“Pretty Awful”

The Palm
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Even with the off-season rates, we felt the room was over-priced, dirty, and has awful showers. We did not expect "new", but the room should have been clean. On a positive note, the towels were clean (I think) and the hotel was close to the Morning Glory restaurant which was very good for breakfast.

Also, we feel the local restaurants are not that good and expensive. This is the third time we have not had good luck in Ashland; it appears the community is a tourist trap for the Shakespeare Festival crowd!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 2ORtravelers
There are newer reviews for The Palm

Reviewed September 9, 2009

the good: beautiful gardens (wanna see my flower pics?); good customer service; rooms with personality (no white walls!); great location; comfortable beds

The bad: rooms have "interesting" smells (they did upgrade our room because of it though); really, really bad showers (like a Katy Perry song - hot and then cold); some rooms could use a Clinton and Stacy makeover.

They took a generic ugly little 1950s motel and turned on the cute factor: flower gardens to die for, arbors over all the rooms, kitchy paint jobs, rugs over the industrial carpets - just gave the place a distinctive personality. but some of the underlying infrastructure needs updating - there are unpleasant and unidentifiable smells in some of the rooms (kinda like grandma's house - ya know?) and the shower we had is one of the 10 worst I've ever used - varying temp, very low pressure (ya - conservation, i know, but...). Anyway, very cute, very personable, some flaws. and it has one of the world's smallest pools! but again, very cute.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We were passing through Ashland and looked for a place to stay within walking distance of town center, The Palm caught our eye probably because of the gardens. It is a nice, basic motel. We had a kitchenette which came in handy. It seem quiet and clean. No problems.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We hadn't been back to Ashland for 15 years. We were looking forward to the theater offered at the Shakespeare Festival. As it turned out, the theater was medioccre but the Palm Motel was marvelous.

The Good:
The room was decorated in mid-forties film noir style. It was cozy and quite romantic.
The bed was incredibly comfortable. We both slept like logs.
We had a very functional little kitchenette that included dishes and utensils.
Our room was next to a lovely garden where I could take breakfast each morning.
The staff were genuinely pleasant.
We could leave our car and walk to town, theater, and restaurants.

The Not So Good:
Room space was at a premium. There was no real clothes closet and the bathroom was a bit snug.
Small television, but we had no need to turn it on.
Rooms at the front might be a bit noisy.

All in all, we would go back in a minute. We loved staying here. It was relaxing, comfortable and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holmes49
Reviewed July 25, 2009

We tried calling to make reservations three months in advance but they were full so we added our name to their wait list. To our surprise they called us to say a room was available, and we were thrilled. We have some very well travelled friends who told us this was one of their favorite places to stay. Fortunately, we were not disappointed. We loved our room, the pool, and the gardens. Plus, the staff actually seemed happy! That's unusual these days so it was very refreshing.

Our two days were restful although Ashland is a town full of activities, so we wished we could have stayed longer. Next time we will book earlier and stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobonthego
Reviewed June 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Palm Cottage earlier this year. We were in town to attend a Shakespeare play. The Palm Cottages is conveniently located a few blocks from the festival. The gardens are charming. The room we reserved appeared contemporary and very reasonably priced. We were very excited about our stay until we returned to motel later that evening. We were just getting ready for bed when we spotted red ants crawling along the walls. I work in the outdoors so in general bugs don't bother me too much. However, when I pulled back the covers to the bedding I found at least 4 fleas living in the pillow top mattress. I was concerned that the fleas had crawled into my baggage while we were out at the play. I have many indoor pets at home and was concerned I'd be bringing home fleas to them. Let alone having to sleep in a bed with fleas crawling around me. The evening staff person didn't appear to believe me until I presented a live specimen I caught in a water cup. I asked for a refund, and she told me that I'd have to speak with management first thing in the morning. Then she left. She didn't even offer me new sheets. So we were stuck. We stayed the night after removing the sheets since we didn't expect compensation the following morning. The next morning I went the front office and presented our problem. I again requested at least some compensation since we now needed to buy flea medication for our 3 animals that could be potentially exposed to fleas due to our left out luggage. The staff person repeatedly told me that pets were not allowed in the room and that this could not have happened. IT DID HAPPEN. She said she couldn't do anything since management was not there yet. I received a call from that same staff person on my home phone later that night. She told me $20 had been refunded to my account. I spent at least twice as much on the pet medication. We would not recommend this place to our friends. Spending time trying to convince someone of something that just won't listen is very frustrating. I know there are hiccups to traveling sometimes. However, this is not what I would call a very relaxing experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank iceman041
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I stayed at the Palm years ago and it was a nice,inexpensive place to stay. It is still a great deal but the place has been completely remodeled and revamped. Beautiful gardens and wonderfully decorated rooms. Our friends stayed in a room with a kitchenette. the table had 4 chairs-one for each of us and a fully equipped kitchen. It was so charming, we grocery shopped at safeway and cooked in. It is close enough to walk into town if you like walking (i do) I have ridden my bike into town(much easier than parking my car) and one can always drive. It is also close to the greatest breakfast place in town "the morning glory"!!! I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travelinrabbit