“Loud and limited, average food”

Caldera Brewery & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 161 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Full bar. Family friendly restaurant with attached brewery. 45 Caldera Beers on tap. Fireplace. Outdoor heaters. Amazing views. Great food.
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Met a group of friends who wanted to try Caldera. I first went to their little bar in downtown Ashland but got redirected here. I wish I would have stayed at the bar. It was so much quieter, I could have actually heard what people at the other end of the table were saying.

The food selection at this restaurant is limited and none in our group were wowed with what they got. The common theme was "overcooked." The shrimp on the Poboy were rubber, meats ordered medium and medium rare were well-done.

I had the Italian meat panini, it was more bread than meat and it had the flavor of orange in it, so did one of the burgers ordered.

Out of 8 of us, none were really impressed. One guy really liked the Mogli beer.

This restaurant was loud and every time the doors would be opened we got hit with a blast of freezing air. It was uncomfortable and unavoidable due to the layout and two entry/exits.

The food and service were average, but on the upside the price was reasonable. All agreed that we probably will not be back.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We visited the new brewery location with the whole family. The menu is varied and provides several vegetarian dishes. I believe a couple of which are vegan (I am not 100% sure of this). I had the grilled vegetable panini which was excellent and very reasonably priced. My children all had a cheeseburger of some sort. They appeared to be excellent. The meals came with a choice of soup, salad or a macaroni and potato salad. The burgers were $10.00 and the panini was $12 which seamed very reasonable. There are a number of higher end selections that round out the menu. They also have a number of appetizers. Caldera is one of my favorite beer choices. They have a number of beer selections that should satisfy any palate.

The atmosphere was very nice, open, modern and upscale. The restaurant has beautiful view to the East of the mountains. Service was excellent.

The only drawback is they do not have a children's menu. They do have burgers (which are a little large for a child) and a Mac and Cheese entree.

I look forward to visiting this winter after a day skiing at Mt. Ashland.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am pretty sure that at least one of the reviews posted here about the Caldera Brewery is actually about the Caldera tap House in downtown Ashland. The Brewery is just off the freeway , east of the town, and certainly not within walking distance of the Park or OSF. However, it has great views of the mountains on one side, and the interior is spacious, not to say echoey. The range of beers is terrific, the range of food very limited. I might go there again for lunch with a colleague, but this is not somewhere for a dinner date.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Best Western recommended this place for dinner. It was a very pleasant surprise and just down the road from the motel. The salmon ravioli was intriguing, but tasty. Price wasn't bad. Atmosphere was pleasantly peaceful since I arrived early for dinner. Didn't study the menu closely since the waitress was very helpful. Seemed like there were a lot of curry dishes (not my favorite, but there were other choices). I'd probably go again if returning to the area.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We visited on a sunny Saturday afternoon - seeking a new beer experience I'm Ashland. We were delighted with this new tasting room and restaurant attached to the new brew house. Caldera brew house is at the end of Clover Lane off exit 14 (I-5). There is outside open to blue skies and undercover seating. Inside is a remarkable bar, tap wall and active kitchen. Light music, attentive and welcoming wait staff and reasonable prices. We are looking forward to a dining experience after our beer stop. A hidden gem outside of busy downtown Ashland.