“a surprising experience”

El Paraiso Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #47 of 162 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having arrived late to the hotel next door, we decided not to travel far for dinner. A Mexican restaurant wasn't our first choice, but convenience ruled. Being from Texas, eating a Mexican dish anywhere else is often a disappointment. Jesus, the manager and our server, made sure we were satisfied AND our meal was excellent. A good choice for anyone.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We love this place. Good food, great prices. Love their vegetarian burritos, and other veggie options.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Coming from Southern California my husband and I have been exposed to a lot of Mexican food, from little hole-in-the-wall burrito shops to San Diego's Old Town district with all its diverse offerings. So when we moved to Ashland we were disappointed - but not surprised by - the Mexican food we found here. However, El Paraiso was surprisingly bad.

Having tried Agave's mostly tasty but expensive offerings, El Tapatio's bland, greasy food, and La Casa del Pueblos basic fare we were excited to try Ashland's newest Mexican restaurant. Oh well.

I ordered the Camarones Diablas which was described as shrimp with butter, garlic and spices, and came with beans, rice and tortillas. My husband had an enchilada combination which also came with beans and rice. His was edible,with a light, bland red sauce and smothered with cheese. Mine on the other hand was literally inedible. The shrimp were completely overcooked to a rubbery consistency and were swimming in a thick red sauce that tasted like concentrated tomato paste with tons of chili added. No trace of butter or garlic. I like spicy food but this was like a strange very hot Italian red sauce with canned mushrooms in it. To make the dish even worse the shrimp still had their tails on, so if I had been brave enough to try to spoon some in a tortilla I'd have to pick through the thick red sauce to remove the tails, unlike a scampi where you don't mind licking the butter of your fingers.

Because I found the shrimp inedible I ate mostly beans and rice, and chips and salsa, none of which were very well prepared themselves and all seemed low quality. I love Mexican food, love beans and rice and make beans at home all the time without and digestive issue. However, later that night I had stomach cramps and gas from the beans.

Suffice it to say we will not be back, but I do want to mention some saving graces. Our waiter was very friendly and there was other waitstaff that was very attentive. We also appreciated the sizable pours of Caldera, which they had on tap.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Authentic Mexican food, owned and operated by Americans of Mexican descent. Excellent food, not greasy, served hot. The staff is always friendly.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We dined here two nights when staying in Ashland recently, primarily because this was close to our hotel and there was construction on the overpass into town. However, we enjoyed the food enough the first night to go for a repeat visit the next day.

The restaurant is modern, clean, and attractive. The food was good quality Mexican. We did not take advantage of the free ice cream dessert because we were too full. I love Mexican cuisine and I would rate this average to good food.