“Absolutely amazing”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Portland, Oregon
“Absolutely amazing”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

What a beautiful, wonderful old hotel. So much charm and character. The room was large, very clean and comfortable. Stayed on the 14th floor in a corner room. The views were incredible. The staff were very friendly and helpful. This was my first time to stay in Ashland and only stayed one night. I will definitely return for a longer stay and this will be my hotel of choice. Very affordable. The breakfast was okay, not much choice in fruit, but that could be the season. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large with a nice deep tub. Thank you Ashland Springs for making the start of my vacation so nice.

Room Tip: definitely ask for the upper floors on the east side for the best view of the valley
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Thai first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have stayed here several times. The quality of the hotel remains very high. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are well appointed. The colors are calm and pleasant. Rooms have comfortable beds with nice linens and towels. Framed, pressed flowers are attractive. This hotel is always sparkling clean.
Nice to stay so close to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival theaters. I literally returned to my room for an item i left behind, and easily returned to my seat before intermission ended!
Be aware, though, that the rooms are quite small. My queen-bedded room was about 130 square feet (12 square meters), including the tiny closet and small bathroom. But, it had two large windows with a nice view of downtown and the mountains. I think this room would be a bit crowded for an extended stay or for two people staying for more than one night. The bathroom would be a tight squeeze for a large-sized person.
The staff are helpful and available 24 hours.

Room Tip: Book early- this hotel is often fully booked months in advance! Front-facing rooms have nice views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank califbikegal
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stay here when we need an adult getaway. We like to be able to park the car and not see it again until we leave. Located right downtown you can walk to just about everything you could want to do. The theaters and park are very close as well as many fine restaurants, we have yet to find one we have not liked. The Hotel aims to please it is a very beautiful art deco hotel that everyone should stay in at least once. We have yet to have a bad room but we prefer the King Suite overlooking the main street. The restaurant in the Hotel the "Larks" is probably one of the best in Ashland.

Room Tip: Call the Hotel as early as possible as they are usually booked.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for my first trip to Ashland so I can't compare to other hotels in the area. However, it was a great place to stay. The staff was friendly, it was very quiet (it didn't sound like there was anyone else on our floor, or above us). The room was stocked with great amenities: robes, usable shampoo, conditioner and lotion, even q-tips and cotton balls! The complementary continental breakfast had a gread spread: fresh cooked oatmeal (no packets here) with a plethora of toppings, yogurt, bagels with the best herb cream cheese I've tasted, cinnamon rolls, muffins, fruits and I'm sure I'm missing something! Very conveniently located in the center of downtown, short walk to the theaters (performing arts and movie theater) and great restaurants. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the AH Hotel. A charming rendition of the hoteleries from the belle epoch of southern Oregon. With a recent upsurge of interest in the Rogue wineries and the ongoing cultural draw of the Oregon Shakespearian Festival, this is a perfect destination. You will have a blending of old building charm and tender care in making the very best of the challenges that an old hotel brings structurally. But that being said, you will be treated with the very best of customer service. We also ate at the highly rated Lark restaurant supervised by the hotel. Regrettably, my meal, one of six, didn't match my expectations, so the hospitality supervisor offered to refund or to gift a meal on return at my discretion. This offer was done with such genuine concern for my welfare that I was dumbfounded. I have rarely received such excellent customer service, not at all limited to the cheery offers of help at every level of contact with the hotel staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Parking is complementary with a central location. We enjoyed the rooms facing the entrance street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel with lots of old world ambience. It has everything you would want to find in a hotel. The spa is a wonderful addition to this grand dame. It is in the heart of Ashland and very convenient to everything.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have been traveling between homes in San Francisco and Portland for many years, and attending the Shakespeare festival off and on for at least 30 years. In the old days (before the rehab), when ASH was was called The Mark Anthony (informally, The Bates Motel), we stayed there with our teen aged children who loved the place. Now that we are older and the hotel is updated and really charming, they treat us like old friends. Many of the rooms are small, so we always try for a King Room. Excellent breakfast is included. We always eat at Larks restaurant, which in my opinion is the best dinner in town, and we have tried them all. This is our favorite place to stay in Ashland, whether attending OSF or just passing through for the evening when driving between our homes.

Room Tip: Third floor for easy access to parking. Higher floors 7 through 9 are quietest. King rooms are dec...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family