“Great Potential!”

Add it.
CJ's Bistro
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We should give CJs another chance, but last night nothing seemed to be clicking for us. We went there for the meatball stew because so many of you recommended it. They were out even though it was only 6pm. 3 of us switched to burgers, which were fine, but not what we wanted. I ended up with the chicken curry stew, which was delicious. My salad had a spicy dressing (that I couldn't eat). After about 15 minutes, after telling me "no" to having ranch, it appeared. I almost think someone went out and got it. It seemed to be one small thing after another. I think things just go that way sometimes. I'd probably try them again. They were super nice people.

1  Thank familyfunMBSM
There are newer reviews for CJ's Bistro

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I ate a delicious gluten free beef and vegie stew that reminded me of my mother's English stew when I was a child. The meatballs were so tasty. The stew came with a very good seeded gluten free bread. It was a hearty and wholesome meal. We also enjoyed the conversation with the cook.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We went here for a casual dinner and weren't disappointed. The salads were fresh, entries well proportioned and all very tasty. We also got talking with Jasmine, one of the owners (the "J" in the name), and she talked about the specialties she sometimes makes.....we were all intrigued and set a date for a lunch. We came back the next day and it was fantastic! Special eggplant, chicken in a fabulous broth, two types of rice and naan.....a perfect meal.
we're going back the next time we're in Ashland!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I really liked the "Landslide", a very hearty meatball and vegetable stew in a thick, tomatoe-y curry-like sauce. Another party member had the CJ's burger, which was fine, but the sweet potato fries were reported excellent. We'll likely be back, especially in the winter for the hearty stews.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We are locals and dine out frequently in Ashland and elsewhere in the area. This was our first visit to CJ's Bistro. Overall it was OK, but I think it has a ways to go to compete in this upscale tourist environment.

The food menu is very limited, and the wine and beer selection even more so. Four red wines, 4 whites, and 4 beers. A limited menu is fine if the items are really well done. The wines were all pretty ordinary. There were a couple of very good microbrews. The meals were a mixed bag (letter grade in parentheses). I had Carrot & Ginger soup (A-) and the Chicken Tandoori salad (B). My wife had Curry Chicken with vegetables (C). The spices in my dish were nicely done, but any other flavor in the Curry Chicken was overwhelmed by the curry. The chicken in both dishes had a fast-food-like processed chicken texture. Our dining partners had a Blue Cheese Burger (A-), and a Mango BBQ chicken sandwich (A).

Service was fast, as expected, since only two tables were occupied, but the waitress was inexperienced or perhaps not properly trained. She interrupted several times. We told her at the beginning to put everything on one bill and we would split it down the middle at the end. When the bill came and we gave her two credit cards, she said in a rather annoyed voice, "I don't know if we can do that, that is why I asked you at the beginning if you wanted separate checks". Finally we convinced her that all she had to do was divide the total by two and put half on each card.