“Tasty Ethnic”

Sauce
Ranked #36 of 162 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: Nepali
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Very fresh, tasty ethnic food. We had a delicious, garlicky naan topped with feta, etc. The house cabbage salad was also very good with yummy sesame dressing. I was disappointed in the lamb plate. Not much meat and overcooked but the quinoa was good. I will stick with vegetarian on our next visit. Overall pretty good but (typical of Ashland eats) overpriced. Also, skip the house wine.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Sauce had some of the best food we ate in Ashland. First of all, everything was organic and fresh...so much so that we could tell. That's saying a lot. I can't remember the last restaurant I've eaten at that used such high quality ingredients. Also, the food was really good. Everything tasted great. Most dishes are somewhat simple, but it was really worth it.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Some of the best healthiest food in Ashland! Home cooked delicious mostly organic food. Love the garlic Kale and the squash and the garlic Nan too. This is not traditional Indian food at all, try it you will NOT be sorry!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I heard so much about this place and we had pretty high expectations for it, probably my first mistake.

We ordered the Gaia Plate and the Tuscan Vegetables to go. First, we were pretty surprised they put everything in one box. Any decent restaurant separates the rice from the main dish (some people like to serve these out separately, since we got a combination of white/brown and two dishes). Not the biggest deal, but why not??

Now, I'm not sure if they were trying to play a joke on me by calling their restaurant "Sauce" and having a tagline that says "Makes it Tasty", but I feel pretty cheated. For one, there wasn't a drop of sauce on anything, except a small (very small) amount of sesame yogurt sauce. Beyond that, the meal was a pasty mess of overcooked and dried out veggies over mushy rice! As far as the "makes it tasty", I've had Matza that was was more savory and spiced.

It gets one star for the kale chips, loved those, and they were the only saving grace. I couldn't even finish my meal (let me wife have it) and ironically the next day, she had to create her own sauce just to pour over it!

Perhaps we hit it on a bad night, or perhaps they have no clue how to make food to go, but what a waste of time and resources.

P.S. And really Sauce, you're going to take up 80% of your dining area with two giant benches? Take a loan out and invest in a few more tables and chairs. While you're at it, get some extra to-go boxes, too.

1  Thank CreatureFeature16
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Roasted veggies with brown rice or quinoa and the house special Sauce, EXCELLENT! Pricing was reasonable, especially for Ashland.

Interesting table set-up: two long picnic-type tables for larger groups, and numerous small tables for 2 around the edge. Lots of draped fabric and small twinkle lights and soothing music makes this place a family-friendly place. A hit among the locals

The food is ordered at the counter, and your food is brought out to your table afterwards. Likewise drinking water, tableware and napkins are all 'self-serve', and the menus are on sheets of paper attached to the wall leading up to the cash register counter .