“Historic Hotel gave me bad vibrations”

Ashland Springs Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed June 2, 2006

We stayed at the Ashland Springs Hotel over the Memorial Day Holiday. The hotel is what you would expect in an old historic building. The rooms are smaller than average (approx 200 sqft) so things are very tight. The location is great if you want to be right down in the heart of beautiful Ashland. But, the big drawback was a continuous high pitched vibration sound coming from the air handling unit. Turning the unit off, did not stop the noise. And, the front desk literally said, "oh yeah, well that is a problem that every room has. We can't do anything about it". They were nice enough to give us a free meal at the adjoining restaurant. But, sleep was impossible without using earplugs. It's that loud and annoying. I would hope that the hotel management will look into rectifying this apparent problem that effects every room, according to the front desk. It is a very cute hotel, if you don't mind a very tight quarters.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank Dragonfly972
There are newer reviews for Ashland Springs Hotel

Reviewed May 16, 2006

The hotel preserves its old style ambience and adds outstanding service. I have never encountered more responsive and joyful service and I am a heavy user of hotels, travelling extensively on business. The receptionist, Amy was charming and fun and delivered immediately to our every request. We are fussy guests and she never made us feel that way. We recommend that you stay on the 9th floor, where the rooms are larger and the views are outstanding - to the hills over the valley. Nothing exceptional about the rooom itself apart from the view and large windows giving an airy feel. The lobby is charming with its 30s style as is the restaurant. Avoid the "included" breakfast on the mezzanine, with unexeptional food and the weakest coffee on the planet. Go instead to the hotel restaurant where an excellent breakfast is available and the coffee has coffee in it. The reason I would not rate this hotel as excellent is because of the limited outside space - a tiny courtyard garden only. If they could replace the huge car park with some more elegant gardens, then it would be perfect.
Ashland is a sweet town, where the main activity seems to be eating and shopping - with a great sleection of restaurants ranging from simple to upmarket and lovely clothes and jewellry shops for women - what are the men supposed to do all day while the ladies buy elegant accessories?

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank DarylFielding
A TripAdvisor Member
Palo ALto Ca.
Reviewed January 22, 2006

We recently spent our christmas vacation in Ashland at the Ashland Springs Hotel and were not thrilled with our stay. We must say the lobby is wonderfull and full of grace and charm. The rooms though are small and did not seem to carry on with the charm and elegance.One thing that both my wife and I notice was the staff was mostly young and did not show service as a number one priority. What we notice most though from our stay was the unhappy staff that we came accross.As we have read from another review from this site that the staff are underpaid and we firmly believe that this must be a contributing factor in the staff below level service. Over all our stay was substandard and we would recommend trying one of the many bed and breakfasts that Ashland has to offer.

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2006

Agree with other comments, Lobby beautiful, queen bed rooms tiny but functional and location is prime. Problem was at check out when I presented with a bill of over $2800 (should have been less than $285). Two long distance charges were on the bill from day of check-in (when I wasn't even in the room)- each for identical amounts and each over $900. Objected to chgs & was told front desk had no authority to change bill so had to wait for manager. Manager arrived, admitted they had phone probems, said he fixed bill and walked away. 2nd bill still showed balance of over $1800 (which again I objected to). 2nd time manager came down he was quite abrupt and insisted that if I subtracted one figure from the other I would arrive at the amount I actually owed. took over 1/2 hour to finally resolve their error with no apology offered by that manager at any time. Like the title says, review your bill at checkout carefully!
side note: once home, I e-mailed the incident details to the attention of the general manager who did send me a gift certificate for a free nights lodging to compensate me for hassle...

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
9  Thank sharted
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 4, 2006

The Ashland Springs is a nicely restored small-scale hotel. The staff were very pleasant, nice continental breakfast, free parking, great location. The room itself was small, but we hardly spent anytime in there except to sleep.
The highlight of our trip to this hotel was dinner in their new restaurant 'Larks'. We had a fantastic meal here. We had dinner here on New Year's Day and the place was hopping. Great food and wine, and the chocolate desserts were exceptional.
I highly recommend staying at this hotel and dining at their in-house restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 21, 2005

This can be a great hotel if you understand what you will recieve. Essentially, upper class elegance for a moderate middle class price.

Here is exactally what you need to know regarding room sizes:
The rooms that are the best bang for your buck are the View King rooms. Midpriced and normal sized rooms.
Do not stay in a Junior Queen or Standard Queen without being prepared for an especially small (but cheap) room. If you don't plan on spending time in your room except to sleep and you want to be in the heart of Ashland's downtown and next door to the Shakespeare festival, this room is perfect because it is cheap and gets the job done.
Remember, no rooms are all that large, but some are really small.

The breakfast is decent, the parking is wonderful (parking downtown is nearly impossible) and included in the room.

The staff is usually very good at what they do, and unfortunately many are underpaid. So, we made a point to let their managers know if we appriciated how they are doing. Recently, the hotel has had many changes in management, so they said feedback is really helpful.

Overall, I enjoy the Ashland Springs Hotel and I think it is overlooked by some who think it is going to be out of their price range. Always check for special deals when you call, we usually always take these.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank Paul_Hewsen
Reviewed November 16, 2005

My family had a magnificent time at the Ashland Springs Hotel. The decor was warm and inviting, the room was cozy and charming yet very functional and the bed was exceedingly comfy! The down comforters are amazing. The front desk staff was friendly, attentive, and well informed about various activities going on in town. The hotel is located right next to the Oregon Shakespeare Theatre and close to Lithia Park which is quite convenient. The expanded continental breakfast was more than I expected. I usually feel lucky to get a piece of fruit, muffin and a cup of coffee at most places that offer “breakfast”, but we found hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, bagels, hot and cold cereals, yogurt, homemade granola, juices, breads, and to top it off the beautiful oversized windows let the sun stream in, making the room bright and cheery with a great view. There is also a beautiful little English garden that is a great place to sit and enjoy the surroundings. They were setting up for a wedding the next day, what a great place to get married!
The food at their new restaurant Larks was delightful. I had the Osso Bucco and was blown away by how tender the lamb was it simply melted in your mouth, it was served with a sweet corn spoon bread that was unlike anything I have ever had and I thoroughly enjoyed every morsel! My husband had the fried chicken and LOVED it (and he is a fried chicken snob!) We hardly had room for dessert but had to try the apple crisp - YUM!!!! We were very impressed by both the food and the friendly service it came with. We will definitely be back! I do however recommend making reservations early as they do book up early for the summer season. We ended up going in October, since they were sold out on the dates we wanted, but it turned out perfect! The weather was grand, the crowds were gone, and the colors in town were spectacular!

• Stayed: October 2005