“the okay, the good, and the extra touch”
Review of The Palm

The Palm
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Most people visit Ashland to see the plays or partake of an activity at the university but I'm often there for business. This is my second visit to the Palm in under a month. The first time I was traveling with my partner, and this time it's for business. I travel at least once a month and occasionally I'm lucky enough to stay in Ashland. It's such a great town, and the Palm Hotel is one of my favorite places.

Last month my partner and I wanted to relax out by the pool but unfortunately, it was closed for a day while they did some repair work and painting. Actually, it was too cold to swim anyway the first day but the following two days were pretty warm and the newly painted deck was appreciated. Even though the weather wasn't great it was still a joy to linger in the peaceful gardens, oh how I wish I had a garden like that! In June the garden was just beginning to come alive (they said it was a late spring) but now in July it is picture perfect. Plus, this year we rented what must be the largest suite and it was stunning. Everything looked new and it even had a large (maybe 30 inch) flat screen and a charming kitchen. I was afraid it was going to be noisy but it was blissfully quiet. Plus they have great beds and linens.

Would I stay there again? Gladly!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank jtravelmonthly

Reviewed July 3, 2008

What a great surprise!!
We had actually book a room at the neighboring motel, but upon our arrival we found it to be a DUMP!!!
They would not give us our money back, but we left them and booked a room at the Palm.
SO glad we did …..!
We will stay at The Palm anytime that we are in the Ashland area.
Clean comfortable rooms that rival Bed and Breakfast’s.
AMAZING gardens and sitting areas
5 Star on a $100.00 budget

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Playa_dust
Reviewed May 30, 2008

First of all, I just want to say how friendly the staff is. They are so welcoming, it was like I was staying with family or good friends. The man at the front desk was quite happy to help me find some wonderful spots in the area. He recommended Morning Glory (which is within walking distance of the hotel) that has the most delicious waffles in the valley. That breakfast was the best tip ever, and I'm so happy that it was shared with us!

Aside from the wonderful food and entertainment ideas, both me and my boyfriend really enjoyed the room and scenery. It's such a beautiful time of year, and The Palm really takes advantage of it. The colors of the room were georgous, and completely relaxing. Everything was so clean and plush and made this trip the best one ever.

The pillows were so soft, my boyfriend seriously contemplated taking them home!

I loved staying here, especailly since I am so used to staying in such large and corporate run hotels. You can definitely feel the higher level of service. With only a handful of rooms, it was great to be able to get to know some of the guests and really feel like I was getting personalized recommendations from the staff.

2  Thank TravelJenny001
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I would have paid much, much more for the room that the lady at the desk offered us.

We arrived tired from a long drive. We looked at several rooms before deciding which one we wanted, but I could have stayed in any one of them -- all of the rooms we saw were that nice. Actually, much nicer than my own home, and my friends always tell me that I have good taste in decor. Not at all like a motel. It was pleasantly charming, yet without the silly lace stuff and floral patterns you see at B&Bs where you are afraid to touch anything. Not like that in the least. Casual elegance I would say.

We added a second night, paying $109 on the Saturday and $89 on the Sunday. Like I said before, I would have paid up to $139 without a problem. The sweet perfume of honey what I think was night blooming jasmine (I might be mistaken) just outside of our room door made it all so worthwhile.

I could go on about all the amenities but you could just read their website, well I suppose I could mention a few: flat screen tv in the room, oddly silent air conditioner made me ask the front desk about the model for my own home, kitchen stocked with utensils, dish towels, glassware, fridge, micro, table, and dish soap (they ask you not to leave a pile of dirty dishes).

2  Thank henrygin
Reviewed May 16, 2008

My wife and I spent two nights at The Palm motel. We will not return.

The "deluxe queen" room to which we were assigned (room 1) was terrible. It wasn't filthy, but was worn out and outdated. The mattress was uncomfortable and the two pillows that we were provided were literally about 3 inches thick. One might say the room was "homey" or "cozy" -- we felt it solidly crossed the line into "junky" territory. The furniture looked felt like it came from a series of yard sales and second hand stores. Again, some people might find this charming. We did not.

Bathroom was extremely outdated. The window did not lock. The sink had cracks in it. The shower and toilet were clean, but very dingy and old. A kitchenette was featured in the room, but it was small with rickety furniture. A microwave oven dominated the kitchen table, making it useless.

Another complaint -- the room did not have good blinds on the windows, so it got extremely bright early in the morning. Finally, noise from the street, parking lot and attached rooms were an issue.

I complained about the room the following morning, and we were reassigned to room 8. It was renovated and certainly nicer, but still not at all worth the $120 price.

Overall, the small motel is decent. Even though we felt that it was very outdated and a bad value, it was clean and safe. Nice grounds (although close to the road) with pretty gardens. Lots of places to sit outside. It is a short walk to downtown Ashland -- maybe 3/4 mile? I do wish we had stayed somewhere closer, so we wouldn't have needed to drive at all.

The desk clerk that we talked with initially and on the second day was very nice and extremely helpful. The office has a great collection of local information. Unfortunately, the woman I spoke with at checkout (perhaps the manager?) was curt. When I explained our problems with the first room that we were assigned, she simply said -- "Thanks. That's good to know." I agree, but I wish I did know before I decided to stay at The Palm.

By the way, both my wife and I thought that the photos on the website are relatively deceiving.

5  Thank PDXDon
Reviewed April 16, 2008

On the last leg of a long drive home with a collector's item pony car, I reluctantly pulled off the I-5 freeway into Ashland, Oregon, looking for a place to sleep. Home was only 5 hours away, but I couldn't make it & I could almost taste the home-cooked food & my precious double-pillowtop bed. Five minutes off I-5 I passed a few typical motels...then a dumpy one...then The Palm, tucked in a lush garden of eden setting. Without question I had to turn around & inquire there. It's immediately off the main street in town, & approx 1/4 mile or so from downtown (where I never went). Indeed, I found the whole property & the pool absolutely beautiful with tall, lush, colorful plants. The buildings themselves are an intimate group of U-shaped remodeled & well-kept little houses. I didn't notice if there were singles, but they are duplexes at the worst, as far having to deal with noisy neighbors goes. I think this type of setting fosters a quieter atmosphere. The fella at the front desk was as friendly & helpful as I can imagine, whom listened to my concerns about parking my car safely, helped all he could, recommended food, & talked Shakespeare (that's what you DO in Ashland). If I hadn't been too tired for company I might have treated him with dinner. I stayed in room #1, closest to the main road at about 50 feet away & never heard street traffic. My unit had three small rooms: one being a sleeping room with a queen bed, end table, tv, & a chair; another being the very well-stocked kitchen with coffee maker, dishes, micro, & small table; the other being a small bathroom with a shower. The entire place was more beautifully decorated than my own home. The bed had a fancy comforter & was reeeeally plush, as were the pillows. I slept perfectly. The tv was about a 19" one, & the remote (or its batteries) need replacing, but it worked. All the basics you need in the kitchen appeared to be there, but be sure & clean up after yourself if you don't want the additional $20 charge for someone else having to do it for you. The bathroom is smaller, but just fine & actually really attractive, with stylish glass & metals, & a large tiled shower with good water pressure & a high shower head. The shower head spray was adequate, but if they have any leftover $ laying around it wouldn't hurt to upgrade mine. Overall, my room was cozy, comfortable and beautifully done. It's great for one & pleasantly cozy for two. I had my own porch & parked only 10 feet away. The pool wasn't heated in April, but it looked appealing. Though it's located immediately on the main road (I can see how some might not like that), they've also taken pains to make it reclusive with the help of tall, thick foliage. There's a number of eating options within walking distance, such as Hispanic food, pizza, seafood, and a mini-mart. I ate at the Hispanic option two minutes from the motel & loved it. Reentry to I-5 is an easy 5 minutes away. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank FreeWithPantsOn
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Unfortunately, despite the charm (very) and cost (enough offseason)
we expected a coffee pot in the room, only to be told only the "deluxe" room had them, however we could
have some at 8:30 in the a.m. office.
we are early risers and felt let down.
p.s. no hairdryer either.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple