“Perfect getaway retreat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reno, Nevada, United States
“Perfect getaway retreat”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've stayed at this place for the last few summers and always look forward to returning. We opted for a classic queen this time. It's by far, the smallest room offered at The Palm. I was somewhat disappointed to find no refrigerator in our room (would have liked to have seen this rather than the little chair, which, although cute, served only to hold our clothes as there wasn't much storage space-would have been better-used with a tiny fridge or wardrobe for clothes). This was likely my mistake as I didn't read the room description carefully enough. The staff was happy to store my perishables in their fridge. Will stay in the larger rooms from here on out. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this place! The pool/patio area is well-cared for, immaculate. As are the grounds. Kudos to the housekeeping staff-my room was 'spiffed up' every day to the point that I even noticed my bathroom rug was replaced each day with a fresh, clean one. The price is a little on the high side, but I think this serves to keep the riffraff away-never a bad thing.

Room Tip: classic queen if you're just passing through. Otherwise, spend more for a bigger, better-equipp...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Don't be fooled by the 50's vintage styling as you drive in; beds are very comfortable, everything is clean and works (nice shower, refrigerator, 3-burner cooktop, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, A/C), the gardens are lovely and the staff couldn't be friendlier or more cheerful, yet not intrusive. A perfect respite from the theatre crowds (which, by the way, are the nicest theatre-goers I've ever encountered).

Room Tip: Each room is unique; inquire about amenities, hardwood floor vs. carpeting, dresser, desk, to be sur...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

They did a nice job renovating an old auto court. It is well decorated in period furniture and accessories, yet it has modern air conditioning and TV as well as WiFi. Our room has a small kitchen with appliances and dinette.
The pool is nice but very small and has pleasant seating around. Grounds are park like and shady for summer use.
Our only problem was the price they charged. First class hotel prices for a small, modest motel, beds were too soft and uncomfortable. We paid almost $300 for a tiny two room suite, twice the price of most motel rooms in Oregon. But this is the peak of summer Shakespeare season in Ashland, and the owners are greedy. As frequent off season Ashland visitors we remember who took advantage of us during the summer.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Malice6
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was traveling back home from Sonoma and thought I would stop in Ashland for the night. I booked a room at The Palm the night before and was pleasantly surprised: What a lovely place and friendly staff. I'll admit that I am a picky person about my living quarters, but the place was clean, cheery, and had wonderful cotton sheets and towels. My only qualm is the price. I was a single and paid $135.00 plus tax. Ouch! And no discount for AAA. I understand this Ashland and quite the tourist town but....... Sometimes the price can make a difference.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel was a trip back to the 50's - a motor court style, complete with vintage sign. However, rooms had been nicely remodelled with comfortable beds & linens, a pillow menu, fresh flowers, and nice individual touches. Our skylit Queen was tiny, but had a light airy feel. The big thing here was the service and the other amenities of the property, which included beautiful gardens set with comfy chairs and tables (we had a picnic lunch here), and a beautiful modern salt water pool with cabanas, plush towels, and again, well tended plants and foliage. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the pool and all seemed genuinely interested in providing the best possible service for their guests. Not a luxury hotel by any means, but a most enjoyable experience, which we would be happy to repeat, perhaps with a larger room. As mentioned in a previous review, the prices are quite high - but after all, this is Ashland. . .

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've come to know and respect what TripAdvisor says when it comes to hotels so, although I thought that the $150 price tag for a standard room at The Palm was a little steep, I went ahead and reserved it anyway. I mean, if TA says it's number one in Ashland, it must be number one, right?
Uh, no.
The Palm, although quaint, has such small rooms and lacks so much in amenities that there's no way to justify the cost. Not only did our room have a funny smell and barely provide enough space to set our bags down, the shower leaked and the exhaust fan did, too. Add in the fact that the hotel is more than a mile from downtown with much better options available for comparable prices right in the heart of the center and The Palm's limited charm withers and dies.
My wife and I are stuck here for tonight because of the hotel's restrictive reservation and collection in advance policies (probably put in place because previous guests have tried to escape once they see The Palm in all its.......glory?) but we hope that you'll read this and avoid making the same mistake.

12 Thank Allen K
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Cute little spot with lovely gardens and a great pool. They were so welcoming to our dog, and happy to make referrals for restaurants, etc. The 15-20 stroll to downtown was perfect for the pooch, and the kitchenette made it simple to travel with the dog as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo