“Perfect!”

Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have been going to Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival every year for over ten years. The Ashland Inn and Suites is the perfect hotel. The location is perfect. You park your car and walk everywhere, dinner, plays, shopping, hiking in Lithia Park, art galleries, etc. The service is perfect. We were greeted cordially. Always a friendly and gracious person to help us with our every wish. Wine glasses on the patio. Pillows from the "pillow menu". The food services were perfect. Breakfast buffet (with waffles as a choice), every morning. Cookies, hot chocolate chip, with milk, at night when you return from a play.

Room Tip: We like creekside rooms. Nice view and, if you leave your window open, you can hear the creek and t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ellen W

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My family and I were traveling through Ashland and decided to stay at this property. Everything about our stay was awesome. We had a great front desk agent check us in she was very friendly and knew a lot about the hotel as well as the town I remember her because her name was Yessi and I thought it was funny that she said yes to everything I thought that was funny because of her name. We arrived just in time for the wine tasting which was fantastic my son got a snack and my husband and I got a nice little drink after driving all day. Since we were traveling with a pet we didn't think that we would be able to attend the wine tasting however the Assistant General Manager offered to watch our dog while to stepped in to grab our wine. I thought that was outstanding we had the AGM pet sitting just so we could enjoy one of their amenities that they offer! Special thanks to Darby for that. All that interactions we had with all of the staffing at this property was outstanding it blew my husband and I way! We will defiantly be returning to this hotel if we are ever in the area again! The property is well maintained and the staff is a real gem they have a great team working at this property. Thank you for truly making our one night stay memorable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brenda M
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Three of us stayed in a suite, with one on the sofa sleeper. She reported that the sleeper was fine for the three nights we were there. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated. Breakfast had healthy (fruit and yogurt) and more standard fare (eggs and sausage or bacon) available. The location is very convenient to access the plays at the Shakespeare Festival.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DavisPeak
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Have stayed here many times. It is always clean, pleasant, and wonderfully cozy. The amenities are always quality, and the cookies at night are worth waiting for.

The grounds are nice, and have spotted many a deer walking though. The rooms are comfortably sized, and the furniture commensurate with the hotel's atmosphere.

The hotel is quiet and the property is overall highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CS F
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Inn was absolutely lovely. We arrived recently on a very warm afternoon in Ashland. The Inn was beautifully decorated. The room was clean, and very cool! We enjoyed the cookies and milk upon our return to the hotel in the evening. Breakfast was delicious! Another great extra is the Pillow Menu that was perched on the bed. It was nice to be able to test out different types of pillows. We loved our time in Ashland!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elyse T
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location, we can walk to most everything, great beds, very quiet and very well managed. We've stayed 3 times and they have all been great. Will come back again.
There is a spa/ hot but no pool. There is a free breakfast, a free snack at 5:oo pm and a late night snack. The king suite we had is a good size and we like the separate sitting area for watching TV.

Room Tip: We've stayed in both buildings but prefer the main building where the office is. We were on the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank grampajazz
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Congratulations to the management of this hotel for being so successful that they don't have to worry about whether clients return. Before leaving Ashland this year, I stopped in to the lovely historic Ashland Springs hotel and made reservations for 4 rooms for a week next June 2014, which I told the front desk supervisor as I checked out, she blithely replied, "Hope you enjoy your stay there."
My employer pays for this trip, and I've encouraged family and friends to join me over the years.
I was so mad earlier this week when I wrote my review, that I decided to wait until I had calmed down. But I'm still mad and sad. That's probably why I didn't give them an "Average" rating.

Must be nice to be so successful that you don't have to care about clients who have been coming to your hotel for, oh say, the past 11 years. I called in April to book our 4-day stay. I was assured by the young lass who took my reservation that she would be able to move me from the pet-friendly part of the hotel to the regular hotel by July.
I arrived today. The front desk clerk said, "Oh you have animals?" I said "No." But here I am, in a room that smells like urine, with a thundering herd of children overhead. All because they got really busy this week and everything booked up and they couldn't be bothered with the trouble of honoring a guest's reasonable request.
We wheeled our luggage rack over to the pet palace and found that the maid's cleaning cart was blocking our room. She sullenly moved it and watched with disinterest as we attempted to maneuver around her to get into our room. No offer of help or even an effort to get her cart sufficiently out of our way. What's up with that?
When I called to make reservations in April, the reservation clerk assured me that although they appeared to be fully booked, she thought we could be moved into the main hotel by July. It was clear when we checked in, that no thought or effort had been made to do so. So we stayed out in the dog house. Our room, #105, stank. The air conditioning unit rattled every time the compressor came on, waking us up throughout the night. They sent a handy man to fix it. He shoved the unit when it came on and the rattle stopped. So it was simple, during the night, all we had to do was get up every time the air conditioner came on, go over and shove the unit. I finally pulled the cover off and the rattle stopped. If you stay in the pet friendly dog house, you will hear dogs barking, particularly the poodle in the room next door to us, but only when his owners were out, which was much of the time.
Be aware that the manager of the hotel has left a nifty little note (see below) in each room, letting you know that if you leave ANY of your stuff ANYwhere, the cleaning staff won't clean that area. For example, if you leave a piece of paper on the bed, they won't make the bed (we experimented!). Also, if you don't clear out of your room during the morning when they are cleaning, you will need to request room service, which you may or may not get. I tried to shame them one year by asking to borrow a vacuum cleaner to use in our room, they were happy to let me vacuum my own room.
Another year we had a family walk in on us (we weren't dressed) because they had double-booked our room.
The hotel does not have enough parking, requiring you to leave your car on the street if you don't get there early enough. We had our windshield wipers bent back on our Range Rover in the past when we've had to park on the street. There is a seedy, feral population in Ashland that you need to be aware of, particularly at night.
Despite these incidents we kept returning. My parents (80s) don't like change. This hotel isn't a bad place, like a good Best Western. Eleven years ago it was new, and very nice. Not a great deal has changed over the years, now it's a bit tatty and dated, although they finally did update the woefully inadequate breakfast area. However, for essentially the same price, you can stay at the Ashland Springs hotel, a lovely gracious historic building, right next to the Shakespeare Festival and in the heart of the town, with a great restaurant on the premises and within a 2-block range. But you will need to make your reservation early to ensure that you don't get stuck at a lessor hotel i.e. Plaza Inn & Suites. Again, congrats to the Plaza Inn and Suites for your business success.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the dog house unless you have pets. Bring incense if not. Room #105 in the pet palace...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank SaladAlexander
SJohnsonGM, General Manager at Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

I am truly disappointed you will not continue to stay at the Plaza and understand that apologies will not change your mind. I would be remiss to not acknowledge and thank you for your many years of patronage.
I realize @ the time you booked your room there was not a room available in the main building, A room had opened up in the main building and a message was left stating we could move you but we did not hear back. Generally the direction is to not change the room type until we hear back from the guest, obviously that was a mistake and again, I apologize.
If you reconsider in the future, I am only a phone call away and would love to personally help make the next stay a positive and happy memory.
I wish you and your family many years of happiness.
Shannon