“Best place on my trip!”

Ashland Hostel
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“Best place on my trip!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on my trip through Oregon. The best. First of all. The owners were amazing. They had great stories and suggestions and asked about my travels. They were so sweet. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance. The beds were clean and really soft and the showers were nice. The kitchen was amazing but I didn't have to use it. Really recommend it!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Shelby T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Six of us met up in Ashland for a weekend get away, and this hostel was the perfect place! We got 2 connecting rooms and even had a bathroom that was all to ourselves. The kitchen was huge, had 3 fridges and great appliances and knives in good condition and everything was so clean! We were able to make dinner 2 nights in a row, and hang out in the common areas and on the very lovely front porch. I highly recommend this place for groups, or for just you. It is super close to the downtown, less than a 5 minute walk to the park etc. Great great place, can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MNP20
Auburn, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I write this review from my comfortable bunk at the Ashland Hostel. The location of this hostel can't be beat, just a couple of blocks from the Shakespeare Festival. I have stayed in a private room when visiting with my husband (I suggest the Shasta room for a private, as it had none of the problems mentioned by a previous reviewer) and have stayed in the dorms a number of times. It's a lovely old house with helpful staff, clean rooms, lovely dining area and kitchen and good internet connection. I frequently travel from California to Washington and I always try to stay here and get "rush tickets" to a play for an inexpensive, yet very nice time in lovely Ashland.

Room Tip: The women's dorms are all fine. If you want a private room, go for the Shasta.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank cindytuisku
California
Reviewed January 13, 2012

It is a hostel so expectations are moderate. It is clean and much used so rooms and beds are not fancy. The walls are thin and the areas are segregated men or women. Can't beat the prices for this town.
Downtown/Festival is so close.
Worth a stay.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank family2shop4
Tampa Bay, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2011

were not what I expected, especially since I have stayed in private rooms in hostels before. The first night, I stayed in a small private room that you had to enter via one of the dorm rooms. So while I had a door that locked, it was weird having to go into a dorm room occupied by 6 women to get to my room. As far as I could see, there was just one bathroom on the second floor for the women to use (one toilet, one sink and two showers to share) and small half bath on the first floor with a toilet and sink. The men stayed in the basement area and I don't know what their bathroom situation was. Also, I don't know how a M/Fcouple could be accommodated in some of those private rooms since entry was through a single-sex dorm room. The second night, I stayed in the largest private room there that had a private bathroom (BIG PLUS) but it was also the emergency exit for the hostel so the door to the room didn't lock and the door to the outside could be accessed from the outside with the entry code (the same code given to all guests for the front entrance.) So I didn't sleep very soundly or take a long, luxurious shower. You could store a small bag or backpack in a locked cabinet but if I had a small suitcase, it would not have fit. It was a nice room.... just a rather odd arrangement.

The hostel itself was clean and the kitchen was well outfitted. Lots of variety of teas and they provided organic coffee. The two refrigerators and large cupboards meant there was plenty of room for everyone's food items. The hostel staff even brought in such things as watermelon and eggs for the guests to use. Free use of a computer, too. The staff members were very nice and helpful. It's a very short and easy walk to Lithia Park, Shakespeare Festival venue and downtown. Parking is VERY tight (3 spaces) but I parked on the street and the car was safe.

I would probably stay here again for a one or two night stay, but I'm not sure I'd splurge for a private room again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank 10sTraveller
Washington State
Reviewed August 11, 2011

charming older home right on the edge of town - walk everywhere - make
yourself at home. clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MKristin
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I recommend this hostel wholeheartedly! This is the best hostel that I have ever stayed in, either in Europe or the USA. The owner, Marilyn, is a great hostess. The place is spotless. The kitchen is large and well equipped. There is enough hot water to take a good, long hot shower. It is within walking distance to Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Festival and all the other plays. There is a laundry room available for guests to use.
In short, this is the place to stay if you are going to Ashland.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo