“Six Stars - And Two TVs!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
The Palm
You added The Palm to your Saves list
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montague, California
“Six Stars – And Two TVs!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I spent a very relaxing anniversary in the Sunset Suite earlier this month.
I chose this place because I had stayed here 25+ years ago when it was a dive charging $23 per night. I had noticed this place more recently while driving through Ashland to eat at the Thai Pepper or Kat Wok because it was obvious that upgrades were being done. The garden landscaping and twinkling lights in the courtyard piqued my curiosity. I went to the website and was impressed by what I saw, though I thought I would reserve judgment until we saw it in person.
I chose the Sunset Suite because it touted 2 televisions and 2 separate rooms... my idea of the perfect anniversary... his in one room and hers in the other ;). An unanticipated bonus with this choice was that it is apart from and adjacent to the original motor lodge area, in a small home that has been converted into three units. It has a dedicated shared parking area (suitable for 2 compacts) and on-street parking for larger vehicles. There is a small tree-shaded deck with a cozy sitting area that would be very nice in the spring, summer, or fall. The rooms are tastefully painted in grey with white trim, with a dark wood floor. The photo of this room on the website is the most accurate room depiction I've seen.
The front door opens into a small living/sitting room. The couch is comfortable, with an ottoman/table. There is a wet bar with water glasses, wine glasses, ceramic cups, and 2 coffeemakers. The coffee provided is obviously freshly ground and very tasty.
The bedroom is adequately sized and very nice, the bed was incredibly comfortable, though the bedside clock required a degree in engineering to set the alarm. They have every amenity in the bathroom, a very nice selection of soaps, and fluffy white bathrobes to use during your stay. The large tub is gorgeous and deep. The shower pressure is adequate.
Morning Glory Cafe is only a block away. This was another reason we chose The Palm. Morning Glory opens at 8 AM on the weekends, so we were able to get there just before the rush, have a leisurely and scrumptious breakfast, and then go back to the room to take a little nap before check-out time (11 AM).
The management and staff is quite friendly and accommodating. Read the cancellation policy before you make a reservation on-line. If you have a problem with the policy, I recommend calling The Palm directly and talking to the manager to see about other reservation arrangements.
I will definitely stay here again. I plan on running away from home some evening and renting one of the small rooms in the courtyard area... but that's our little secret... and I'll tell you all about that room afterward.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

The owner of The Palm is unaccommodating and greedy. I cancelled my reservation almost two months in advance, and was told I had to pay an $18 cancellation fee. The worst thing was that they tried to tell me that this was a fee that the bank charged them, and I was lucky because the charge is usually $25 in the busy season. After saying this was a "bank fee," the manager added that they needed to recoup some of the costs of the plants they had put in. I used to think The Palm was a nice place to stay in Ashland, but it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
9 Thank jimmyjames
Lake Oswego, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We have stayed at the Palm (Motel) several times on our way to/from California. The beds are the most comfortable we've ever experienced. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Free wifi is great. We love the location just a block from The Morning Glory restaurant, our favorite breakfast spot on the west coast. The rates during the off-season are reasonable, but during the theater season we have to stay over the border in Yreka or Shasta :(. We wish we could afford to stay here during the warmer months and enjoy their new pool!

Room Tip: The Classic Queen room #6 is a bit small but a good value.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Clean rooms, no smoking anywhere, lawns right outside the room. Greeted by friendly staff who knew where nearby park that allowed dogs was and recommended a good place for breakfast within easy walking distance. We have stayed here before and liked it very much, but not when traveling with a little dog. Couldn't have been more pleased than to find that we could still stay here with the little one.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I love this hotel. It is completely remodeled and a place that I wouldn't mind living in. It felt like a really cool little house. Very cozy, great service, comfy bed, and the special touches made it just that...very special. I stayed in the king room with the fireplace and it was perfect. And the shower was amazing...perfect water pressure and lots of hot water. Topped it off with a soft robe and oversized towels. The location is great too...about a mile walk into downtown. I spent two nights and didn't want to leave. I look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: ask for the cottage in the back...private parking lot and very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Traveling alone fron central Oregon to San Jose, CA, I needed a place to stop for the night where I could rest and feel safe and even pamper myself after a stressful trip. I chose The Palm after driving up and down Siskiyou Blvd. several times because it was very pretty and inviting looking and not a typical "row" motel. The staff is wonderfully helpful and friendly. The rooms are like little cabins. The one I had had a little kitchen and wonderful wood floors and a very clean and comfortable bathroom. A very big plus for me was the free wyfi that actually worked with absolutely no hassel with getting passwords. The bed was very comfortable and even though I didn't use it, the pillow "menu" is a wonderful idea. I didn't get to use the swimming pool, but I will definitely stay there again and enjoy the heated, salt water pool.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have been staying at the Palm for years as a rest stop on the drive from Portland to San Francisco. We have never had a bad experience. Check in is easy and friendly, the rooms are cozy and the light is always on greeting us. We won't stay anywhere else in Ashland. The new pool is gorgeous too!

• Stayed November 2011