland, Oregon.
When my wife and I arrived we did not get the room we had reserved. The next morning we went to breakfast 20 minutes before the breakfast was over. We were told that they would not make any more because of too many kids had eaten before us.
Lithia Springs claims to have "healing hot-springs water" The water smells of sulpher. I could not take a shower or a romantic hot tub with my wife because of the horrible smell. She also developed a strange rash on her leg. Have you ever brushed your teeth with rotten eggs?
The last straw was when we had discussed changing rooms with the manager. She said that we might not have to change the room and that she would notify us. She did not notify us of the room change and when we left the hotel for a morning activity we arrived back at the hotel with a letter from the manager on our door. The letter stated that we would be charged what ever fees the hotel would incur because other clients wanted our room.
This hotel is dishonest, and made us feel that we were unwelcome as paying guests.
My wife and I travel approximately 20-30 days a year and we have never been treated so rudely - Do not stay here!

• Liked — landscaping
  • Disliked — hot springs stinks like rotten eggs
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business