“Great Location!”

Ashland Hostel
Auburn, California
“Great Location!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I write this review from my comfortable bunk at the Ashland Hostel. The location of this hostel can't be beat, just a couple of blocks from the Shakespeare Festival. I have stayed in a private room when visiting with my husband (I suggest the Shasta room for a private, as it had none of the problems mentioned by a previous reviewer) and have stayed in the dorms a number of times. It's a lovely old house with helpful staff, clean rooms, lovely dining area and kitchen and good internet connection. I frequently travel from California to Washington and I always try to stay here and get "rush tickets" to a play for an inexpensive, yet very nice time in lovely Ashland.

Room Tip: The women's dorms are all fine. If you want a private room, go for the Shasta.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank cindytuisku

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
California
Reviewed January 13, 2012

It is a hostel so expectations are moderate. It is clean and much used so rooms and beds are not fancy. The walls are thin and the areas are segregated men or women. Can't beat the prices for this town.
Downtown/Festival is so close.
Worth a stay.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank family2shop4
Tampa Bay, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2011

were not what I expected, especially since I have stayed in private rooms in hostels before. The first night, I stayed in a small private room that you had to enter via one of the dorm rooms. So while I had a door that locked, it was weird having to go into a dorm room occupied by 6 women to get to my room. As far as I could see, there was just one bathroom on the second floor for the women to use (one toilet, one sink and two showers to share) and small half bath on the first floor with a toilet and sink. The men stayed in the basement area and I don't know what their bathroom situation was. Also, I don't know how a M/Fcouple could be accommodated in some of those private rooms since entry was through a single-sex dorm room. The second night, I stayed in the largest private room there that had a private bathroom (BIG PLUS) but it was also the emergency exit for the hostel so the door to the room didn't lock and the door to the outside could be accessed from the outside with the entry code (the same code given to all guests for the front entrance.) So I didn't sleep very soundly or take a long, luxurious shower. You could store a small bag or backpack in a locked cabinet but if I had a small suitcase, it would not have fit. It was a nice room.... just a rather odd arrangement.

The hostel itself was clean and the kitchen was well outfitted. Lots of variety of teas and they provided organic coffee. The two refrigerators and large cupboards meant there was plenty of room for everyone's food items. The hostel staff even brought in such things as watermelon and eggs for the guests to use. Free use of a computer, too. The staff members were very nice and helpful. It's a very short and easy walk to Lithia Park, Shakespeare Festival venue and downtown. Parking is VERY tight (3 spaces) but I parked on the street and the car was safe.

I would probably stay here again for a one or two night stay, but I'm not sure I'd splurge for a private room again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank 10sTraveller
Washington State
Reviewed August 11, 2011

charming older home right on the edge of town - walk everywhere - make
yourself at home. clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MKristin
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I recommend this hostel wholeheartedly! This is the best hostel that I have ever stayed in, either in Europe or the USA. The owner, Marilyn, is a great hostess. The place is spotless. The kitchen is large and well equipped. There is enough hot water to take a good, long hot shower. It is within walking distance to Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Festival and all the other plays. There is a laundry room available for guests to use.
In short, this is the place to stay if you are going to Ashland.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank fairtraveler12
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Bad atmosphere! This place was full of old men. Hostels are for college age people, not old men. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Nicholas_2207
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2011

This hostel is in a really nice, clean, well kept house. It is pricey for a single, but well located, as it takes only minutes to walk downtown. The linens were clean, but didn't smell like perfumed detergent, which I appreciate. The bed I was given first was so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep, but I moved to another one that was nice. During my stay, I saw four staff. Two were nice, but I wouldn't call them hospitable, just cordial. However, the other two were not at all friendly, avoided eye contact, and acted very uncomfortable talking to the guests. In a hostel being cordial is fine, but being awkward and unfriendly is just inexcusable. A large part of staying at a hostel is the social experience, which they took away from.

There is a no-alcohol policy, which I think is absurd. There are only two common use toilets, which is strange at a hostel. Also, I just found out on the website that there is a recreation room, which wasn't included in my welcome tour. Weird. The website states that: "The Ashland Hostel offers four room styles to suit each type of traveler." It tries to be so many things that it fails to provide a true hostel experience. I wouldn't say I had a bad experience at all, but it wasn't much more than a bed in a nice house, either.

A side note for travelers: The area around Ashland has some nice recreation, but the town itself is so dull that on a Saturday night the bars downtown are empty. The culture is this: wealthy self-entitled westerners who take classes so they can learn how to make and sell art, generic college students, and few others. If you want a cool place that also has art and recreation, visit Portland, San Francisco, anywhere but here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple