“Charming, not perfect”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Eugene, Oregon
“Charming, not perfect”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

This is a lovely old hotel that is beautifully decorated and trying hard to make the best of what it has. Unfortunately, my experience is that it has rooms that are quite small and old doors that thud loudly at all times of the day and night. I appreciated the large bathroom and stunning view from my room--but learned the hard way that the view came with a price--loud street noise each weekend night of my stay (until 3:30 a.m. one night, and 5 a.m. the second night!) Unfortunately, my visit coincided with graduation celebrations at Southern Oregon University.
The hotel (and all other hotels in town) was full that weekend. I had a "privacy" sign up on my door until 10 a.m., then left for three hours. My room was never cleaned, even though I was gone during 'prime cleaning time' (10-1 p.m.) Front desk explained that they were "booked full" and that was likely why my room was not cleaned. Evidently you only get one chance, and in my case it was between 8-10 a.m.
I ate one meal--lunch--in the restaurant, and it was great. I would have liked to have eaten there more often.
The 'tea time' from 3-5 is literally just that: tea. Period. No snacks at all. That could be improved upon. The evening snack time (9-midnight) offers a snack mix and popcorn. Breakfast was not bad--fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, scones, bagels, an apple or hardboiled egg, coffee and tea. Nothing fancy, but sufficient.
My room was clean, and I appreciated the very clean bathtub (kind of a rarity now even in the best hotels).
I'm not sure I would recommend this hotel. It would depend on how many people shared the room (mine was fine for a solo traveler) and how much sleep you wanted to get.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Thai first
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We have an extremely pleasant experience at the Ashland Springs Hotel. We arrived in Ashland an hour prior to the 1:30 pm start time of the play we were seeing and decided to ask if we could check into our room at 12:30 pm. The front desk was happy to accommodate us and we were immediately allowed to check into our room. Although the rooms might be considered smaller than most "American" hotels, the room fine for us. Breakfast the free breakfast was served on the mezzanine. We both thought the Ashland Springs hotel felt like a European hotel. We would definitely recommend it.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Easy to find, check in easy, parking handy. Booked a queen botique room which was a very clean, SMALL, space with a window opening on the alley. Due to a lack of heat in the room, called down for an extra blanket. Three hours later, the blanket was delivered with an apology for the hours wait. Having stayed at a few hotels that were on the historic register, my opinion is that this property is balanced on the edge between quaint ........and an old hotel simply in need of refurbishment in some areas, worn out carpet in the hallways being a good place to focus on. One other odd thing is the placement of the ice and vending machines outside of the hotel in the rear on the walkway to the parking lot? The lobby is interesting, as is the complimentary breakfast area. The parking area is on a quite steep slope, could be quite interesting in the winter in this area!!! Overall, not bad, but not enough to go back or recommend....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
AshlandRep, Director of Sales at Ashland Springs Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Thank you very much for your review.
I was sorry to hear that there was no heat in your room and that the blanket was not delivered to you in a timely manner. Here at Ashland Springs Hotel we strive to provide the highest customer service possible. Thus, such incident is unacceptable and we are taking steps to make sure this does not take place ever again.
Thank you for pointing out the condition of our hallway carpets. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of replacing all of them. Just last week we had the entire 4th floor recarpeted,
In regards to the location of the ice & vending machines by the rear hotel access, it was our conscious decision to move them there. Formerly both these machines were located on the 5th floor where they interrupted our guests's restful stay. We truly hope current location is much more convenient to our guests.
I hope overall you had a good experience at the Ashland Springs Hotel and that you will give us another chance to see all the improvements.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or futher comments.
At your service,
Karolina Wyszynska
Director of Sales & Marketing
Northern California
Reviewed May 14, 2010

This hotel used to be the Mark Anthony. It underwent a badly needed refurbishing when it became the Ashland Springs, but it still retains a lot of the old-hotel quirkiness. Not for people who like modern facilities. The large rooms in the Mark Anthony were divided into much smaller rooms; the corner rooms tend to be a bit bigger. Be sure to check out the amazing views from the sitting area on the top floor.

The main benefit of staying here is the deal location. This hotel is perfectly suited if you are attending the plays. Also close to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The Ashland Springs Hotel is a historic building and shows its good points and bad. The room (one of their King Deluxe) is small but about average for a hotel of of this age. It is designed for the theater crowd. Period. the restuarant, Lark, closes at 8:30, including the bar. Not going to the theater...too bad. Our room does not have a coffee pot ($160 room). you have to go downstairs for coffee or hot water. Our drapes would not close completely. It could be fixed easily but I did not not pack a step ladder with me. I called the front desk and was told she was the only person on duty and would have to wait until morning. This is an East facing room so sunrise will hit us directly. For this class of hotel there should be someone around to take care of minor problems in the evening.
If you are looking for a good place to stay with easy access to the Theaters, this place wrks well
It does have free wifi internet accesss but it is slower than molasses

Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed April 27, 2010

My teenage daughters and I stayed at Ashland Springs Hotel during a spring break trip to Oregon. Everything about this place is delightful. The rooms are beautiful, quiet, and spacious. (We had a two-queen room with a large bathroom. I see that some other guests have mentioned that their rooms were small---I'm guessing that the rooms vary in size, so if size is an issue, make sure you inquire when you book. ) Continental breakfast was fine---nothing terribly exciting but good nonetheless, and definitely a cut above what you would get at a chain motel. The on-site restaurant, Lark's, is excellent. This hotel is a beautiful reminder of gracious old hotels, but with an appealing, relaxed attitude.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Medford, OR
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I won a night's stay at this hotel from my work's Christmas party and was excited when I finally got to use it. When we first walked in I was really surprised at how nice and elegant it looked. The staff was really friendly and the whole place just felt classy. Our room was nice and comfortable. I would recommend it to any of my family when they come visiting.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple