“Went for the Celtic Jam and Amazing Beer Selection”

The Black Sheep Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 162 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: The Rogue Valley’s own British Public House brimming with eclectic fayre, libation, patrons and conversation.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went here to hear the Celtic jam at the Black Sheep while visiting Ashland. While that was lots of fun, we also had the English cheeseboard which was very good. There are lots of excellent beers on draft as well as an amazing assortment of ales,stouts, lagers and ciders in the bottle. Check out their extensive menus online. There was also a good selection of Southern Oregon wines. I'd highly recommend this as a great place even for families, of which there were quite a few in attendance at the jam.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

LOVELOVELOVE! I'd put up a cot in the back and live here forever, if I could. Those monster stairs will only serve to sculpt my calves and keep out the weak! (But how are they ADA, I wonder?)Unabashed Anglophiles, we loved being transported across the pond in food and atmosphere. That this venue hosts the International Folk Musicians & Dancers Sundays while we were there, tho' anachronistic, was a fun watch. (I only wish the buzzkills behind us would have left if they disliked it so much rather than complain the whole time.) Traditional fish and chips (w/ peas, even!) went superbly with a Black and Tan. Solid service and reasonable prices. I wanted to return several more times during our inaugural visit to Ashland, but Husband insisted we explore other spots. I'll be back- mark my words!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is my second review of this establishment. I recently took my boyfriend here while we were on vacation, and he was just as pleased with it as I was initially.
We both ordered the Buffalo Burger, and we were both very pleased. There were a few mistakes on the order, which had not happened in the past. I had asked for no tomatoes on both my burger and on the side salad. While the salad came correct with no tomatoes, the burger did not, and I had to remove the tomatoes and the juices and seeds were left. My boyfriend's burger came with a bun that had some very small spots of mold on it. Mine was totally fine, and they were very understanding and replaced the bun immediately and brought it with all new toppings (tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, mustard) as well. However, the burger had a wonderful flavour. The mustard was not normal mustard, nor a standard honey-mustard and created a very unique flavour. The onions were grilled in this whiskey glaze that was just amazing! I ordered the Mad Hatter cocktail, a combination of hard cider, lager and raspberry liquor and was quite pleased.

In addition to the bar area, and all of the varying tables, there is a small seating area to enjoy. There are two fireplaces, a large couch and an arm chair, plus a small table or two for drinks. After our dinner we order a second drink and moved to the couch and it was a perfect ending to the evening. They have a TV and at the time there was a baseball game on that we watched. The Black Sheep is very casual, but truly caters to its guests so everyone is happy.

They also offer certain specials and events on certain days of out of the week or month. Sometimes its deals on food or drink, and sometimes its performances at the pub. It just happened that the day we were there was the first Friday of the month, and every First Friday there is an Aerial Ribbon Acrobatic show. The performance consisted first of a duo demonstrating an improved Indian belly dancing routine, then followed by three individual performers doing stunts in the air on the ribbon. It was very impressive to see these acrobats five or six feet above the audience in the pub, twirling and twisting in the ribbon. Both performances were from academies specializing in their art, demonstrating their progress.

If you happen to be in town during the first Friday of the month, I would recommend coming here for dinner and a free show. If not, check online or call to find out about other events on different days. The food is quite good, and as I said the first time: I love the atmosphere that's fully British while still being full of local flair.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We enjoyed a great lunch at the Black Sheep pub downtown Ashland on the Plaza. Fun atmosphere and quality English fair. The food was very good. My husband had the fish and chips which he enjoyed and I had a wonderful spinach, pair salad. Everything tasted fresh & prepared very well. Great stop before a 1:30 play.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I started going 20 years ago and it has remained consistently good. The food and atmosphere are really great. Just a classic pub.